Research vs Home for the summer

In summary, the speaker is finishing their first year as a double major in Physics and Math and has plans to go back home for the summer. However, they learn that some of their friends are staying back to do research with a professor and start to worry about not being productive enough over the summer. They talk to professors and are offered a research position, but must decide between going home or staying to do research. They are considering splitting their time between the two, but are concerned about the availability of plane tickets and the timing of Ramadan. Ultimately, they are seeking advice on whether to take the research position or wait until their sophomore year. They are also concerned about the workload, but recognize the value of research experience for graduate school admissions.
ahsanxr
So I finish my first year as a Physics and Math double major in a couple of days. I was all set and excited for going back home for the summer [bought my plane ticket and everything (its Pakistan)] until I found out that a couple of my friends were staying back and doing research with a professor in either Physics or Astronomy. I got kind of concerned and started worrying that I'd be wasting my summer going back home and doing nothing "productive", when I could be doing research. So I asked around the Physics department and everywhere I got the answer, "The earlier you start, the better." And then I decided to talk to a couple of professors and it turned out that one of the professors, who I had an Introductory Physics class with my first semester and did really well in, may have a position available for me. From how he was talking, it seemed like he pretty much did have a position but said he'd let me know for sure, and in detail tomorrow (Wednesday).

So assuming he does offer me the position, I would have to decide between going home for the summer, or staying back and doing research. I really do want to get ahead in my undergraduate studies, but I also really want to go home, as I haven't seen my family and my friends in a really long time and I just miss the place in general (especially now that I've told everyone I'll be coming). In theory I could do both, as in go back for three weeks or a month or so and then come back and do research for the remainder of the summer, but that plan isn't consistent with the availability of plane tickets and all, as my original ticket was for early June. So from what it seems like its either one or the other.

If I stay back, its probably going to be much better for my eduction and for my financial situation as well. But if I go back, it would give me a well needed break and I guess financially I would survive. But educationally I don't know if I'll be missing a really good opportunity to get a head start and what not. So my question is should I take the research position without hesitation and forget about going back, or should I do what I want to and start research in my sophomore year? Sorry for the somewhat long post and thanks for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to consider your mental health too. Yes undergraduate research is great early on, but you still have time to do it.

So I intend on asking my professor whether it would still be possible to do research if I start in July. I don't think its likely but that way I'd be able to go home for June and still put in about a month and 20 days worth of research.

It's hard to get anything substantial done within the first month of joining a lab. A month and 20 days will improve your odds, but it's really best to stick to it for a few months, at least, so you can see a project or two through to the end. If you join this professor's lab for the summer, would you plan on continuing to work there during the semester, and perhaps through next summer?

As far as seeing your friends/family back home goes, definitely try to make time for that. You won't be as productive in the lab if your mind is elsewhere, or if you have misgivings about being there. Talk to your professor; most of them are pretty decent people, and if you explain it to them, they'll probably tell you it's ok if you want to spend the first and/or last couple of weeks of vacation at home. They've been through school themselves, so they know full well what it's like.

Leveret said:
It's hard to get anything substantial done within the first month of joining a lab. A month and 20 days will improve your odds, but it's really best to stick to it for a few months, at least, so you can see a project or two through to the end. If you join this professor's lab for the summer, would you plan on continuing to work there during the semester, and perhaps through next summer?

I mean I could start in say July, and at least try to continue doing it through the year (with the classes I'll be taking its going to be a hell of a semester).

Leveret said:
As far as seeing your friends/family back home goes, definitely try to make time for that. You won't be as productive in the lab if your mind is elsewhere, or if you have misgivings about being there. Talk to your professor; most of them are pretty decent people, and if you explain it to them, they'll probably tell you it's ok if you want to spend the first and/or last couple of weeks of vacation at home. They've been through school themselves, so they know full well what it's like.

See, that's why I said its one or the other. Other factors aren't consistent with this plan. I can't go at the start of summer as there are no plane tickets available at this point (or at least ones I can afford). Going back towards the end won't be a wise move because August is Ramadan in Muslim countries and in that month isn't exactly ideal for visiting. If I am to go, its going to have to be on the 31st of May til about the end of June.

Anyway, I'm talking to him in a couple of hours. We'll see how it goes.

Any research experience you can get is very valuable for graduate school admissions, if that's where you think you want to go.

If this is the summer between your first and second year then definitely go home and see friends and family. Spend your quality time during the summer having a break and just don't worry about school! If this was in between your second and third year then I may have different advice, and if this was between your third and fourth then I would say DEFINITELY stay and research.

You're not too much use after taking 10 classes, you'll probably end up compiling crappy data and cleaning test tubes, GO HOME AND HAVE FUN!

So I'll be doing research from mid-July til late August. I don't know if I could do anything meaningful during that time but I'll be paid 8 bucks an hour along with getting some research experience, so it can't be bad. Plus, I can continue doing it over the semester as well. I also get to go home for about 5-6 weeks which is good enough for me. I probably would have just sat around if it was any longer.

At this point, I would recommend taking summer vacation and instead focus on working in the lab next summer- you will have a whole year to think about what you want to do, build a relationship with a PI, take ownership of a specific project, etc.

Related to Research vs Home for the summer

What is the difference between conducting research and staying at home for the summer?

Research involves conducting experiments and collecting data to answer a specific question or test a hypothesis. Staying at home for the summer typically involves relaxing and spending time with family and friends.

Why would someone choose to do research over staying at home for the summer?

There are many reasons why someone may choose to do research over staying at home for the summer, such as gaining hands-on experience, building their resume, or pursuing their passion in a particular field.

What are the benefits of conducting research during the summer?

Conducting research during the summer allows for a more focused and dedicated time period to work on a project. It also provides opportunities for networking and collaborating with other researchers, as well as potentially receiving funding or recognition for your work.

Can you still have a social life while conducting research during the summer?

Yes, it is possible to balance both research and a social life during the summer. Many researchers have flexible schedules and can make time for social activities outside of their work. Additionally, collaborating with other researchers can also provide opportunities for social interactions.

What skills can be gained from conducting research during the summer?

Conducting research can help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It also allows for hands-on experience with equipment and techniques, as well as the opportunity to learn from and collaborate with experienced researchers.