Recommendation Letters - Fixing Grammar

In summary, the speaker is interviewing in two days and has received two letters of recommendation from former co-workers. The first letter was well-written and visually appealing, while the second letter, from someone with a high title at the former company, is filled with grammar mistakes. The speaker is unsure of what to do ethically and is considering fixing the mistakes and sending it without the author's permission, or asking for permission to fix the mistakes. The speaker is also considering getting a new recommendation letter from someone else.
minger
Science Advisor
OK, this might be a little weird question:

I am interviewing in two days. I am finally getting some letters of recommendation from some of my former co-workers. The first was very nice. The format is pleasing to the eye, and it was well written.

The one I 'just' got, was from someone with a nice title at my former company. Unfortunately, it is riddled with grammar mistakes. I would honestly be embarrassed to show it to someone. I'm not talking like, "That should be a semi-colon instead of a comma", rather it's more like, "I'm...um...I really have no idea what this 1/2 page long sentence is trying to say".

My question is what is ethically the proper thing to do, along with what is typically done. I'm leaning towards fixing (or trying) the grammar and just sending it. However, deep down, I feel as though I should fix it, send the draft to the author and ask for his permission to send it. Although, with that, it seems would come with a slap to the man's pride.

Anyways, if anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate it. Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you get a new one, and don't send it? I've done that in the past. I say thank you, and get a new recommendation letter from someone else. They are likely to not know how many of these letters you need.

Related to Recommendation Letters - Fixing Grammar

1. What is the purpose of fixing grammar in recommendation letters?

The purpose of fixing grammar in recommendation letters is to ensure that the letter is written in a clear and professional manner. Grammatical errors can distract from the content of the letter and can reflect poorly on the writer's attention to detail and credibility. Fixing grammar also helps to convey the message effectively and accurately.

2. How can I identify grammar mistakes in a recommendation letter?

The best way to identify grammar mistakes in a recommendation letter is to read through the letter carefully and slowly. Look for common errors such as subject-verb agreement, verb tense consistency, and punctuation mistakes. You can also use online grammar checkers or ask a colleague or friend to proofread the letter for you.

3. Should I fix only major grammar mistakes or all mistakes in a recommendation letter?

It is important to fix all grammar mistakes in a recommendation letter, both major and minor. Minor mistakes can also impact the overall impression of the letter, so it is best to ensure that all errors are corrected. This shows attention to detail and professionalism in your writing.

4. Are there any specific rules for grammar in recommendation letters?

There are no specific rules for grammar in recommendation letters, but it is important to follow standard grammar conventions. This includes using proper capitalization, punctuation, and sentence structure. It is also important to use a formal and professional tone in the letter.

5. How can I politely suggest grammar corrections to the writer of the recommendation letter?

You can politely suggest grammar corrections to the writer by using a friendly and professional tone. Start by thanking them for their effort in writing the letter and then mention specific areas where grammar corrections can be made. Offer to assist them in making the corrections or provide resources for them to improve their writing skills.