Real analysis - show convex functions are left & right differentiable

In summary, the homework statement is that a convex function is left and right differentiable. Homework equations state that a convex function is left and right differentiable if there exists a function L such that limsup{g(x):x < x_0} = liminf{g(x):x < x_0}. The solution to the homework statement is to show that the limit of the differential quotient exists and is sup{g(x) : x < x_0}.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
[SOLVED] Real analysis - show convex functions are left &amp; right differentiable

Homework Statement

Let f:R-->R be convex. Show f admits in every point a left derivative and a right derivative.

Homework Equations

A function f:R-->R is convex if x1 < x < x2 implies

[tex]f(x)\leq \frac{x_2-x}{x_2-x_1}f(x_1)+\frac{x-x_1}{x_2-x_1}f(x_2)[/tex]

Or equivalently, if whatever x, y, and [itex]\lambda[/itex] in [0,1],

[tex]f(\lambda x + (1-\lambda)y\leq \lambda f(x) + (1-\lambda)f(y)[/tex]By left derivative at x0, we mean the limit

[tex]D_lf(x_0)\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0^-}\frac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}[/tex]

and by right derivative at x0, we mean the limit

[tex]D_rf(x_0)\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0^+}\frac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's stick to the left derivative.

I know convex functions are Lip****z, so the differential quotient is bounded.

I have also proven in an earlier exercise that the differential quotient is increasing as x increases:

"If x1 < x < x2, then [tex]\frac{f(x)-f(x_1)}{x-x_1}\leq \frac{f(x_2)-f(x_1)}{x_2-x_1} \leq\frac{f(x_2)-f(x)}{x_2-x}[/tex]"

But this does not give the conclusion because I must show the differential quotient converges for any sequence, monotonous or not, converging to x0.

Can we show limsup=liminf? Can we show it is Cauchy? I don't see how.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind that you're taking the limit as x approaches x_0 from the left. So out of the sequences converging to x_0, we need only consider those whose tails increase to x_0.

how come? I thought limit from the left only meant that we only consider sequences whose points are lesser than x_0

I worded that very badly!

What I was trying to get across is that if L = lim(x->a-) g(x) exists, and g(x) is increasing, then this limit is going to be sup{g(x) : x < a} (by uniqueness of limits).

this allows us to conclude that the limit of the differential quotient exists?

Let g be the differential quotient. Why does sup{g(x) : x < x_0} exist?

I see your point! Now I can try to show directly that the limit is sup{g(x) : x < x_0}.

And this is easy! you rock :D

Last edited:

Related to Real analysis - show convex functions are left &amp; right differentiable

1. What is a convex function?

A convex function is a type of real-valued function that has a graph that curves upward, meaning the function is always increasing. This means that if you draw a straight line between any two points on the graph, the line will always be above or on the graph, never below it.

2. How do you show that a function is convex?

To show that a function is convex, you can use the definition of convexity, which states that for any two points on the graph, the line connecting them must always be above or on the graph. This can be proven by using the definition of a derivative and showing that the second derivative is always positive.

3. What does it mean for a function to be left differentiable?

A function is left differentiable if it has a derivative at every point on its domain from the left. This means that as you approach a point from the left, the function has a well-defined slope at that point.

4. How do you show that a convex function is left differentiable?

To show that a convex function is left differentiable, you can use the definition of a derivative to show that the left-hand limit of the function exists at every point on its domain. This can be proven by showing that the derivative of the function from the left is equal to the slope of the tangent line at that point.

5. Why is it important for a convex function to be both left and right differentiable?

It is important for a convex function to be both left and right differentiable because this means that the function is smooth and continuous at every point on its domain. This allows for the use of calculus techniques, such as finding the minimum or maximum of the function, which is important in many real-world applications.