Relationship between counterclockwise and clockwise torque

In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between force, torque, linear momentum, and angular momentum in a system with rotation constrained in one plane. The participants also mention the importance of relying on the vector definition rather than sayings, and provide a helpful simulation link. They also mention the concept of clockwise and counterclockwise being reversed in a mirror and when a gear applies torque to another gear.
hadeel35queen
Hi , i really have an important question , first Iam an Arabic girl so my English may cannot be perfect ! SO ,, we took the TORQUE lesson in school and i found it hard to understand , can anyone JUST gives me some steps to understand it .

AND THANK YOU FOR EVERY ONE ..

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you are having trouble with. Perhaps this may help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque said:
Torque_animation.gif

Relationship between force F, torque τ, linear momentum p, and angular momentum L in a system which has rotation constrained in one plane only (forces and moments due to gravity and frictionnot considered).

Attachments

• Torque_animation.gif
    Torque_animation.gif
    132.4 KB · Views: 659
Likes sophiecentaur
I agree with @anorlunda. Basically, you should refer to the vector definition if you want to be sure of getting things right. If you and I are both watching a torque experiment and we are sitting opposite one another, what you see as Clockwise could appear Counterclockwise to me but we would both agree where the torque vector was pointing. This is just another example where the names can mislead but the Maths does not. Avoid relying on a saying, learned by rote. Many times it can confuse you.

Clockwise is same as counterclockwise in a mirror.

Any flip will switch from clockwise to counterclockwise. Or reverse, counterclockwise flips to clockwise.

A gear applying torque on another gear is like one flip.

Related to Relationship between counterclockwise and clockwise torque

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is the product of the force applied and the distance from the axis to the point of application of the force.

What is the relationship between counterclockwise and clockwise torque?

The relationship between counterclockwise and clockwise torque is that they are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction. This means that if one is rotating an object counterclockwise, there will be an equal and opposite torque acting in the clockwise direction.

How does the direction of torque affect rotational motion?

The direction of torque affects the rotational motion by determining the direction of the resulting rotation. If the direction of the applied torque is in the same direction as the rotation, it will cause the object to rotate faster. If the direction of the applied torque is opposite to the rotation, it will cause the object to rotate slower or even come to a stop.

Can an object have both counterclockwise and clockwise torques acting on it at the same time?

Yes, an object can have both counterclockwise and clockwise torques acting on it at the same time. In fact, this is often the case in real-world situations where multiple forces are acting on an object.

How do we calculate the net torque on an object with both counterclockwise and clockwise torques?

To calculate the net torque on an object with both counterclockwise and clockwise torques, we use the principle of vector addition. This means that we add up all the torques acting on the object, taking into account their direction and magnitude. The resulting net torque will determine the object's rotational motion.