Random Thoughts 7

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
Bleugh. :confused:

ClearSkyChart 2024-02-02.jpg

So much for astrophotography for a while.

In the mean time, the camera is off the old scope, and I'm taking the opportunity to build up a new DARK library for a new scope/rig/setup, with the new gain and binning settings I plan to use. (I plan on binning 2×2 instead of 3×3, along with a correspondingly lower gain setting to improve resolution and dynamic range. At least as a start.) I might post updates on the new setup in the Astronomy/Astrophysics sub-forum, in the coming weeks, perhaps.

Come to think of it, the new equipment was probably packaged with the obligatory clouds. That tracks.

Likes BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Great final! Does anybody else watch it?
@Ibix, @pinball1970 perhaps?
I'm surprised there's no team named " Tigers". It seems to pop up everywhere else.

fresh_42 said:
Great final! Does anybody else watch it?
@Ibix, @pinball1970 perhaps?
If I ask "final of what", does that answer your question?

Likes WWGD
Ibix said:
If I ask "final of what", does that answer your question?
Yes. Does "Trump has just won a few seconds ago" answer your question?

It was worth watching. I hope Trump won't keep this form until spring. I'm still a Ronnie fan.

Likes Ibix
fresh_42 said:
Yes. Does "Trump has just won a few seconds ago" answer your question?

It was worth watching. I hope Trump won't keep this form until spring. I'm still a Ronnie fan.
Why am I accessing an old/weird format of PF, rather than the present one

Greg said there were some problems with the PHP update at the weekend - going to guess he tried updating it again and there are still problems...

Likes WWGD
Greg said there were some problems with the PHP update at the weekend - going to guess he tried updating it again and there are still issues.

This is why there are so few old growth forests left.
When I moved to Oregon in the 1980's trucks with logs like this were still seen on the highways.
Not now.

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 8.27.43 AM.png

• Wow
Likes collinsmark, Borg and WWGD
Not sure if it's a true story, but I heard about this guy with last name Lakoff, who opened up a communication company with his name, didn't last too long: " Lakoff Communication ".

• Haha
Likes nuuskur
I've been offline for a while due to a failed MODEM. I bought a new one and it just now let me open the internet.

Likes WWGD and collinsmark
Spring has sprung here in my little town in Kansas. Birds of every type that are normally here in the summer are here now.

dlgoff said:
Spring has sprung here in my little town in Kansas. Birds of every type that are normally here in the summer are here now.
How much earlier is this than your normal spring onset?

phinds said:
How much earlier is this than your normal spring onset?
one to two months.

• Wow
Likes phinds and BillTre
O
Screenshot_20240208_203228_Chrome.jpg

Or maybe now he has the power to change it himself?

Is there a need/interest with PF users to be able to ask just-beyond reference questions requiring only two-three word answers? e.g., are algae protista ? Or, is every nxn matrix satisfying ##A^n =I; I ## the identity conjugate to a diagonal matrix with n-th roots of unity in the diagonal, or, is the value of ##G## in ## F= \frac {Gm_1m_2}{r^2} ## different in different planets/settings, etc? These would go slightly beyond pure reference questions , but wouldn't be full questions either?

It is really inconvenient to search for Taylor series these days.

• Haha
Likes phinds, Borg, dlgoff and 1 other person
" Windows has run into a problem " blue screen has become :
" Your PC has run into a problem". Hmm

I guess marketing over engineering.

fresh_42 said:
It is really inconvenient to search for Taylor series these days.
Is this related to my post? Don't get it. Are the answers to my questions too obvious ?

WWGD said:
Is this related to my post? Don't get it. Are the answers to my questions too obvious ?

I'm guessing it's unrelated. My interpretation is that it's tough these days to do Internet (e.g., google) searches on Taylor series (i.e., Taylor Series Expansion) due to the increasingly popular superstardom of Taylor Swift.

Likes phinds, fresh_42 and WWGD
collinsmark said:
I'm guessing it's unrelated. My interpretation is that it's tough these days to do Internet (e.g., google) searches on Taylor series (i.e., Taylor Series Expansion) due to the increasingly popular superstardom of Taylor Swift.
Ah, thanks for tailoring your comment to mine ;) , makes sense.

Likes collinsmark
Saw a cop walking into a Dunkin Donuts. Had to hold myself back from shouting " Stereotype, Stereotype!"

• Haha
Likes dlgoff
Super Bowl LVIII. How about those KC Chiefs?

Likes Borg, WWGD and BillTre
Kind of depressing thought came to me when hearing the trope " One door closes but one door opens". Yes, door with the car closes, door with the goat opens.

dlgoff said:
Super Bowl LVIII. How about those KC Chiefs?
... Mahomes and the last quarter ...

Likes dlgoff and BillTre
This was my favorite Super Bowl commercial. :oldlaugh:

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto and dlgoff
Ai voice translator into Spanish: Eton = Eat On, "Continua comiendo". A profesor with last name " Escaleras ", translated into " Stair master". We have at least 10 good years until AI takes over.

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
dlgoff said:
The link just takes me to a blank MSN page
BB1ie8Lw.jpg

Likes dlgoff
fresh_42 said:
Thanks for the photo. But I wonder why the link doesn't open for me?

dlgoff said:
Thanks for the photo. But I wonder why the link doesn't open for me?
Not sure, it opened up for me. Any error message?

WWGD said:
Not sure, it opened up for me. Any error message?
Well. I'm using Chrome and it pops up "taking to long to load." But it does that on about every link. Maybe because I'm still using windows 7.
edit: the message is page unresponsive.

dlgoff said:
The link just takes me to a blank MSN page
Is the link/url parsed?
When I used the link, it takes me to the article

Cliffside collapse in California: Mansions teeter on edge as more bad weather forecasted​

Windows7?! :oops:

Likes WWGD
Astronuc said:
Is the link/url parsed?
When I used the link, it takes me to the article

Cliffside collapse in California: Mansions teeter on edge as more bad weather forecasted​

Windows7?! :oops:
I finally got the article using this link when doing a Google search:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/cliffsid...sions-teeter-edge-more-bad-weather-forecasted

I know, I know. Windows 7 is about the only thing that will run on this old machine.