Relativistic Particles: Reaching Absolute Temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a particle at infinite distance from any potential energy sources, leading to a discussion of its kinetic and potential energy, and the Lagrangian of a relativistic particle. It also addresses the difference between relativistic and classical Lagrangians and the concept of integration constants. However, the conversation is based on mistaken premises and should not be considered accurate.
Somali_Physicist
Hello fellow physicists.Recently I imagined a particle far away from everything (infinitely away) such that there is no potential energy affecting the particle.

Ep = 0
Ek = mc2δ : δ = (1-v2/c2)-1/2
L = EP- Ek
= -mc2δ
∂L/∂v = vE0/c2 *δ^3 where E0 = mc2
d( ∂L/∂x)/dt = 0

vE0/c2 *δ^3 = 0
mvδ3 = 0
I'm not 100% sure if next lines are correct
p = mvδ
∴ pδ2 = 0

p = 0 ⇒ m = 0 or v = 0
δ = 0
(1-v2/c2)-1/2 = 0
v = c ⇒ m =0

Inconclusion a particle with zero potential is at velocity = 0 , what does this mean? a particle unmoving means absolute temperature has been reached!

vrms = (3RT/m)1/2
T = mvrms*1/3R
T ⇒ 0 as Ep ⇒ 0

Other solution states
Light or massless particles travel in a purely kinetic environment. I will update this with reference to both its wave like instances as well as its photon like instances.

Please criticize this as I wish to learn.
-SomaliPhysicist.

Physics news on Phys.org
Somali_Physicist said:
d( ∂L/∂x)/dt = 0

vE0/c2 *δ^3 = 0
mvδ3 = 0
You lost a time derivative here.
All the following equations should have a time derivative. The expressions are all constant in time, which means the velocity is constant for a single particle with no external potential. This is just inertia.

Somali_Physicist said:
d( ∂L/∂x)/dt = 0

vE0/c2 *δ^3 = 0
Apart from you trying to apply classical reasoning to an a priori relativistic particle, this is just wrong.

Also, the Lagrangian of a relativistic particle is not given by ##E_k - E_p##. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_Lagrangian_mechanics

mfb said:
You lost a time derivative here.
All the following equations should have a time derivative. The expressions are all constant in time, which means the velocity is constant for a single particle with no external potential. This is just inertia.
Time derivative of 0 = 0 right?
∂L/∂x = ∂(-mc2δ)/∂x = 0

Somali_Physicist said:
Time derivative of 0 = 0 right?
∂L/∂x = ∂(-mc2δ)/∂x = 0
Yes, but the time derivative of any constant is also 0. You therefore cannot conclude that what you are differentiating to get zero necessarily is zero. You are missing the integration constant.

Orodruin said:
Yes, but the time derivative of any constant is also 0. You therefore cannot conclude that what you are differentiating to get zero necessarily is zero. You are missing the integration constant.
Oh , so there is a constant?
∂L/∂x = C

Also could you give a quick summary on the difference between relativistic langragian and classical.

Is it simply because:
S= ∫Lδdτ

Somali_Physicist said:
Also could you give a quick summary on the difference between relativistic langragian and classical langragian.Is it just taking into account coordinates?
This is all described on the Wikipedia page I linked to in post #3. I suggest that you read it carefully and come back if you have further questions. We cannot write you a textbook.

Likes Somali_Physicist
Orodruin said:
This is all described on the Wikipedia page I linked to in post #3. I suggest that you read it carefully and come back if you have further questions. We cannot write you a textbook.

And with that, this thread is closed as the OP is speculation based on mistaken premises.

Likes Somali_Physicist

Related to Relativistic Particles: Reaching Absolute Temperature?

1. What are relativistic particles?

Relativistic particles are particles that move at speeds close to the speed of light, as described by Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. What is absolute temperature?

Absolute temperature is a temperature scale that is based on the theoretical limit of zero temperature, known as absolute zero. It is measured in Kelvin (K) or Rankine (R) degrees.

3. How do relativistic particles reach absolute temperature?

Relativistic particles can only reach absolute temperature in theory, as it would require infinite energy to accelerate them to the speed of light. In reality, it is impossible to reach absolute temperature.

4. What is the significance of reaching absolute temperature for relativistic particles?

Reaching absolute temperature would imply that the particles have reached their maximum possible energy, and can no longer be further accelerated.

5. Can relativistic particles be used for practical applications at absolute temperature?

No, reaching absolute temperature is only a theoretical concept and cannot be practically achieved. Relativistic particles can only be used for practical applications at temperatures far below absolute zero.