What is the rotational kinetic energy of the disk at a given distance?

In summary: Let someone else get the points.In summary, the problem involves a disk of mass 2.1kg and radius 0.045m being pulled with a constant force of 13N along a nearly frictionless surface. At the instant when the center of the disk has moved a distance of 0.13m, the speed of the center of mass is 1.2687 m/s. The question then asks for the rotational kinetic energy of the disk relative to its center of mass, which can be calculated by subtracting the translational kinetic energy from the total work done on the disk.
Westin

Homework Statement

A string is wrapped around a disk of mass 2.1kg and radius 0.045m. Starting from rest, you pull the string with a constant force of 13N along a nearly frictionless surface. At the instant when the center of the disk has moved a distance 0.13m, your hand has moved a distance 0.34m.

At this instant, what is the speed of the center of mass of the disk?

vcm= 1.2687 m/s

At this instant, how much rotational kinetic energy does the disk have relative to its center of mass?

Krot= ?

I provided the image for a visual aid.

Homework Equations

Krot = F*d
KE = 1/2 m v^2[/B]
K= 1/2 Iw^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Krot = F*d
Krot = (13)(.34m) = 4.42m
This is assuming all force from hand exerts to rotational KE, not sure what I am doing wrong.

My other attempt was trying to use energy conservation mgh=Iω^2/2[/B]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 1.42.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 1.42.06 AM.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 891
Physics news on Phys.org
Westin said:

Homework Statement

A string is wrapped around a disk of mass 2.1kg and radius 0.045m. Starting from rest, you pull the string with a constant force of 13N along a nearly frictionless surface. At the instant when the center of the disk has moved a distance 0.13m, your hand has moved a distance 0.34m.

At this instant, what is the speed of the center of mass of the disk?

vcm= 1.2687 m/s

Correct.

Westin said:
At this instant, how much rotational kinetic energy does the disk have relative to its center of mass?

Krot= ?

I provided the image for a visual aid.
Westin said:

Homework Equations

Krot = F*d
KE = 1/2 m v^2[/B]
K= 1/2 Iw^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Krot = F*d
Krot = (13)(.34m) = 4.42m
This is assuming all force from hand exerts to rotational KE, not sure what I am doing wrong.

My other attempt was trying to use energy conservation mgh=Iω^2/2[/B]

Not the whole work will increase the rotational energy.

The work of the force is W=Fd. But that work makes the centre of the disk translate and it also rotates the disk abut its centre. The work is equal to the change of the kinetic energy, which is the sum of the translational and rotational KE-s.

Last edited:
So are you saying it is 4.42 + .5(m)(1.2687)^2 ?

Westin said:
No.

Westin said:
@ Westin,

You should state what you mean by the word ' it ' .

Rotational K.E., Total energy, Work, ...

Krot would be Work - Translational KE ?

Westin said:
Krot would be Work - Translational KE ?
Yes,

Rotational Kinetic Energy is equal to the total work done minus the Translational Kinetic Energy .

Krot = (.34*13) - (.5(2.1)(1.2687)^2) ?

I have one try left

Westin said:
Krot = (.34*13) - (.5(2.1)(1.2687)^2) ?

I have one try left
Isn't that the same as 4.42 + .5(m)(1.2687)^2 ?

That looks right, but if you tried it before, you might want to hold off.

Related to What is the rotational kinetic energy of the disk at a given distance?

1. What is the purpose of wrapping string around a disk?

The purpose of wrapping string around a disk is to create friction and tension, which can be used for various purposes such as lifting objects or generating electricity.

2. How does the amount of string affect the performance of the disk?

The amount of string wrapped around a disk determines the amount of friction and tension that can be generated. More string will generally result in a higher performance, but too much string can also cause the disk to become too heavy and slow down.

3. Can different types of string be used for wrapping around a disk?

Yes, different types of string can be used, as long as they are strong enough to withstand the tension and friction without breaking. Some common types of string used for this purpose include nylon, polyester, and cotton.

4. How can the diameter of the disk affect the performance of the string?

The diameter of the disk can affect the performance of the string in two ways. Firstly, a larger diameter will result in a larger surface area for the string to wrap around, thus creating more friction and tension. Secondly, a larger diameter will also affect the leverage and torque of the string, potentially increasing its strength and performance.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using string wrapped around a disk?

Yes, it is important to take precautions when using string wrapped around a disk to avoid injury. Make sure the string is securely attached to the disk and that there are no loose ends that could become tangled or cause harm. It is also important to use proper protective gear, such as gloves, when handling the string and disk.