Questions about edX (opencourseware) on college resume?

In summary: I just want to make sure I am not compromising my grad school applications by taking something I may not need.In summary, the only courses left for an AA in engineering are Calc III, Physics II, and ODE. So, the student decided to take some additional opencourseware courses. The student is wondering if it is worth pursuing the certification on completion. The student also wonders if having completed the course on their transcript shows that they have learned the material. The student questions what the best way to display their additional education is for graduate schools.
Ascendant78
This coming semester, the only courses I have left to finish my AA are Calc III, Physics II, and ODE. So, I figured I would take some additional opencourseware since I will have the spare time. On that note, I was hoping some of you might give me insight into some questions I had regarding opencourseware from edX that awards you certifications on completion:

1. Is it worth earning the certifications on edX or just audit at your own pace? Do colleges really consider those types of "badges" to have any accreditation at all?

2. Tying into question 1, is it worth putting completed opencourseware on your college resume for grad schools? If so, should it only be ones you can back up with certifications? For example, I took MIT's physics 8.01 in conjunction with my college's course to complement it, but only audited it (no cert.). Should things like that be added to the resume?

3. I know for physics majors, grad schools like to see linear algebra, which is one of the courses I plan to take on edX soon. Would that be acceptable as having learned it, or should I have the course on my college transcript?

Anyway, I know regardless of what grad schools think of it, the OCW is a great addition to my education. It's always great seeing courses from another perspective where there are different focuses. The MIT OCW is also far more comprehensive than my college's courses. I'm just wondering what would be the best way to display that additional education to grad schools?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) No. Colleges in general don't consider them valid.
2) No. Courses that you took at your university are all you need for your transcript.
3) Have it on your transcript (actually take it at your university). Like #1 said, colleges don't consider online courses very reliable.

OCW is a great supplement to your education, don't let it replace it. While it's great in concept, it is not the same as actually taking a course on the material.

Well at this point since I'm going to a state college, OCW can't do anything but help, lol. I mean some of my professors are great, but it's still hard to compete with the MIT courses. Besides, since I have no problems getting all the material down from my courses, I figure I might as well learn as much extra as possible. But I hear what you are saying as far as not letting it replace it, that's why I am using it to complement it.

I was just hoping for some way to express my self-motivation and additional education on my resume somehow for grad schools. Though my BS will be through a university, I want to make sure they are aware that I optimized my education as much as possible even while in a state college.

I also hear what you are saying about linear algebra. I was a bit concerned about not having it on my resume myself. The reason I was hoping to just do the edX course though is I figured it would open those credit hours for other courses I could take.

Related to Questions about edX (opencourseware) on college resume?

1. How can I incorporate edX courses into my college resume?

You can list edX courses under the "Education" section of your college resume, just like you would list any other courses you have taken. Be sure to include the name of the course, the institution offering the course (edX), and the completion date.

2. Are edX courses recognized by colleges and universities?

While edX courses are not typically accepted for credit at colleges and universities, they can still be a valuable addition to your resume. These courses can demonstrate your interest and dedication to learning and gaining new skills.

3. How do I showcase my completion of an edX course on my resume?

The best way to showcase your completion of an edX course is to include the certificate of completion on your resume. You can also mention any specific skills or knowledge you gained from the course in your resume's skills or experience section.

4. Can I list multiple edX courses on my college resume?

Yes, you can list multiple edX courses on your college resume. However, it is important to only include courses that are relevant to your desired field of study or career. Listing too many courses may make your resume appear cluttered.

5. Are there any specific edX courses that are more beneficial for a college resume?

The most beneficial edX courses for a college resume will vary depending on your field of study and career goals. It is recommended to choose courses that align with your interests and can demonstrate relevant skills and knowledge to potential employers or admissions committees.