Calculate Torque for Turning Cylinder 90° Clockwise/Counterclockwise

In summary: I don't see what you are calculating with that: what's the 0.1 and what's the 5 cm ?The 0.1 is just half the length of the cylinder and the 0.05 half the length of that. The black spot is where the shaft is attached. Sorry I'm not doing a very good job explaining what I'm doing, english is not my first language.[In summary,] The student is trying to calculate the torque necessary to turn a cylinder 90 deg. clockwise and 90 deg. counterclockwise. They need to know the weight of the cylinder, the speed, and the moment of inertia of the cylinder. They also need to know the angular velocity profile
RanTanPlan
<< Mentor Note -- thread moved to the schoolwork forums after we found out this is really a homework assignment >>

Hi,
I've got a cylinder which needs to turn 90 deg. clockwise and 90 deg. counterclockwise (seen below from the front and above). How do I calculate the necessary torque on the engine? I can disregard the weight of the bracket holding the cylinder. Any help would be much appriciated!
upload_2018-12-3_15-8-11.png

upload_2018-12-3_15-8-22.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-3_15-8-11.png
    upload_2018-12-3_15-8-11.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 523
  • upload_2018-12-3_15-8-22.png
    upload_2018-12-3_15-8-22.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 487
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about you at least list the things that you think you might need to know in order to make such a calculation. For example, does the weight matter? Does it matter how fast you want to turn it? Etc ...

Are you in a hurry with this turning, or can it take a few days ? Makes a difference !

Are you aware of the relevant equations ? And the similarity of the equations for rotation with the equations for linear motion (the SUVAT eqns)

This link shows moments of inertia

This homework or work at home ?

Ah, Paul was (a lot :rolleyes:) faster...

Likes phinds
Thanks for your replies and links. I have only tried to calculate bending moment. I have no idea how to calculate torque so I am not familiar with the equations. I expect I will need to know the weight of the cylinder, the speed as you mention and maybe moment of inertia of the cylinder.

"This homework or work at home ?" Not sure what you mean?

I guess I need the weight * g * distance to center of shaft. But not sure where to place the forces if that makes sense.

RanTanPlan said:
Really? It means is this a do-it-yourself project that you are working on or are you doing it for a school assignment.

Ah, it's a school assignment

RanTanPlan said:
It probably isn't a homework assignment. [edited, ahem...] If it's for a professional application I suggest you search professional assistance, in view of safety and legal stuff.

If you say 'cylinder', we assume a massive cylinder. Or do you mean a hollow cylinder with a bottom (a tin can so to say)? makes a difference !

Again PH was faster :woot: and you already replied. Homework: Post in homework and state the FULL problem and relevant equations. You are also required to post your own effort at solution !

It's a massive cylinder.
Oh, I missed there was a homework forum, thanks!

RanTanPlan said:
It's a massive cylinder.
Oh, I missed there was a homework forum, thanks!
Good to know. Now, you have to make some effort to solve your problem. We're not into giving answers here, we're into helping people figure out how to get answers for themselves.

Sure thing, I realize I asked a too, ah, open question. Well here is my attempt:
Weight of cylinder: 20 kg (evenly distributed load)
Lenght of cylinder: 30 cm
upload_2018-12-3_17-29-22.png

I guess I need a speed of about 15 rpm.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-3_17-29-22.png
    upload_2018-12-3_17-29-22.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 430
RanTanPlan said:
I guess I need a speed of about 15 rpm
You mentioned 90 deg clockwise and 90 deg anti-clockwise. With 15 rpm you mean that such a turn should be completed in 1/60 of a second ?
I find that the questions in #3 and #7 haven't got an answer yet.
And I'm prepared to believe 20 * 9.82 = 196, also that 20 kg * 9.82 m/s2= 196 N, but 20 * 9.82 is not 196 N. I don't see what you are calculating with that: what's the 0.1 and what's the 5 cm ?

And, eh...
phinds said:
Now, you have to make some effort to solve your problem.

Right, it has to turn 90 deg. then stop entireIy and later turn the opposite way. I don't understand how 15 rpm becomes 1/60 of a second? I figured it would be 1 sec to make a quarter-turn at 15 rpm?
Sorry, I shouldn't have been stingy with the units:
upload_2018-12-3_20-8-19.png

The 0,1 is just half the length of the cylinder and the 0,05 half the length of that. The black spot is where the shaft is attached. Sorry I'm not doing a very good job explaining what I'm doing, english is not my first language.
I guess my question is if the above is in any way a way to calculate the torque disregarding friction?

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-3_20-8-19.png
    upload_2018-12-3_20-8-19.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 355
Oh, I see I also wrote the cylinder is 30 cm, it is 20 cm.

First decide on an angular velocity profile for the desired motion. From that you can find the angular acceleration profile. Torque will depend upon the angular acceleration. If the cylinder is starting from rest at one position, it'll have to accelerate up to some angular velocity and then decelerate back to zero. You haven't mentioned anything about how you will detect when the required position has been reached. Is there a feedback loop of some kind for motion control?

RanTanPlan said:
don't understand how 15 rpm becomes 1/60 of a second? I figured it would be 1 sec to make a quarter-turn at 15 rpm?
My bad o:), sorry. 1 second is a lot better. In that one second, it has to accelerate from standstill, and decelerate to standstill again,as @gneill writes, I suppose? Can you do the calculations for a linear motion, with force instead of torque and mass instead of moment of inertia ?

RanTanPlan said:
I guess my question is if the above is in any way a way to calculate the torque disregarding friction?
Nope. You need moment of inertia - as provided in link in #3

Gneill: Ah okay. I actually don't know about the detection of position...might be motion control.
BvU: Yes exactly. You mean like F=m*a?
"You need moment of inertia - as provided in link in #3" Ok, let's say I have the moment of inertia through the red rotation axis and the accelleration. Is the
torque =moment of inertia*angular acceleration?

upload_2018-12-3_22-10-10.png
upload_2018-12-3_22-15-6.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-3_22-10-10.png
    upload_2018-12-3_22-10-10.png
    798 bytes · Views: 333
  • upload_2018-12-3_22-15-6.png
    upload_2018-12-3_22-15-6.png
    157 bytes · Views: 344
RanTanPlan said:
Gneill: Ah okay. I actually don't know about the detection of position...might be motion control.
You'll need something. Relying on timings alone will find your positioning drifting away from where you expect it to be due to real life things like error tolerances, changes in load as friction changes over time (bearings wear), temperature variations, power supply drift,... Have you accounted for the rotational inertia of the motor?

I once had a wonderful little book by Caxton C. Foster called "Real Time Programming: Neglected Topics" which went over the development of practical control methods when interfacing a computer to real devices like motors. Hands on stuff and code (in BASIC! the book is that old). How to minimize positioning error, how to avoid "hunting" at the target position, etc. If you can find it, pick it up. It's a paperback and probably goes for less than ten dollars (U.S.) for a used copy.

In your diagram your velocity should be angular velocity, not linear. From your velocity profile you should be able to develop the angular acceleration profile. That, along with your moment of inertia and anything you can feed in about frictional torque for your device will get you to the required maximum torque value.

RanTanPlan said:
Is the torque =moment of inertia*angular acceleration?
Correct: ##\ \ \tau = I\alpha##

Gneill: I see, thanks for the suggestion, might check that out.
Right! but is this what you would call an angular accelleration profile?
upload_2018-12-4_19-19-17.png

BvU: Ok, so I guess I need to find the higest accelleration to multiply with moment of inertia?

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-4_19-19-17.png
    upload_2018-12-4_19-19-17.png
    709 bytes · Views: 340
That's an angular velocity profile. You need to "differentiate" it to find the angular acceleration profile.

Ok, thanks. Oh boy, it's been a long time since I have differentiated anything. So say I differentiate f(x)=ax+b for the part where the accelleration increases and get f'(x)=a because the rate of change in the accelleration is 0. Hmm, guess I'm not sure what I'm looking for..

You can "differentiate" directly from your velocity profile diagram. The slope of the line anywhere along the velocity profile is the acceleration at that point.

Ah okay, so I'm looking for the biggest slope..

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone!

Related to Calculate Torque for Turning Cylinder 90° Clockwise/Counterclockwise

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object, causing it to rotate around an axis. It is commonly measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How do I calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance. Make sure to use the appropriate units for force and distance in the calculation.

3. What is the difference between clockwise and counterclockwise rotation?

Clockwise rotation is when an object rotates in the same direction as the hands of a clock, while counterclockwise rotation is in the opposite direction. This is important to consider when calculating torque, as the direction of rotation will affect the direction of the torque.

4. How do I calculate torque for turning a cylinder 90°?

To calculate torque for turning a cylinder 90°, you need to determine the force and distance from the axis of rotation. The distance will depend on the size of the cylinder, while the force will depend on the rotational speed and the inertia of the cylinder. Once you have these values, you can use the torque formula to calculate the torque.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating torque for turning a cylinder?

Calculating torque for turning a cylinder is important in many engineering and mechanical applications. For example, it is used in the design and operation of engines, turbines, and other rotational machinery. It is also used in physics and mechanics to study the motion and stability of objects in rotation.