Material selection for sour/acidic service

In summary, for gas sweetening and gas dehydration plants, the material selection criteria varies depending on the specific conditions such as CO2 and H2S content, temperature, and presence of free water. It is important to consider the recommended limits and choose appropriate materials to prevent corrosion and ensure the safety and efficiency of the plant.
Nauman Khursh
I am facing some problems regarding material selection for sour/acidic service of
raw natural gas due to the presence of H2S & CO2 gas. According to the common
practice if the raw gas contains <4 ppmv H2S & <6 mol% CO2 then we consider this
as a sweet service and we can use carbon steel (SA-516 Gr. 70) for both piping and
vessel materials. However if the recommended limits exceed then we have some
concerns regarding material selection.
1. In the presence of free water and CO2 (above 6 mol%) in the raw gas please tell
me the material selection criteria. Either we can use normalized carbon steel or we
have to go for SS material due to the acidic attack of CO2 to the material . Please
also tell me is there any option to go for simple carbon steel upto specific temp and
pressure conditions in this acidic conditions.
2. If both H2S & CO2 present in the raw gas then please tell me the material
selection criteria for this sour service nature. Please recommend the material in that
condition where H2S lie in SSC (Sulphide stress cracking) region according to
NACE MR0175.
For these two conditions please tell me what material should be used in
regeneration section of Amine Unit (Where highly corrosive envoirment exists due to
CO2 or H2S in presence of free water).
Please note that I am asking the material selection for gas sweetening and gas
dehydration plants.

Your cooperation will be highly anticipated.

Regards,

Nauman khurshid

Engineering news on Phys.org
Answer: 1. For raw gas with CO2 content more than 6 mol%, it is recommended to use stainless steel (SS) materials such as 304L, 316L, and 317L for both piping and vessel materials. For temperatures up to 500°F (260°C), duplex steel and high-alloy steels such as 904L, AL-6XN, and 254 SMO can also be used. If the temperature exceeds 500°F (260°C), then austenitic stainless steels such as 310S, 347, and 321 should be considered. 2. For raw gas containing both H2S and CO2, it is recommended to use duplex stainless steel such as 2205, 2304, and 2507 for both piping and vessel materials. For temperatures up to 600°F (315°C), super duplex stainless steel such as Zeron 100, AL-6XN, and 254 SMO can also be used. Higher temperatures may require austenitic stainless steels such as 310S, 347, and 321. Additionally, special alloys such as Alloy 20 and Hastelloy C276 should be considered for applications in highly corrosive environments. For the regeneration section of an amine unit, it is recommended to use duplex stainless steel such as 2205, 2304, and 2507 for both piping and vessel materials. Special alloys such as Alloy 20 and Hastelloy C276 should also be considered.

Related to Material selection for sour/acidic service

1. What materials are suitable for sour/acidic service?

The materials commonly used for sour/acidic service include corrosion-resistant alloys such as stainless steel, nickel alloys, and titanium. These materials have a high resistance to corrosion and can withstand the acidic environment.

2. How do I determine the appropriate material for sour/acidic service?

The selection of material for sour/acidic service depends on factors such as the type and concentration of acid, temperature, pressure, and the presence of other corrosive substances. A thorough analysis of these factors is necessary to determine the most suitable material.

3. What are the key properties to consider when selecting a material for sour/acidic service?

The key properties to consider include corrosion resistance, mechanical strength, and temperature and pressure capabilities. The material should also be able to maintain its properties in the presence of acid and other corrosive substances.

4. Can carbon steel be used for sour/acidic service?

Carbon steel is generally not recommended for sour/acidic service as it is highly susceptible to corrosion in acidic environments. However, certain types of carbon steel, such as low alloy steels with high nickel content, can be used with proper corrosion protection measures.

5. How can I ensure the longevity of materials in sour/acidic service?

To ensure the longevity of materials in sour/acidic service, it is important to regularly monitor and maintain the equipment, perform routine inspections and replace any damaged or corroded parts. It is also crucial to use the appropriate corrosion protection methods and select materials that have a proven track record in similar acidic environments.