Radius of A Circle inside a Sphere

In summary, the question is asking for the shortest distance between the end of a rotated vector and the z-axis, given a sphere with a radius of r centered at the origin. The solution involves drawing a right triangle and using the equation rcosθ. This information is needed for a programming assignment.
PAR

Homework Statement

Say you have a sphere of radius r centered at the origin, and a vector v <r,0,0>.

Let v' be the vector v rotated about the y-axis by angle theta.

What is the shortest distance between the end of the vector and the z-axis?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a picture:

[PLAIN]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/9459/circleinsphere.png

Obviously the shortest distance would be the line normal to the z-axis that would complete a right triangle with the y-axis and the vector v'. The distance is also equal to the radius of a circle, which I drew on the picture.

Because of this, I believe the answer is r*cos(theta), however I am not sure, and I need to know this for a programming assignment. Thank You!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PAR! :wink:

Yes, rcosθ. :smile:

Related to Radius of A Circle inside a Sphere

1. What is the definition of "Radius of A Circle inside a Sphere"?

The radius of a circle inside a sphere is the distance from the center of the sphere to the edge of the circle. It is also known as the inscribed circle radius.

2. How can the radius of a circle inside a sphere be calculated?

The radius of a circle inside a sphere can be calculated using the formula r = (2/3)(R), where R is the radius of the sphere.

3. What is the relationship between the radius of a circle inside a sphere and the sphere's diameter?

The radius of a circle inside a sphere is half of the sphere's diameter. This means that the diameter of the sphere is twice the radius of the circle.

4. Can the radius of a circle inside a sphere be larger than the radius of the sphere?

No, the radius of a circle inside a sphere cannot be larger than the radius of the sphere. This is because the circle is inscribed within the sphere, so its diameter cannot be greater than the diameter of the sphere.

5. What are some real-life examples of a circle inside a sphere?

Some examples of a circle inside a sphere include a basketball inside a hoop, a coin inside a can, and a tennis ball inside a tube. These objects all have a circular shape that fits perfectly inside a spherical object.