Trapezoidal Approximation Help

In summary, the conversation discusses using the trapezoidal rule to approximate an integral with a given value of n. The rule is provided and the attempt at a solution is shown, but it is noted that the values used for the evaluation are incorrect. The correct solution is 0.697.
opus
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Approximate each integral using the trapezoidal rule using the given number for ##n##.
##\int_1^2 \frac{1}{x}dx## where ##n=4##

Homework Equations

Trapezoidal Approximation "Rule":

Let ##[a,b]## be divided into ##n## subintervals, each of length ##Δx##, with endpoints at ##P={x_0,x_1,x_2,...x_n}##
Set ##T_n=\frac{1}{2}Δx\left[f(x_0)+2f(x_1)+2f(x_2)+...+2f(x_{n-1})+f(x_n)\right]##
Then,
##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty}T_n = \int_a^b f(x)dx##

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) ##n=4## and my intervals lengths are ##Δx=\frac{b-a}{n}=\frac{1}{4}##

(ii) ##\int_1^2 \frac{1}{x}dx ≈ \frac{1}{2}⋅\frac{1}{4}\left[f(1)+2f(1/4)+2f(1/2)+2f(3/4)+f(2)\right]##

##f(1)=1##
##2f(1/4)=8##
##2f(1/2)=4##
##2f(3/4)=\frac{8}{3}##
##f(2)=\frac{1}{2}##

Plugging the values into ##T_n##, I get ##\int_1^2 \frac{1}{x}dx ≈ 2.02##
The correct solution is 0.697, and I can't for the life of me see where I went wrong.

Could I get an extra pair of eyes on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you evaluating at 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4? They are not in your interval.

Likes opus
I am a fool. Should be 1 1/4 not 1/4 etc. Jeez. Thank you!

Related to Trapezoidal Approximation Help

1. What is trapezoidal approximation?

Trapezoidal approximation is a numerical method used to estimate the area under a curve by dividing the region into trapezoids and calculating the sum of their areas. It is commonly used in mathematics and science to approximate integrals.

2. How is trapezoidal approximation calculated?

To calculate trapezoidal approximation, the region under the curve is divided into smaller trapezoids. The area of each trapezoid is then calculated using the formula A = (1/2) x (base1 + base2) x height. The sum of all the trapezoid areas gives an estimate of the total area under the curve.

3. What is the purpose of using trapezoidal approximation?

Trapezoidal approximation is used to estimate the value of integrals, which are important in many areas of science and engineering. It provides a quick and easy way to approximate the area under a curve without having to use complex mathematical techniques.

4. What are the advantages of using trapezoidal approximation?

One advantage of trapezoidal approximation is that it is a simple and straightforward method that can be easily understood and implemented. It also provides a more accurate estimate of the area under a curve compared to other numerical methods such as the midpoint rule.

5. Are there any limitations to trapezoidal approximation?

Trapezoidal approximation is not always accurate and can result in significant errors if the curve being approximated is highly curved or has sharp corners. It also requires a large number of trapezoids to be used in order to achieve a more accurate estimate, which can be time-consuming and computationally intensive.