Reccomendations for grad school

In summary, the individual is planning to apply for a Math PhD program in the fall and has some concerns about their letters of recommendation. They have a letter from an associate professor they have done research with, a letter from their REU program, and are looking for a third letter from a more well-known professor. They have emailed multiple professors to inquire about an independent study, as they believe this is the best way to get a strong letter of recommendation.
InbredDummy
I will be applying to grad school for my Math PhD this upcoming fall and I had some questions:

How important is who is writing your letter of reccomendation? I am from a top 30 Math university according to the NRC rankings and US News World and Report rankings, but I doubt I can get a reccomendation from a full Professor. I can get a reccomendation from 1 associate professor (2nd rank) at my school and I've done research with him, I'm sure he will write me a great letter. I'm currently doing an REU, but it's not at a big school and the professors aren't well known, but I'm sure I can get 2 publications and a great reccomendation. Basically, here is my question, by the time I apply, I'll have all the numbers part of my application down pat, 3.8+ GPA, I've taken a ton of math courses in both pure and applied, probably will have a good GRE score and a good GRE math score. The only thing I'm worried about is reccomendations.

So far i have:

1) a letter of reccomendation from a professor at my school who is very highly regarded in his field, and I've done a year's worth of research under him already, and I have a very good relationship with him. but he's only an associate professor. and he got his PhD overseas.
2) a letter of reccomendation from my REU where I will probably have 2 math papers published but he is not from a big time school at all.

for my 3rd letter i am scrambling to find a professor at my school who will do an independent study with me. I don't think doing well in a course will give me a great letter. I want to do an independent study and hopefully garner a 3rd letter from a big wig at my school. I can probably get one from a post-doc fellow at my school, but how does that look? I would rather get one from a full blown professor.

any help from professors or people who have been through the grad school application process?

if you are wondering, I am hoping to get into Columbia, CalTech are my top two choices. I know I can get into the good-really good schools in the NRC rankings. But I would love to get into one ofthe top 10-15 schools.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, a great letter from a bigwig is certainly better than a great letter from an unknown associate professor. But I can't help but think that a great letter from an unknown associate professor is much better than a so-so letter from a bigwig who barely knows you.

So sure, it's important but you still need to go with the people who know you best.

TMFKAN64 said:
Well, a great letter from a bigwig is certainly better than a great letter from an unknown associate professor. But I can't help but think that a great letter from an unknown associate professor is much better than a so-so letter from a bigwig who barely knows you.

So sure, it's important but you still need to go with the people who know you best.

i just emailed like 15 professors to see if I could independent study with them. what a pest haha.

from my limited experience, doing an independent study is the best way to get a reccomendation. they get to know you on a deeper level than in class and actually want you to do well, else why would they accept the independent study?

Related to Reccomendations for grad school

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a graduate school?

When choosing a graduate school, it is important to consider factors such as the program's reputation, faculty expertise, available resources and funding, location, and the overall fit for your academic and career goals.

2. How do I know if a graduate program is a good fit for me?

You can determine if a graduate program is a good fit by researching the curriculum, faculty, and the overall culture of the program. You can also reach out to current students and alumni to get a better understanding of their experiences.

3. Is it better to pursue a master's degree or a PhD?

This ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. A master's degree is typically shorter and more focused, while a PhD is longer and involves original research. Consider your long-term goals and consult with advisors or professionals in your field to make an informed decision.

4. What do graduate schools look for in applicants?

Graduate schools typically look for a combination of strong academic performance, relevant research or work experience, strong letters of recommendation, and a well-written personal statement. Some programs may also require standardized test scores.

5. How can I stand out in the application process for graduate school?

To stand out in the application process, you can focus on developing a strong academic record, gaining relevant experience through internships or research projects, and showcasing your unique skills and interests through your personal statement and letters of recommendation. It is also important to apply to a diverse range of programs and to start the application process early.