Quick question about binomial theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Pascal's triangle and the nCr function on a calculator to expand binomials. The question of using the nCr function when using the binomial theorem is raised, with the realization that it is a simpler way to calculate coefficients. There is a brief mention of a typo in the formula for nCk.
MadmanMurray
I know how to expand binomials with the aid of pascals triangle and also with the aid of the nCr function on the calculator. I'm not quite sure about this formula though
88573eb41d838aef0f39a929f5eba744.png

see the part in the brackets where n is above k. What does that mean? Someone told me that represents nCk. Is that true? Are you supposed to use that nCr function when using the binomial theorem to expand binomials? I was under the impression that the formula worked out the coefficients without using that nCr function.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
yes the part in the brackets where n is above k is nCk
also expressible as
n!/[(n-k)!n!]

Thanks alot. I thought that formula was some complex way of getting the binomial coefficients without using the nCr button on the calculator. On a test I had a question that asked me to expand a degree 5 binomial using the binomial theorem and I was thinking the teacher wouldn't make us waste our time using that nCr button so many times. I used it anyway so I musta got the question right.

lurflurf said:
also expressible as
n!/[(n-k)!n!]

You have a typo? should read n!/[(n-k)!k!]

mathman said:
You have a typo? should read n!/[(n-k)!k!]

yes

also expressible as
n!/[(n-k)!k!]

Related to Quick question about binomial theorem

1. What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a mathematical formula that provides a way to expand a binomial expression raised to a positive integer power.

2. How is the binomial theorem used in mathematics?

The binomial theorem is used in various branches of mathematics, including algebra, calculus, and probability. It allows for the simplification and expansion of binomial expressions, making it easier to solve complex problems.

3. What is the general form of the binomial theorem?

The general form of the binomial theorem is (a + b)^n = a^n + (n choose 1)a^(n-1)b + (n choose 2)a^(n-2)b^2 + ... + (n choose n-1)ab^(n-1) + b^n, where n is a positive integer and (n choose k) represents the number of ways to choose k objects from a set of n objects.

4. How is the binomial theorem related to probability?

The binomial theorem is closely related to the binomial distribution, which is a probability distribution that describes the number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials. The binomial theorem can be used to calculate the probabilities of specific outcomes in a binomial experiment.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the binomial theorem?

Yes, the binomial theorem has many real-world applications, including in fields such as statistics, genetics, and finance. It can be used to solve problems involving combinations, permutations, and probability, making it a valuable tool in various industries.