RA vs TA Funding for PhD in Aerospace/Mechanical Engg

• Thread starter JD88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funding
In summary, the conversation discusses the advantages and disadvantages of receiving graduate funding as a Research Assistant (RA) or Teaching Assistant (TA) while pursuing a PhD in aerospace or mechanical engineering. The general consensus is that being an RA is preferable as it allows individuals to work on their thesis and gain valuable experience and publications. TAs are often chosen due to lack of funding and may have a higher pay, but being an RA can expedite graduation.
JD88
I plan on pursuing my PhD in aerospace or mechanical engineering and I am wondering, what are the advantages/disadvantages of getting graduate funding as an RA or TA? I feel like being an RA would require a lot more work but at the same time would be useful because you would gain even more experience and potentially get more publications.

Physics news on Phys.org
RA allows you to work on what hopefully should be your thesis and be paid for it.

Yeah, what J93 said. Unless you especially enjoy TAing, an RA is always better. Instead of getting paid to do stuff that gets in the way of your research, you're getting paid to do stuff that will actually get you graduated. People usually become TAs because their advisors don't have the funds to pay them (at least that's how it works in physics). If your advisor gives you the option of working as an RA, you should always take it. And this is coming from someone who actually likes teaching.

In my department, TAs tend to be paid slightly more than RAs. But hey, the fact that I'm actually expediting my own graduatio makes up for that.

Related to RA vs TA Funding for PhD in Aerospace/Mechanical Engg

What is the difference between RA and TA funding for a PhD in Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering?

RA (Research Assistantship) funding is typically awarded to PhD students who are working on research projects under the supervision of a faculty member. This funding covers the student's tuition and provides a stipend for their work on the research project. TA (Teaching Assistantship) funding, on the other hand, involves teaching or assisting with undergraduate courses, and typically covers the student's tuition and provides a stipend for their teaching duties.

Which type of funding is more common for PhD students in Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering?

RA funding is generally more common for PhD students in Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering. This is because these fields often involve research projects that require a significant amount of time and resources, making RA funding a better fit for students pursuing a PhD.

Are there any differences in eligibility requirements for RA and TA funding?

Yes, the eligibility requirements for RA and TA funding may differ. RA funding is typically awarded based on the student's research abilities and potential, while TA funding may require the student to have prior teaching experience or knowledge in specific subjects related to the teaching duties.

Can a student receive both RA and TA funding for their PhD in Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering?

It is possible for a student to receive both RA and TA funding, but it is not very common. Some universities may have restrictions on receiving both types of funding, so it is best to check with the specific institution for their policies.

How does the application process differ for RA and TA funding?

The application process for RA and TA funding may differ. For RA funding, students typically apply for specific research projects or positions within a research group. For TA funding, students may need to apply to specific teaching assistant positions or demonstrate their teaching abilities through a teaching statement or sample lesson plan.