Roll Cage Materials: AISI 1018 Steel & More

In summary, the conversation discusses the different types of materials used in roll cage making, such as CDS, ERW, DOM, and Cr steel. These materials have similar properties and are often referred to using vague terms like "mild steel." To differentiate between them, one can use the ASTM or AISI designation and consult a vendor's or supplier's website for specific properties.
OutCell
Hello,

Well i am trying to conduct an FEA on roll cages. I found that the usual materials used for Roll cages (According to FIA regulations+not) were:

1) CDS Carbon Steel

2) ERW Mild Steel

3) DOM Mild Steel

4) Cr (Chrome Molybdenum) Steel

Now i was searching for more info on the specific properties and specs on these but i could only find AISI 1018 steel which i think is CDS?

Anyone knows the specific material+properties used or more information for these 4 that is used in Roll Cage making?

I tried looking on MatWeb, but the results are all general and got me confused a little. Please help me out

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The types you list here are mostly differences in the way the pipe/tube are made:

CDS = Cold Drawn, Seamless

ERW = Electron Resistance Welded

DOM = Drawn Over Mandrel

The problem you are running into is typical in automotive ends where the garage terms for materials is widely used but completely useless. Mild steel? Just what the heck does that mean? That's right up there with another of my favorites, "aircraft aluminum."

Looking at ASTM A513 which is a standard covering the properties of electric resistance welded tubing for structural use. That lists, basically 1010 thru 1060 plain carbon steel as well as higher alloy content steels such as 4340 and 8620. I assume, when someone says "mild" steel that they are referring to something along the lines of 1018.

So basically, between the top three materials you have listed, you can run into the same materials, but different manufacturing techniques which may have a slight effect on properties depending on the amount of cold working. Honestly (and people will probably disagree with me) for your application, the differences between them is negligible. For any planning, etc... you may be doing, I would just use properties for 1010-1020.

FredGarvin said:
The types you list here are mostly differences in the way the pipe/tube are made:

CDS = Cold Drawn, Seamless

ERW = Electron Resistance Welded

DOM = Drawn Over Mandrel

The problem you are running into is typical in automotive ends where the garage terms for materials is widely used but completely useless. Mild steel? Just what the heck does that mean? That's right up there with another of my favorites, "aircraft aluminum."

Looking at ASTM A513 which is a standard covering the properties of electric resistance welded tubing for structural use. That lists, basically 1010 thru 1060 plain carbon steel as well as higher alloy content steels such as 4340 and 8620. I assume, when someone says "mild" steel that they are referring to something along the lines of 1018.

So basically, between the top three materials you have listed, you can run into the same materials, but different manufacturing techniques which may have a slight effect on properties depending on the amount of cold working. Honestly (and people will probably disagree with me) for your application, the differences between them is negligible. For any planning, etc... you may be doing, I would just use properties for 1010-1020.

Thanks and i really appreciate this informative reply. Mild Steel is basically low carbon steel to my understanding

These terms (List) refer to materials used in roll cage making. Their strength and weight differ so i want to differentiate them as i am going to use Finite Element Analysis on all of them for my project.

So how am i going to do that if they are all almost the same :( I need to know the different naming for each so i can get the specific properties for each :)

See - Classification of Carbon and Low-Alloy Steels
http://www.keytosteel.com/default.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&NM=62

and more generally - http://www.keytosteel.com/default.aspx?ID=Articles

AISI 1018 - http://efunda.com/materials/alloys/...fm?ID=AISI_1018&prop=all&Page_Title=AISI 1018

Efunda allows several free lookups, but then requires a subscription.

One can use the ASTM or AISI designation and then go to a vendor's/supplier's site to find properties. Usually properties are given for the annealed condition (lowest strength), but there are grades for some materials based on room temp yield strength.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
See - Classification of Carbon and Low-Alloy Steels
http://www.keytosteel.com/default.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&NM=62

and more generally - http://www.keytosteel.com/default.aspx?ID=Articles

AISI 1018 - http://efunda.com/materials/alloys/...fm?ID=AISI_1018&prop=all&Page_Title=AISI 1018

Efunda allows several free lookups, but then requires a subscription.

One can use the ASTM or AISI designation and then go to a vendor's/supplier's site to find properties. Usually properties are given for the annealed condition (lowest strength), but there are grades for some materials based on room temp yield strength.

Thanks for the info. Will take a look now :)

Related to Roll Cage Materials: AISI 1018 Steel & More

1. What is AISI 1018 steel?

AISI 1018 steel is a low carbon steel that contains approximately 0.18% carbon. It is also known as mild or low carbon steel, and is one of the most commonly used materials for roll cages due to its high strength and low cost.

2. Why is AISI 1018 steel a good material for roll cages?

AISI 1018 steel has a high tensile strength, which means it can withstand a lot of force without breaking. It also has good ductility, which allows it to bend and deform without fracturing. This makes it an ideal material for roll cages, as it can provide protection for the driver in the event of a crash.

3. What other materials are commonly used for roll cages?

In addition to AISI 1018 steel, other commonly used materials for roll cages include chromoly steel, aluminum, and titanium. These materials have similar properties to AISI 1018 steel, but may have different strengths and weight ratios, making them suitable for different types of racing or driving.

4. How are roll cages made with AISI 1018 steel?

Roll cages made with AISI 1018 steel are typically constructed using a process called tube bending. This involves heating the steel tubes to make them more pliable, and then using a machine to bend them into the desired shape and size. The tubes are then welded together to create the structure of the roll cage.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using AISI 1018 steel for roll cages?

One potential drawback of using AISI 1018 steel for roll cages is its lower corrosion resistance compared to other materials. This means that the roll cage may be more susceptible to rust and other forms of corrosion, which can weaken the structure over time. However, proper maintenance and coating can help mitigate this issue.