Ready Player One: Don't Miss This Immersive VR Experience

• Thread starter jtlz
  • Start date
In summary, the movie "Ready Player One" is about a character who can't distinguish between the virtual world and the real world. If the VR google is resolution enough to make the virtual world indistinguishable from reality, then I think we're already there. The fidelity of the VR googles is lacking, not resolution. GPUs simply don't have the algorithms or processing power required to render anything close to photo-realism (dynamic lighting is the main bottleneck.) AAA studios will begin to punch through the uncanny valley by 2025. The fish eye lens is what causes the immersive experience in VR, and it's important to factor it in when computing resolution.
jtlz
One movie you shouldn't miss this week!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ready_player_one/

Because it may come to us in the not so distant future...

http://www.thisisinsider.com/death-...at-comes-after-2017-3?utm_content=buffera845c

In the movie.. a character at one point couldn't differentiate between the virtual world and real world.. may I know what resolution must the VR google be to make it almost indistinguishable from reality?

I have tried the Samsung S8 Gear VR and it is low resolution like CGA monitor back in the 1980s.
If you haven't tried any VR googles yet. What's amazing is the 3Dness effect due to the inclusion of fish eye like lens making you sense depth.. so a VR google is not just like looking at tiny monitor inside the googles but it is immersive.. you need to try it to appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
I read the book, can't wait to see the movie.

I think we're already at the resolution required to make a virtual world indistinguishable. It's fidelity that's lacking, not resolution. GPUs simply don't have the algorithms or processing power required to render anything close to photo-realism (dynamic lighting is the main bottleneck.) I'd take a guess that AAA studios will begin to punch through the uncanny valley by 2025.

newjerseyrunner said:
I read the book, can't wait to see the movie.

I think we're already at the resolution required to make a virtual world indistinguishable. It's fidelity that's lacking, not resolution. GPUs simply don't have the algorithms or processing power required to render anything close to photo-realism (dynamic lighting is the main bottleneck.) I'd take a guess that AAA studios will begin to punch through the uncanny valley by 2025.

What are you talking about.. even with the high resolution of our existing googles now at https://newatlas.com/gear-vr-vs-oculus-rift-specs-comparison-2017/49015/

iFkMWw.jpg

We can still see pixels inside the googles (because we are so close to the screen and it has fish lens of some kind).. so the resolution we may need not to see pixels may be 14400x12800 or so (how do you compute the resolution where you can't see any pixels anymore).. anyone?

Attachments

• iFkMWw.jpg
    iFkMWw.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 545
Likes newjerseyrunner
Did the math, you were right. We’re not there yet, but getting close. Resolution doesn’t matter, it’s density.

Humans can destignguish individual pixels greater than about one arcminute. So the formula for density would be

60 * distance from eyes * tan(1 deg). So at one inch from your eyeball you’d want a resolution of about 3500ppi.

newjerseyrunner said:
Did the math, you were right. We’re not there yet, but getting close. Resolution doesn’t matter, it’s density.

Humans can destignguish individual pixels greater than about one arcminute. So the formula for density would be

60 * distance from eyes * tan(1 deg). So at one inch from your eyeball you’d want a resolution of about 3500ppi.

Shouldn't you factor in the fish eye lens?

The fish eye lens is what causes the immersive experience in VR.. before I looked through one.. I thought it was just like looking at tiny monitors inside googles. but it was not.. it has to be tried to believe...

jtlz said:
In the movie.. a character at one point couldn't differentiate between the virtual world and real world.. may I know what resolution must the VR google be to make it almost indistinguishable from reality?

Depends on your vision. Some people can distinguish things that others cannot.

There is also a color quality. Blends of three monochromatic pixels make the color in most screens. Real objects are usually sunlight with some frequencies adsorbed/transmitted and frequencies scattered. We are used to thinking of objects as the same thing whether they are under florescent, incandescent, or in direct sunlight. Walk around after a snowstorm and really focus on the color of the snow. The snow under HPS streetlights is not the same as the snow under mercury vapor lights. Most peoples brains accept the difference and render it irrelevant. The conscious mind usually registers "this parking lot has snow" and not "this lot is scattering HPS light". The contrast between leaves sprouting in the spring and leaves in summer is strong in most trees. If you held the leaves next to each other you could clearly see it. You can compare leaf color to the evergreen needles nearby. Most people believe that maple leaves are one color until fall when they turn to red or orange. We also do not think of the trees and other objects changing color when the sun sets but it is happening. A lump of coal and a snowball both scatter sunlight and are essentially the same. Our brains decide which is coal and which is snow because of the relative intensity. The VR goggles can be good enough if the goggles cover both eyes even if you could easily tell which eye was seeing reality using VR monocles.

Another angle, why would you want to simulate reality? Creating fantasy worlds sounds like a much better option to me.

Related to Ready Player One: Don't Miss This Immersive VR Experience

1. What is "Ready Player One: Don't Miss This Immersive VR Experience"?

"Ready Player One: Don't Miss This Immersive VR Experience" is a virtual reality experience based on the popular science fiction novel "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. It allows users to enter the world of the book and participate in various immersive gaming challenges.

2. How does the VR experience relate to the book?

The VR experience closely follows the plot of the book, allowing users to experience key moments and challenges faced by the characters. It also includes Easter eggs and references to the book that fans will appreciate.

3. What equipment is needed to participate in the VR experience?

To participate in the VR experience, users will need a VR headset, such as the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive, and a compatible gaming system or PC. They will also need to download the VR experience software.

4. Is the VR experience suitable for all ages?

The VR experience is recommended for ages 13 and up due to its immersive and potentially intense nature. It also contains some mature themes and language, similar to the book.

5. Can the VR experience be played alone or with others?

The VR experience can be played both alone and with others. There are single player challenges as well as multiplayer experiences where users can team up with friends or compete against each other.