Question regarding letters of recommendation

In summary, it is generally more beneficial to ask for a letter of recommendation when you are applying for grad school, rather than immediately after a course finishes. This allows the professor to write a more specific and detailed letter. It is also important to have a strong, substantive letter of recommendation rather than one that simply states you did well in the class. It is acceptable to approach a professor after a class and ask for a letter in the future, but it is recommended to mention this at the end of the term and not right after the course finishes. If you have already obtained two strong letters of recommendation from professors you have done research with, it may not be necessary to have a third from a professor you have only taken a class with.
sEsposito
I was just wondering if one should ask a professor for a letter of recommendation right after the course finishes or when you're ready to apply to grad schools... The only LOR that I've gotten was after a course that I took just before I transferred to a different school, so this example is not indicative of the current situation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Letters of recommendation containing little more than "X was in my class and did really well" are not worth including in an application. Do you have any other connection to the professor?

It's generally more desirable for a letter of reference to be specific and so it would make more sense to ask for one when you're applying for grad school (yet well ahead of the deadline). There's no reason that you couldn't approach a professor after a class, let him or her know that you're going to be applying for graduate school in the coming year and ask if he or she would be willing to write a reference letter for you when the time comes.

Andy Resnick said:
Letters of recommendation containing little more than "X was in my class and did really well" are not worth including in an application.

how much does it matter if you just need a professor like that for your 3rd LOR, because your first two came from professors you did research with?

creepypasta13 said:
how much does it matter if you just need a professor like that for your 3rd LOR, because your first two came from professors you did research with?

I guess that depends if your competitors have a 3rd LOR with something substantive.

Thanks, everyone. I think it's best if I do what Choppy suggests, and at the end of the term mention that I'll be hoping to get a LOR when the time comes.

Also, this question is in regard to a professor that is teaching a class I'm in. I've worked with two other professors outside of coursework, and to be honest I plan on working with some more before grad school. I was just wondering for a kind of just in case LOR.

Related to Question regarding letters of recommendation

What is the purpose of a letter of recommendation?

A letter of recommendation is a document written by someone who knows you well and can speak to your skills, experience, and character. It is typically used to support your application for a job, school, or program.

Who should I ask for a letter of recommendation?

You should ask someone who knows you well, preferably a former boss, teacher, or mentor. They should be able to speak to your work ethic, abilities, and personal qualities. It is important to choose someone who can provide a strong and positive recommendation.

How should I request a letter of recommendation?

You can request a letter of recommendation either in person or via email. When making the request, be sure to provide information on why you are asking for the recommendation, the deadline for submission, and any necessary details or forms. It is also helpful to provide your resume and a brief overview of your accomplishments or goals.

How far in advance should I request a letter of recommendation?

You should request a letter of recommendation at least 2-3 weeks before the deadline. This will give the person enough time to write a strong and thoughtful letter. It is also important to consider the person's schedule and give them enough time to write the letter.

What should I do if I need multiple letters of recommendation?

If you need multiple letters of recommendation, it is important to ask different people who can speak to different aspects of your skills and experience. You can also provide each person with specific information or talking points to include in their letter to ensure a well-rounded and comprehensive recommendation. Be sure to also give enough time for each person to write their letter.