Rotational Kinetic Energy of Disks

In summary, a disk with a mass of 4kg and a radius of 2m is rotating around an axis and gaining 20J of kinetic energy for every radian of angle it turns through. The problem can be solved using the Chain Rule and setting up an equation to determine the number of revolutions completed after 4 seconds. The rotational kinetic energy is related to the angle and time, and the relationship between angular speed and time can be used to solve the problem through integration.
chrisa88

Homework Statement

A disk with a mass of 4kg and a radius of 2m is free to rotate around an axis that passes through the center of the disk and perpendicular to the plane of the disk. The rotational kinetic energy of the disk is increasing at a constant rate of 20 J/rad; that is, the energy increases linearly with the angular displacement of the disk. If the disk starts from rest how many revolutions has it completed after 4s?

Question
I'm not exactly sure if I know how to solve this problem. I have solved problems that were similar, but the rotational kinetic energy of 20 J/rad is throwing me off. Why is the Krot= 20 J/rad?? I thought that Kinetic energy was in Joules only. My only thought is that this problem requires me to do the integral or derivative of the Krot=1/2Iω2 equation. Is my thought process wrong or am I interpreting something wrong here?
Help would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!

-Christopher

Physics news on Phys.org
chrisa88 said:

Homework Statement

A disk with a mass of 4kg and a radius of 2m is free to rotate around an axis that passes through the center of the disk and perpendicular to the plane of the disk. The rotational kinetic energy of the disk is increasing at a constant rate of 20 J/rad; that is, the energy increases linearly with the angular displacement of the disk. If the disk starts from rest how many revolutions has it completed after 4s?

Question
I'm not exactly sure if I know how to solve this problem. I have solved problems that were similar, but the rotational kinetic energy of 20 J/rad is throwing me off. Why is the Krot= 20 J/rad?? I thought that Kinetic energy was in Joules only. My only thought is that this problem requires me to do the integral or derivative of the Krot=1/2Iω2 equation. Is my thought process wrong or am I interpreting something wrong here?
Help would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!

-Christopher

That 20J/rad is telling you that every radian of angle the disk turns through, it's gaining 20J of rotational kinetic energy.

This problem can be solved very easily by a repeated application of Chain Rule.

Let ##K## be the rotational kinetic energy. It's a variable that changes with time and angle.

##\theta## is angle the disk has turned through (from the start), ##\omega## is the instantaneous angular speed (##\omega = \frac{d\theta}{dt}##) and ##t## is time.

You're given ##\frac{dK}{d\theta}=20J/rad##.

What's the relationship between ##\frac{dK}{dt}##, ##\frac{dK}{d\theta}## and ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}##?

What's the relationship between ##\frac{dK}{dt}##, ##\frac{dK}{d\omega}## and ##\frac{d\omega}{dt}##?

With this, you should be able to set up a simple equation where ##\omega## cancels out. You're left with a simple number for ##\frac{d\omega}{dt}##. From that, you should be able to determine the answer by simple integration (twice). Post again if you need help.

Curious3141 I very much appreciate your reply! That was very helpful. I believe I understand it now. I've been very busy with lab reports so I haven't been able to go back and make sure I understand it, but I will do that tomorrow. Again, thank you very much!

-Christopher A.

Related to Rotational Kinetic Energy of Disks

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis. It is dependent on the mass, shape, and velocity of the rotating object.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for rotational kinetic energy is K = 1/2Iω^2, where K is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What factors affect the rotational kinetic energy of a disk?

The rotational kinetic energy of a disk is affected by its mass, shape, and angular velocity. The moment of inertia, which is dependent on the mass and shape, also plays a role in determining the kinetic energy of a rotating disk.

4. How is rotational kinetic energy different from linear kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy associated with the rotation of an object, while linear kinetic energy is the energy associated with the motion of an object in a straight line. They both depend on the object's mass and velocity, but the distribution of mass and direction of motion are different.

5. What are some real-world applications of rotational kinetic energy of disks?

Rotational kinetic energy is important in many mechanical systems, such as engines, turbines, and flywheels. It is also used in sports equipment, such as frisbees and spinning tops, as well as in everyday objects like bicycle wheels and record players.