Random Thoughts 7

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
WWGD said:
Wonder if this site is legal:
There may be shady instances in those archives, but I think that one is basically just a specialized search engine.

What's more bothering for me is that whether paywalling a free resource just 'from the internet' is illegal or not :doh:

Likes BillTre and WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org

• Sad
Likes collinsmark, fresh_42, Rive and 1 other person
Rive said:
There may be shady instances in those archives, but I think that one is basically just a specialized search engine.

What's more bothering for me is that whether paywalling a free resource just 'from the internet' is illegal or not :doh:
Ask Aaron Swarz.

Last edited:
BillTre said:

As sad (that people ignore this fact) as (it is) true. If I had a garden, it would look like ...

csm_Blumenwiese_Germerode_c_ML_f65d3aa605.jpg

... probably even more chaotic since my sowing would look like ...

1708967471493.jpeg

Likes collinsmark and BillTre
Sure, if you have a personal gardener or a few free hours a day to maintain it. I'm all for urban living, at most hydroponic.

WWGD said:
Sure, if you have a personal gardener or a few free hours a day to maintain it. I'm all for urban living, at most hydroponic.
Growing it wild is less work to do than mowing the lawn.

Likes BillTre and Rive
fresh_42 said:
Growing it wild is less work to do than mowing the lawn.
Still more work than living in a building and not doing it. But still likely a few hours per week. Edit: Don't get me wrong, some like it and find it relaxing. I do too for housecleaning. But doing both is more than I'd choose.

Sorry, didn't mean to be argumentative here, just that the work does add up.

WWGD said:
Sure, if you have a personal gardener or a few free hours a day to maintain it.
For a garden to grow that way, the trick is actually the less maintenance... :wink:
2013-04-28_10-12-34.jpg

We just avoid any mowing till mid-may, when the bumblebees and mason bees most active.

Ps.: and even after that we skip many of that 'maintenance'.

• Love
Likes collinsmark and fresh_42
For the gardens I have used for growing veggies it is easy to set-up an automated watering system. Once set-up no real labor.
To counteract insect pests, I set an aquarium on end near the garden. Insectivorous wasps would build nests in the sheltered out of the rain space and patrol my plants for prey. No labor and they were not interested in stinging me.

• Informative
Likes WWGD and Bystander
BillTre said:
For the gardens I have used for growing veggies it is easy to set-up an automated watering system. Once set-up no real labor.
To counteract insect pests, I set an aquarium on end near the garden. Insectivorous wasps would build nests in the sheltered out of the rain space and patrol my plants for prey. No labor and they were not interested in stinging me.
Is Ecology/Biology an exception to Sparsity of Effects, i.e., where there are significant interactions of 3+ factors?

WWGD said:
Is Ecology/Biology an exception to Sparsity of Effects, i.e., where there are significant interactions of 3+ factors?
i don't know what this means. Please explain.

My politically opposite sister texted me a political wikipage address yesterday and asked me what I thought about it. I looked and pointed out that the last sentence of the article said that the political goal of the subject of the article never happened. She said it was happening now. So I did some independent research and pointed out where she was wrong. She then told me the subject matter I picked wasn't in the article. I said it was.

The interesting part came about 12 hours later when someone altered the wiki page and removed everything I had based my argument on, claiming it wasn't in the original article back in 1966.

My sister and I went back and forth a bit and then she started texting like some kind of grammatically broken robot;

"Me that wrote this part"
"Me wrote this part"

So I grabbed my phone and called her and it turned out her Facebook account had not been hacked and she was not coordinating with anyone to alter the wiki page we were discussing, and she DID post those somewhat foreign sounding "Me that wrote this part" messages.

Another interesting thing about the article is that although it's currently only about 600 words long, it has been revised over 500 times since 2008 when it was created.

Likes Bystander
BillTre said:
i don't know what this means. Please explain.
Hi, sure. In analyzing experiments, it's assumed that interactions between different factors are statistically insignificant between three-or-more factors.
From the

Individual factors may be significant, i.e., produce a noticeable effect on the ( value of the) dependent variable. Then we consider the interaction effect between pairs, triplets, quadruplets ( 4-ples) of factors on the dependent variable.

We may do a regression ,
Y=a1*x1+a2*x2+...+an*xn+ [ b1*x1x2 + b2*x1x3+...+]+ [c1*x1x2x3+...]+..+[k1*x1x2...xn]
where Y is the dependent variable , x1,x2,.., xn are the independent variables, and ai*xi denotes the effect of the variable xi, etc.and the term bj*xixj denotes/describe the effect of the interaction between the variables xi, xj in our regression, and cj*xixkxm is the term for the interaction of the independent variables xi,xk, xm. Interactions between triplets- or- higher of effects are assumed not to have much effect on the dependent variable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparsity-of-effects_principle

Likes BillTre
Best thing about the Internet:
It gives everyone a voice.
Worse thing about the Internet:
It gives everyone a voice.

• Haha
Likes BillTre and fresh_42
I was at a presentation today where a professional in my field presented her transition from student to profession - under soft skills she emphasized "attention to detail", which was spelled "atention to detail" in her power point...

• Haha
Likes BillTre, Ibix and WWGD
Mayhem said:
I was at a presentation today where a professional in my field presented her transition from student to profession - under soft skills she emphasized "attention to detail", which was spelled "atention to detail" in her power point...
Should have stood up and shouted " Irony, Irony".

He should have just brought it to her 'atention'.

Likes BillTre
Borg said:
He should have just brought it to her 'atention'.
I assume she had been distracted by some kind of a tension.

fresh_42 said:
I assume she had been distracted by some kind of a tension.
Then she should be put in de-tension.

• Haha
Likes BillTre and fresh_42
WWGD said:
Hi, sure. In analyzing experiments, it's assumed that interactions between different factors are statistically insignificant between three-or-more factors.
From the

Individual factors may be significant, i.e., produce a noticeable effect on the ( value of the) dependent variable. Then we consider the interaction effect between pairs, triplets, quadruplets ( 4-ples) of factors on the dependent variable.

We may do a regression ,
Y=a1*x1+a2*x2+...+an*xn+ [ b1*x1x2 + b2*x1x3+...+]+ [c1*x1x2x3+...]+..+[k1*x1x2...xn]
where Y is the dependent variable , x1,x2,.., xn are the independent variables, and ai*xi denotes the effect of the variable xi, etc.and the term bj*xixj denotes/describe the effect of the interaction between the variables xi, xj in our regression, and cj*xixkxm is the term for the interaction of the independent variables xi,xk, xm. Interactions between triplets- or- higher of effects are assumed not to have much effect on the dependent variable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparsity-of-effects_principle
I would then say yes, Ecology/Biology is an exception because there are may things biological that require three or more things to happen.

Likes WWGD
Regarding today, I wonder why no one's come up with the saying " as bad as eating fried eggs without toast".

WWGD said:
Regarding today, I wonder why no one's come up with the saying " as bad as eating fried eggs without toast".
... because its not bad?

BillTre said:
... because its not bad?
Are you on a low carb diet?

WWGD said:
Are you on a low carb diet?
I don't know.

BillTre said:
I don't know.
May be a matter of habit, taste. I need to dip something on the yolk of a fried egg.

Likes phinds
WWGD said:
May be a matter of habit, taste. I need to dip something on the yolk of a fried egg.
Its good for clean-up.

Enjoy your February 29th tomorrow. There won't be another one for a while.
I tried to write Python code to decide if a year was a leap year, but the conditions seemed
too confusing.

WWGD said:
Enjoy your February 29th tomorrow. There won't be another one for a while.
I tried to write Python code to decide if a year was a leap year, but the conditions seemed
too confusing.

One of the first projects you might do in an undergraduate introductory, practical astronomy class -- one targeted to actual, potential astronomers rather than the general public -- is to write programs to build calendars.

You might start with one that takes the given (Gregorian calendar) date and time as the input (and also your GMT offset), and produces the Julian Day as the output. Then another program to convert in the other direction.

Eventually you might work up to calculating the dates and times of of sunrises, sunsets, lunar eclipses. etc.

Likes WWGD
collinsmark said:
One of the first projects you might do in an undergraduate introductory, practical astronomy class -- one targeted to actual, potential astronomers rather than the general public -- is to write programs to build calendars.

You might start with one that takes the given (Gregorian calendar) date and time as the input (and also your GMT offset), and produces the Julian Day as the output. Then another program to convert in the other direction.

Eventually you might work up to calculating the dates and times of of sunrises, sunsets, lunar eclipses. etc.
I assume there aren't more than around 1,000 jobs in the US working directly as an astronomer?

Likes collinsmark
Another customer support scam attempt. Restarting, logging of, back on, put an end to it. But not sure how they freeze or seemed to freeze the screen.

collinsmark said:

Maybe Ray Knight can output the Julian Day ; ).

Likes collinsmark
School books: Hundreds of dollars
School tuition: Thousands of dollars
Having a morning coffee conversation with your 18yo daughter about Lenz's Law and the implications of conversion of energy and momentum instead of sex, drugs, rock and roll.
Priceless.

• Haha
Likes WWGD, collinsmark, phinds and 1 other person
I had heard of the friendship between Godel and Einstein over the years, but I was surprised to find out Einstein was around 30 years older than Godel.

Better top to bottom: Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away. Just need to remember not to contract Do Not into Don't. Better, imp than All People Seem To Need Data Processing. Though try not to blend them into All People Need Sausage Pizza.