Random Photos

In summary: I only remember the Canadian part.I took this photo of some Canadian wolves a few weeks ago.In summary, the photo is of Canadian wolves.
  • #1,296
Not a great picture, not centred correctly, probably because I climbed up the statute opposite to get a better scope. I'm not great with heights.
I spent many an hour here in the 80s, central library, Manchester.
IMG_20230708_115555_761.jpg

Last edited:
Likes DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,297
pinball1970 said:
central library
Where?

• #1,298
phinds said:
Where?
Manchester.

• Informative
Likes phinds
  • #1,299
Here's a restaurant where the food is really hot:

IMG_0289.jpeg

• Love
Likes phinds, berkeman, jack action and 6 others
  • #1,300
DennisN said:
I just love that the different petals are in different, distinct colors.
Google Pictures says it's some sort of Dahlia.
That Dahlia photo got my wife's attention (she is into colored-pencil artwork and wants to try sketching it).

After a bit of on-line research she came up with:
Sorry, no URL; she is on a tablet and can't display such 'unimportant' things! It was found thru a Google search for Dahlia Mary Eveline. The following came up when she clicked on one of the first few sponsored advertising images.

Call name: Dahlia Anemone Mary Eveline (some American sites use Evelyn)
(Scientific)
Name: Dahlia
Species: Dahlia
Genus: Dahlia
Family: Asteraceae
Order: Asterales
Hardiness: Zones 8-11
Duration: Perennial
Sun exposure: Full Shade
Soil: Loam, Sand, Clay
Soil PH: 6.1-7.5

• Informative
Likes pinball1970 and DennisN
  • #1,301
Tom.G said:
That Dahlia photo got my wife's attention (she is into colored-pencil artwork and wants to try sketching it).

After a bit of on-line research she came up with:
Sorry, no URL; she is on a tablet and can't display such 'unimportant' things! It was found thru a Google search for Dahlia Mary Eveline. The following came up when she clicked on one of the first few sponsored advertising images.

Call name: Dahlia Anemone Mary Eveline (some American sites use Evelyn)
(Scientific)
Name: Dahlia
Species: Dahlia
Genus: Dahlia
Family: Asteraceae
Order: Asterales
Hardiness: Zones 8-11
Duration: Perennial
Sun exposure: Full Shade
Soil: Loam, Sand, Clay
Soil PH: 6.1-7.5
Thanks a lot! :smile:

Likes Tom.G
  • #1,302
I got some help stringing together a series of images into a video, the idea is a continuous zoom. Hope you enjoy it!

• Love
Likes DennisN, morrobay, collinsmark and 3 others
  • #1,303
Andy Resnick said:
I got some help stringing together a series of images into a video, the idea is a continuous zoom. Hope you enjoy it!
Fun Easter Egg! What are the black rectangles around the IC? They look too fine-pitch to be wire bonding pads...?

1689621244985.png

Last edited:
  • #1,304
berkeman said:
Fun Easter Egg! What are the black rectangles around the IC? They look too fine-pitch to be wire bonding pads...?

View attachment 329375
If I understand what you mean, those are indeed the bonding pads... I don't think there were actual wires, tho-not sure what the correct terminology is for modern stuff (bump bonding?)

Likes berkeman
  • #1,305
Andy Resnick said:
If I understand what you mean, those are indeed the bonding pads... I don't think there were actual wires, tho-not sure what the correct terminology is for modern stuff (bump bonding?)
Pretty amazing stuff. One of the previous companies I worked for did advanced IC packaging, but I was only peripherally involved in that part of the business. Looking it up now, I guess it is indeed possible...

https://semiengineering.com/scaling-bump-pitches-in-advanced-packaging/

1689700325666.png

Interconnects for advanced packaging are at a crossroads as an assortment of new package types are pushing further into the mainstream, with some vendors opting to extend the traditional bump approaches while others roll out new ones to replace them.

The goal in all cases is to ensure signal integrity between components in IC packages as the volume of data being processed increases. But as devices continue to shrink and more components are added into advanced packages to process, move, and store more data, new technologies with more I/Os will be required. So while traditional solder balls and/or copper microbumps still will be used for the foreseeable future, new technologies are under development that can augment or replace those interconnect technologies, increasing the number of I/Os and providing more headroom for scaling.

As always, size and cost are the determining factors. Copper microbumps are smaller than solder balls/bumps, enabling more I/Os in packages. In today’s advanced packages, the most advanced microbumps involve a 40μm pitch, which equates to 20μm to 25μm bump sizes with 15μm spacing between the adjacent bumps on the die.

• #1,306
Doing some formation practice in DCS with some friends.

Screen_230510_002652.jpg

Likes pinball1970, morrobay, Ivan Seeking and 2 others
  • #1,307
Flyboy said:
Doing some formation practice in DCS with some friends.
Hmm... I recognize those signs. Swedish aircraft? Three crowns?

• #1,308
DennisN said:
Hmm... I recognize those signs. Swedish aircraft? Three crowns?
Correct! It's an AJS37 Viggen.

Likes DennisN
  • #1,309
Same photo with one inverted

1689803431258.jpeg

1689803465860.png

Likes pinball1970 and phinds
  • #1,310
The light intensities give it away.
Double reflected light will be less bright that singly reflected light.

Likes pinball1970, Ivan Seeking and morrobay
  • #1,311
Andy Resnick said:
That is so darn cool with the zoom ins!
I feel you are just one step away from getting an electron microscope :biggrin:.
Probably hard to find in cheap, small versions, though... :smile:

Here's one listed, though I somehow don't think it's the real thing :biggrin::

USBScope.jpg

Aah, imagine if electron microscopes were available in these sizes and at this price...
...what a wonderful world it would be :smile:.

Likes Andy Resnick
  • #1,312
DennisN said:
Aah, imagine if electron microscopes were available in these sizes and at this price...
Except, you have to sit in a vacuum chamber to look through it... :wink:

• Haha
Likes DennisN
  • #1,313
berkeman said:
Except, you have to sit in a vacuum chamber
That sucks.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, berkeman and DennisN
  • #1,314
berkeman said:
Except, you have to sit in a vacuum chamber to look through it...

Ibix said:
That sucks.

What's all this fuss about vacuum? It's nothing, really.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, phinds, Ivan Seeking and 4 others
  • #1,315
DennisN said:
What's all this fuss about vacuum? It's nothing, really.

You can't breathe. 😜

Likes DennisN
  • #1,316
DennisN said:
That is so darn cool with the zoom ins!
I feel you are just one step away from getting an electron microscope :biggrin:.
Probably hard to find in cheap, small versions, though... :smile:

Here's one listed, though I somehow don't think it's the real thing :biggrin::

The low price is matched by the low magnification! (from site: Magnification ratio: 50X-1000X)

It's practically an electron mAcroscope!

• Haha
Likes DennisN
  • #1,317
Ibix said:
That sucks.
My shopvac also blows :)

Likes BillTre and Ibix
  • #1,318
That's an optical microscope mislabeled as an electron microscope by some stupid marketer, probably it is electronic and he got confused.

Even the smallest EMs (electron microscopes) take a table top. And yes, they do require a vacuum (those electrons have to be able to fly free).
They also require high voltages (not usually available at home) and a very vibration free install site.
Scanning EMs look at surfaces and are probably the smallest.
Transmission EMs (electrons going through sections) are larger and often higher power.

• Informative
Likes DennisN, collinsmark and berkeman
  • #1,319
BillTre said:
The light intensities give it away.
Double reflected light will be less bright that singly reflected light.
You can also see a couple of branches floating in the air.

Likes BillTre
  • #1,320
My favorite photo, when I was studying their work they always seemed bigger than life. But when I look at this, I try to see them as average people and not as the rock stars of physics. I know a bit about some of their personal lives but not much. I have to think their egos were huge! I tend to think an evening with that crowd would not be easy.

1689887115732.png

• #1,321
I would expect a variety of personalities. it wouldn't surprise if certain types were disproportionately common, but not exclusive.
I haven't know a lot of physicists, but I have known many biologists. Some are quite nice. Some have won Noble Prizes.
Some are assholes, not all do well.

• #1,322
BillTre said:
I would expect a variety of personalities. it wouldn't surprise if certain types were disproportionately common, but not exclusive.
I haven't know a lot of physicists, but I have known many biologists. Some are quite nice. Some have won Noble Prizes.
Some are assholes, not all do well.
If you could meet one person from that photo today, who would it be?

For me it would probably be Schrodinger. From what I have read he liked the ladies. I do too so we would probably have a lot to talk about. :cool:

It might be fun to talk with Heisenberg about the philosophical implications of his uncertainty principle. But what physicist or physics lover could resist an opportunity to speak with any of them?!

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
  • #1,323
Here's a post about a little editing trick in Photoshop...

I took a walk through the park the other day and saw a nice scene, but I didn't have my system camera with me, so I shot it with my mobile phone which doesn't happen very often these days.

What caught my eye was the sky and the reflection of it in the pond.
If I had been using my system camera I would have shot it with a polarizing filter in front of the lens to get a more dramatic contrast of the sky, but I had to do without it.

Here's the original:

1.png

In Photoshop you can use can use the Shadows/Highlights adjustment (Menu->Image->Adjustments->Shadows->Highlights) and set it like this...

Image-Adjustments-Shadows-Highlights.png

...which can give a more dramatic sky.
This is a kind of "overexposure compensation".
Another little trick I picked up from somewhere I don't remember.

Here's the edited result:

2.png

The colors change a bit, but this can of course be further edited if you like to.

Likes collinsmark, Rive and morrobay
  • #1,324
Here is a map of South Asia (land of the Danios) and their drainage basins. I got it from this place.
The drainage basins are a common restriction for where a species can easily spread to.
There are several isolated drainage basins in Tibet and Mongolia with no outlet to the sea.

S.Asia_River_Catchments_smaller_smaller.png

Likes pinball1970, Rive, morrobay and 1 other person
  • #1,325
1690239900076.png

• Haha
Likes DennisN, pinball1970, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #1,326
1690240099337.png

• Wow
Likes DennisN, pinball1970 and BillTre
  • #1,327
I ride along here everyday, North Rd into Pattaya. Walking today noticed this was photo worthy.
IMG_20230725_121435.jpg

Likes Ivan Seeking, DennisN, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #1,328
The amazing transformation with my massage friend from her family's rice farm up-country. Kul,42
Screenshot_2023-07-25-18-22-14-422_jp.naver.line.android.jpg
IMG_20230725_160119_1.jpg

Likes Ivan Seeking and DennisN
  • #1,329
Walk through between Walking st. and 2nd Rd.
IMG_20230727_134211.jpg
IMG_20230727_134102_1.jpg

Likes DennisN
  • #1,330
IMG_20230728_184130.jpg

From Eastern side gulf of Thailand. Latitude 13 N

• Love
Likes collinsmark, Ivan Seeking, DennisN and 4 others