Rolling a spaceship along its horizontal axis

In summary, the roll axis would be parallel to the length of the ship while the pitch and yaw axes would be perpendicular to the length of the ship.
dbaezner
This is probably a silly question, but I want to make sure I get it right for a story I'm writing.

I want to roll an elongated spaceship "around" it's horizontal axis (as opposed to flipping it end over end). Is it equivalent to say "along" the horizontal axis?

In this case, I'm assuming that the horizontal axis is the one that is parallel to the length of the ship. I hope I got at least that part right. :smile:

Thanks.
Dirk

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's use this picture as an example

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a6UYPHCKrXyAHEs4CIBA&ved=0CEUQ9QEwAw&dur=2398

If you said you were rolling that car along the 'a' axis, then I would think you are pushing it forward. If you said you are rolling it around the a-axis, I would say you are rolling the car onto its roof, then back onto its wheels, then onto its roof again etc. the shorter way (such that the doors are occasionally touching the ground).

I don't think the word "horizontal axis" has a technical definition to the point where you have to be worried. In the sense that horizontal is perpendicular to vertical, both the 'a' and 'b' axes would be acceptable as "horizontal axis" though I think most people would think of the 'a' axis before the 'b' one

Got it. Thanks.

Roll, Pitch, and Yaw are the terms usually used for both aircraft and spacecraft .

250px-Yaw_Axis_Corrected.svg.png

The roll axis would be parallel to the length of the ship as most commonly depicted in movies. (This is a little anachronistic in an environment with little to no atmospheric drag, but it makes it easier for the viewers to figure out what they're looking at.)

Unless your story is a little more on the technical side and you're talking about some difficulty stemming from spinning about your minor axis instead of the major axis.

250px-Explorer1.jpg

To the surprise of mission experts, Explorer 1 changed rotation axis after launch. The elongated body of the spacecraft had been designed to spin about its long (least-inertia) axis but refused to do so, and instead started precessing due to energy dissipation from flexible structural elements. Later it was understood that on general grounds, the body ends up in the spin state that minimizes the kinetic rotational energy for a fixed angular momentum (this being the maximal-inertia axis). This motivated the first further development of the Eulerian theory of rigid body dynamics after nearly 200 years—to address this kind of momentum-preserving energy dissipation.

This is why college graduates should design spacecraft . They tend to spin their class rings a lot and would surely wonder why the jeweled part almost always winds up pointing up as the ring spins.

Or why little kids should design spacecraft . Surely they've spun at least a few of those plastic Easter eggs.

Last edited:

Related to Rolling a spaceship along its horizontal axis

1. What is meant by "rolling a spaceship along its horizontal axis"?

Rolling a spaceship along its horizontal axis refers to rotating the spacecraft around a line that runs from wingtip to wingtip, parallel to the ground. This movement is similar to the way a plane rolls during flight.

2. Why would you want to roll a spaceship along its horizontal axis?

Rolling a spaceship along its horizontal axis can be useful for changing the direction of the spacecraft without using thrusters, conserving fuel and energy. It can also be used to adjust the orientation of the spacecraft for different scientific or navigational purposes.

3. How is a spaceship rolled along its horizontal axis?

A spacecraft can be rolled along its horizontal axis by using the reaction wheels, which are rotating flywheels used to control the spacecraft's attitude. By spinning the wheels in opposite directions, the spacecraft can be rotated around its axis.

4. Are there any risks associated with rolling a spaceship along its horizontal axis?

There are some potential risks associated with rolling a spaceship along its horizontal axis, such as the potential for structural stress on the spacecraft and the possibility of losing control if the rotation is not properly controlled. However, these risks can be mitigated with careful planning and control.

5. Can a spaceship be rolled along its horizontal axis in space?

Yes, a spaceship can be rolled along its horizontal axis in space, as there is no atmosphere or gravity to affect the movement. However, it may be more challenging to control the rotation without any external reference points, and the spacecraft's reaction wheels may need to work harder due to the lack of friction in space.