Research advice for undergraduate senior

In summary, the student had done an independent research project with a professor two years ago and wanted to continue it as a senior. The professor agreed, but asked for dedication and progress. The student took the summer off and now wonders if their chances of resuming the project are ruined. It is suggested to contact the professor and explain the situation, as most professors understand the need for summer breaks.
dorist84
Hi,

I'm currently a senior and about two years ago did an independent research study with a professor. I asked if I could pursue further research with him as a senior and possibly have it culminate in a thesis. He said, "of course if the student shows dedication, etc etc." I spoke with him near the end of my junior year and got started familiarizing myself with a bunch of computer programs...matlab etc. The last I spoke with him, he asked me to read an article and replicate what they did as well as learn another modeling program on my own. I took the whole summer off from working on the research projects since I was taking an intensive course load and working, but now would like to resume the research project since I've a bit more time.

My question is, did I screw up by not letting him know that I would take the summer off to do summer school? Are my chances ruined? I feel like if I work hard on this and show progress within the next week or two he would be willing to resume an independent research project with me regardless of my absence in the summer. But to be honest, I'm not really sure. Any suggestions? Or advice?

Thanks so much. Take care.

Physics news on Phys.org
The professor is the only person who can really answer this question.

Most professors understand that undergraduate students often need to take the summer off. I would suggest you contact him, explain your circumstances and tell him that you're still interested in working on the project. Likely, the worst case scenario would be that he's found someone else to work with.

Dear senior undergraduate student,

First of all, congratulations on taking the initiative to pursue independent research with a professor during your junior year. This shows great dedication and passion for your field of study. It is also commendable that you are now considering continuing this research as a senior and potentially turning it into a thesis project.

Regarding your question about taking the summer off, I would not say that you have "screwed up" by not informing your professor about your plans. However, communication is key in any research project and it would have been beneficial to let your professor know about your summer plans, especially if you were planning on taking a break from the project. This would have allowed for open and honest communication about your progress and any potential delays. Nevertheless, it is not too late to inform your professor now and discuss your plans for the upcoming semester.

In terms of your chances of continuing the research project, I would suggest talking to your professor and expressing your interest in resuming the project. It is important to show your dedication and progress in the next few weeks, as you mentioned, to demonstrate your commitment to the project. It is also important to communicate openly with your professor about your availability and any potential challenges you may face in balancing your research with your other responsibilities.

My advice would be to have a conversation with your professor and discuss your plans and goals for the project. Ask for their feedback and guidance on how you can continue to make progress and potentially turn this into a thesis project. It is also important to stay organized and manage your time effectively to ensure that you are able to balance your research with your other commitments.

I wish you all the best in your research endeavors and hope that this experience will be a valuable learning opportunity for you as a scientist. Keep up the hard work and don't be afraid to communicate openly with your professor. Good luck!

Related to Research advice for undergraduate senior

1. What is the importance of conducting research as an undergraduate senior?

Conducting research as an undergraduate senior is important because it allows you to apply the knowledge and skills you have gained throughout your academic career in a practical and hands-on way. It also helps you develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills that are valuable in any career path.

2. How do I choose a research topic as an undergraduate senior?

Choosing a research topic as an undergraduate senior can be challenging. It is important to choose a topic that you are passionate about, as you will be spending a significant amount of time on it. Consider your interests, coursework, and any previous research experience when selecting a topic. You can also consult with your professors or advisors for guidance.

3. How do I develop a research question for my project?

Developing a research question is a crucial step in the research process. A good research question should be specific, relevant, and feasible. Start by identifying a broad topic and then narrowing it down to a specific research question. You can also review existing literature and identify gaps in knowledge to help develop a research question.

4. What are some important factors to consider when designing a research study?

When designing a research study, it is essential to consider the research question, the type of data you will collect, the sample size, and the research methodology. You should also consider ethical considerations, budget, and time constraints. It is important to plan and carefully design your study to ensure valid and reliable results.

5. How do I effectively communicate my research findings?

Communicating your research findings is an essential part of the research process. Start by organizing your findings and presenting them in a logical and coherent manner. Use visual aids such as graphs, charts, and tables to enhance understanding. Practice your presentation and be prepared to answer questions. Additionally, consider publishing your findings in a peer-reviewed journal to reach a wider audience.