Quick Calculus 1 Homework Help Needed: Final Exam Prep

In summary, the conversation discusses a final exam and specific questions regarding derivatives and integrals. For #8, the process for drawing the second derivative graph is explained. For #12, the method of splitting an integral into sections is suggested. For #15, the importance of considering the concavity and limits when graphing a function is discussed. The conversation also clarifies that for #12, the answer for g(1) is not -1 but rather 0, and for g(3) it is -2.
thercias

Homework Statement

calc3_zps3dd48d27.png

calc2_zpsc786a589.png

calc1_zps15908ccd.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out #11, could use help with the other questions. I have a final tomorrow in the morning and my professor gave us a few questions to try out so help would be appreciated. For #8 I'm not sure how to draw the second derivative graph, for #12 I don't know where to begin, and for #15 I don't know how to find the anti derivative of f'(x) so I can't start the problem. Help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
For 8 to draw f'(x) you need to see where the slopes are increasing, decreasing or remaining constant. From 0 to 3, you can see the slope is constant. From 3 to 6-7ish the slopes are increasing and from 7 on the slope is decreasing. You can draw a graph based on the knowledge I just told you. Do the same to that graph to get the 2nd derivative graph.

That's what I pretty much thought, thanks for the reasurement. The only one I really don't got a clue on is #12, so if someone could explain that for me that'd be great.

For 8) once you draw the derivative f '(x) then just draw the derivative of that graph to find f ''(x).

For 12) remember that you can split an integral up into sections, for example,
[tex]\int _ 1 ^5 f(x)dx = \int _ 1 ^2 f(x)dx + \int _2 ^ 4 f(x)dx + \int _4 ^5 f(x)dx[/tex]
so you should do the same, choosing your sections based on the changing slope of the graph of f.

For 15) you aren't expected to take the anti-derivative. This should be obvious because it's giving you a lot more information than just the derivative function.
So to start drawing the function, begin with points that you can quickly determine, such as f(0) = 1. Once you draw this point on your axis, also plot the limits at the ends of your graph.

Now, what can we determine from the derivative and second derivative? Well, f ''(x) has a perfect square in the denominator so it's always positive (except at [itex]x=\pm 2[/itex]) and so since the numerator is -8x, this means that for positive x values, the second derivative is negative, and for negative values it's positive. This tells you what the concavity of the graph is (think of the shape of a parabola x2 that has positive concavity versus a parabola -x2 which has negative concavity).

What about the first derivative? We already know there's a problem at [itex]x=\pm 2[/itex] because the denominator is 0 at those points, so what is

[tex]\lim_{x\to 2^-} f'(x)[/tex]

and

[tex]\lim_{x\to 2^+} f'(x)[/tex]

and the same for -2?

calc5_zpsb15d2686.png

would the answer to this just be 0.5(4+6+4)=7?

Mentallic said:
For 8) once you draw the derivative f '(x) then just draw the derivative of that graph to find f ''(x).

For 12) remember that you can split an integral up into sections, for example,
[tex]\int _ 1 ^5 f(x)dx = \int _ 1 ^2 f(x)dx + \int _2 ^ 4 f(x)dx + \int _4 ^5 f(x)dx[/tex]
so you should do the same, choosing your sections based on the changing slope of the graph of f.

For 15) you aren't expected to take the anti-derivative. This should be obvious because it's giving you a lot more information than just the derivative function.
So to start drawing the function, begin with points that you can quickly determine, such as f(0) = 1. Once you draw this point on your axis, also plot the limits at the ends of your graph.

Now, what can we determine from the derivative and second derivative? Well, f ''(x) has a perfect square in the denominator so it's always positive (except at [itex]x=\pm 2[/itex]) and so since the numerator is -8x, this means that for positive x values, the second derivative is negative, and for negative values it's positive. This tells you what the concavity of the graph is (think of the shape of a parabola x2 that has positive concavity versus a parabola -x2 which has negative concavity).

What about the first derivative? We already know there's a problem at [itex]x=\pm 2[/itex] because the denominator is 0 at those points, so what is

[tex]\lim_{x\to 2^-} f'(x)[/tex]

and

[tex]\lim_{x\to 2^+} f'(x)[/tex]

and the same for -2?

So for #12, the answer for g(1) would be -1 because the slope is -1, the anti derivative of that is -x and just plug in 1 and you get the answer? Also how would you find the answer for something like g(3) where the point is between the changing slopes.

I'm kind of lost on #15 now, will give a try though. Thanks for the help.

thercias said:
So for #12, the answer for g(1) would be -1 because the slope is -1, the anti derivative of that is -x and just plug in 1 and you get the answer? Also how would you find the answer for something like g(3) where the point is between the changing slopes.
No. g(1) ≠ -1 .

If ##\displaystyle \ g(x)=\int_{1}^{x}f(x)\,dx\,,\ ## then ##\displaystyle \ g(1)=\int_{1}^{1}f(x)\,dx\ .\ ##

Think of the definite integral as the area under the curve -- or the negative of the area above the curve.

SammyS said:
No. g(1) ≠ -1 .

If ##\displaystyle \ g(x)=\int_{1}^{x}f(x)\,dx\,,\ ## then ##\displaystyle \ g(1)=\int_{1}^{1}f(x)\,dx\ .\ ##

Think of the definite integral as the area under the curve -- or the negative of the area above the curve.

ok i think i got it. so i don't really even need to take the antiderivative..just look at the graph and calculate area. g(1) = 0

Related to Quick Calculus 1 Homework Help Needed: Final Exam Prep

What is Calculus 1?

Calculus 1 is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change, and is typically the first course in a college-level calculus sequence.

Why do I need help with Calculus 1?

Calculus 1 can be a difficult subject for many students because it requires a strong understanding of algebra and a new way of thinking about mathematical concepts. Seeking help can provide clarification and support for better understanding.

How can I improve my understanding of Calculus 1?

To improve your understanding of Calculus 1, it is important to attend class regularly, take thorough notes, practice regularly, and seek help when needed. It can also be helpful to work through practice problems and seek additional resources such as tutors or online resources.

What are some common topics covered in Calculus 1?

Some common topics covered in Calculus 1 include limits, derivatives, and basic integration. These concepts are essential building blocks for more advanced calculus courses.

What are some resources for finding help with Calculus 1?

Some resources for finding help with Calculus 1 include your professor's office hours, tutoring services on campus, online tutoring services, and study groups with classmates. It can also be helpful to use online resources such as practice problems, videos, and study guides.