Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
fresh_42 said:
That problem occurs around the world. But one can eat them. IMO the only way to get rid of invasive species like flying Asian carps.
Think of the type of banquet you can have with a 1,000-pound boar. Tho you will need a gigantic spit to cook it in. Leftovers alone could feed you for a month.

Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
My Wiki and general searches are somehow getting results with/in Hebrew letters and Jewish themes all of the sudden. Go figure.
that's strange. I used to get Indian videos when searching on youtube, even when my queries were in English. I never searched for anything in Indian and didn't google anything associated with it. But I always got such results for quite a long time. No idea why.
Maybe they are trying some new algorithms that cause issues like this?

On a completely random note, I hate snow-shovelling.

Sophia said:
that's strange. I used to get Indian videos when searching on youtube, even when my queries were in English. I never searched for anything in Indian and didn't google anything associated with it. But I always got such results for quite a long time. No idea why.
Google seems to be pretty poor at anticipating my searches for some reason, though they are obviously very good and successful in many respects otherwise. Was your experience getting the Indian videos a recent one ?

Likes Sophia
nuuskur said:
On a completely random note, I hate snow-shovelling.
To me snow is good either in postcards , or when you are inside with a hot drink. Otherwise it is a romanticism of those who don't live with it. Tho maybe it helps you appreciate the Summer weather some more. I mean, I am exaggerating, it is not so bad when there is little wind, but not quite as good as Summer for me (unless it is brutally hot).

nuuskur said:
On the composition of the vegetarian food vs normal...I mean ..food that contains meat, that's the argument they always bring up. "You know, it's scientifically proven that a human being can obtain every single necessary substance from any ..what's the word... non-meat food?" Yeah? Why don't you kindly point this research out to me aaaand they snap and totally change the subject and accuse me of being an inconsiderate a-word and have complete and utter disregard for my surrounding environment and you name it.
I went ten years without eating any meat. It started as a diet to lose weight, and then continued by inertia. I didn't feel any different: no drop in energy, and I used to exercise pretty regularly back then. Vegetarians used to claim that if you went back to eating meat, you would feel sick. But that didn't happen either. I did, however, lose the trim figure.

Sophia said:
If you click on anything, even by accident, YouTube thinks you love that subject or genre, and it starts offering that every time you go there. This happens to me whenever I watch any video someone posts here, at PF. Suddenly YouTube suggests a slew of similar videos, though I, myself haven't ever searched for any like that.

Likes Ibix and Sophia
Will it make someone happy if I say I care or when I say I actually don't care ? Racist is racist, there is no "pretend to be racist or classy!" to me. :wink:

Sometimes I'll watch a YouTube video and then continue watching whatever it keeps suggesting, just to see where it goes, if for no other reason just to see vague connections. It might start off with a Leonard Susskind lecture and then eventually, somehow, end up with a Taylor Swift music video.

Speaking of which, am I the only one who's noticed the strange syncopation between the Melvins and Taylor Swift?

Start by watching this video. I highly recommend listening to the whole thing, but if you don't like this sort of music, that's fine. Just start playing this one first, and if you want to skip to some point ahead, that's OK.

And then, at some random point when the Melvin's video is already playing, simultaneously, play this video such that the sound of both videos are playing at the same time. (Pretty much any Taylor Swift song will do, I just picked this one for no good reason.)

If they are not in sync immediately, listen for a couple of minutes and they will sync up. It's a bizarre sort to syncopation going on. It's fascinating. And maybe kind of creepy. So creepy that it's particularly fascinating.

Last edited:
It's not working for me. Maybe you're the first human with infrared hearing, or something.

Likes collinsmark
To electronic for me i like raw guitar and drums.

Likes collinsmark
Then again, maybe the Melvins might go with anything. Right now I'm watching the Melvins music (link from the previous post) together with a Bill Nye debate about creationism. [I like Bill Nye.] It's perfect.

It is up to you as to who you would want to be. Cheers! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Still not catching anything I find interesting in CSpan's BookTV with just one exception , over the last month or so : a presentation on drones by Bill Akins.

Where is that smell coming from? I don't remember leaving any food out for a while.

WWGD said:
Where is that smell coming from? I don't remember leaving any food out for a while.
You know how much I loved to complain. Don't let me curse the rain. There is more to life than just how I feel.
I must confess I've been infected with the song! :DD

Silicon Waffle said:
You know how much I loved to complain. Don't let me curse the rain. There is more to life than just how I feel.
I must confess I've been infected with the song! :DD
Is there a smell song you are referring to?

WWGD said:
Is there a smell song you are referring to?
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/best-songs-ever-2.718488/page-37#post-5347186

Sorry
Silicon Waffle said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/best-songs-ever-2.718488/page-37#post-5347186
Sorry, I don't get it.

WWGD said:
Sorry
Sorry, I don't get it.
Do you find the songs I posted good to listen ?

I thought you were replying to my comment on smell.

WWGD said:
I thought you were replying to my comment on smell.
Sorry I don't know about your smell.

Silicon Waffle said:
Sorry I don't know about your smell.
Lucky you :).

WWGD said:
Dead mouse? Kind of musty and sweet at the same time.

Ibix said:
It could be a big mac of cheese.

Ibix said:

Thanks, I will check that out; I had heard some rustling noises, so that must be it. They found a few in a housing place nearby, called the Strauss House ( no kidding), so the could have reported it as : Dead mouse at Strauss house. EDIT: Does the smell go way on its own shortly , or do I have to get rid of the mouse, who may be e.g., behind the refrigerator?

Last edited:
Silicon Waffle said:
It could be a big mac of cheese.

A big mac with cheese? I think big macs already include cheese?

Time to politely ask some cat if she wishes to live with you.

Sophia said:
Time to politely ask some cat if she wishes to live with you.
Good idea, should I name her "Mandu" or "Astrophe" , "Egory" ? You know, my cat...

WWGD said:
Good idea, should I name her "Mandu" or "Astrophe" , "Egory" ? You know, my cat...
Do those names mean something in your language? It definitely should be something sophisticated and a bit mystic

Sophia said:
Do those names mean something in your language? It definitely should be something sophisticated and a bit mystic
Lame joke. Catmandu, Catastrophe, Category.
However, Catmandu should actually be spelled Kathmandu.

Likes Sophia
"Esmeralda: What is your name?
Butch: Butch.
Esmeralda: What does it mean?
Butch: I'm American, honey. Our names don't mean dang." (Tarantino)

*) automatically censored, lol

Likes Sophia
I recommend "Chairman Miaow". A journey of a thousand miles begins with mewing piteously until someone does it for you.

Likes zoobyshoe
Borg said:
Lame joke. Catmandu, Catastrophe, Category.
However, Catmandu should actually be spelled Kathmandu.
How about Fish?