Number of possible unique outcomes help - Binomial

• Thread starter beadmaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binomial
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the number of possible outcomes when a given number of variables are chosen randomly a given number of times, with order being redundant. The formula for this is given as f(v,p) = [v(v+1)(v+2)...(v+p-1)]/(p!), which can also be derived from Pascal's triangle. The conversation also references combinatorics, binomial theorem, and "nCr" as further topics to explore. Several links are provided for additional information on these concepts.
beadmaster
Hi,

My question is based around the idea about calculating the number of possible outcomes when a given number of variables are chosen randomly (all with equal probability of being picked) a given number of times. Most importantly, I an specifically working so that order is redundant. ie AAB = ABA = BAA and would therefore only count those 3 possibilities as one possible "unique" outcome.

I'm aware that if for example AB is not equal to BA in the context of this question then the number of possible outcomes would just be:

(number of variables)^(number of states or "picks")

Example: for 3 variables ABC and 3 Picks

AAA
AAB
ABC
CCB
CCC

out of all 27 possible combinations, there are only 10 unique ones

From observation and a little work I managed to get the formula:

f(v,p) = [v(v+1)(v+2)...(v+p-1)]/(p!)

where: v= number of variables
p= number of picks

and it works, but interestingly (to me at least) was that the answer could be taken directly from pascals triangle.

by p= p'th row on pascals traingle (taking top row = 0)
v= v'th value on the diagnal from either side

I know a bit about binomial theorem, possible outcomes, "nCr" etc but could someone quickly give me a direction/link from the derived formula and pascal/binomial theorem..

Many Thanks
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Related to Number of possible unique outcomes help - Binomial

1. What is the formula for calculating the number of possible unique outcomes in a binomial experiment?

The formula for calculating the number of possible unique outcomes in a binomial experiment is nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n is the number of trials and r is the number of desired outcomes.

2. How do you determine the number of trials in a binomial experiment?

The number of trials in a binomial experiment is determined by the number of independent events that occur. For example, if you are flipping a coin 10 times, then the number of trials would be 10.

3. Can the number of possible unique outcomes in a binomial experiment be greater than the number of trials?

No, the number of possible unique outcomes in a binomial experiment cannot be greater than the number of trials. The maximum number of possible outcomes is equal to the number of trials.

4. How does changing the number of desired outcomes affect the number of possible unique outcomes in a binomial experiment?

Changing the number of desired outcomes will affect the number of possible unique outcomes in a binomial experiment. The greater the number of desired outcomes, the smaller the number of possible unique outcomes will be.

5. What is the significance of the number of possible unique outcomes in a binomial experiment?

The number of possible unique outcomes in a binomial experiment is significant because it helps determine the probability of a specific outcome occurring. It also helps in understanding the distribution of outcomes in a given experiment.