Question for ECE majors at UIUC

• Programs
  • Thread starter Mathgician
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ece Uiuc
In summary, as an ECE major at UIUC, students can expect to learn about the design and analysis of electronic systems, as well as the principles of computer hardware and software. They will also have opportunities to participate in research projects and gain hands-on experience through various labs and projects. With a strong focus on problem-solving and critical thinking skills, ECE majors at UIUC are well-equipped for careers in a variety of industries, including telecommunications, computer systems, and renewable energy.
Mathgician
I am currently attending a community college, and I have taken most if not all of my math courses that includes, Calc I-III, DE. Also I am currently taking electricity and magnitism, which is physics II here at our college, and have taken physics I(mechanics) previously. My question is, is linear algebra and physics III(thermodynamics and quantum physics) required at UIUC for Electrical Engineering majors? Also, are you guys required to take any more chem classes beyond chem 102/103? Because I had most of these classes done and was ready to transfer by fall, but I was stupid enough to think that I need all of these classes done before I start the application process. :frown: Now, because the deadline is up for the fall semester, I have to apply for spring. You guys have any suggestion as to what classes I should take beyond what I have taken so far so that I can spend the next semester getting more classes out of the way so I can be at a good pace to finish my degree in four years?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
While I cannot speak directly about ECE at UIUC, I highly recommend that any electrical engineering (EE) major take linear algebra, even if it isn't required for the degree. Other math courses like differential equations (in particular systems of linear differential equations) will make more sense with some linear algebra background, and it will aid understanding of some EE courses like well (for example, modern signal processing techniques like wavelets have their mathmatical foundations in linear algebra). Also, I'm pretty sure that every ABET-accredited program in EE must include a basic physics course on quantum theory. Finally, I'm pretty sure that one year of chemistry is the norm for EE, but sometimes the second-semester of general chemistry is replaced by an introductory course in materials science.

AFAIK, I'm the only EE major at UIUC on this board, so I may as well answer your questions. Lucky for you, I pulled out my requirements sheet yesterday in order to help someone else, and still had it sitting out on my desk.

Linear algebra: Not required for EEs, but I'd also recommend it
Basic thermal and quantum classes: Required (course numbers at UIUC are Physics 213 and 214, each are half a semester)
Chemistry: Not required beyond 102/103

Honestly, I'm not sure what courses community colleges offer beyond the ones that you've already taken, that also will be helpful to your degree. You can definitely knock out some General Education requirements, assuming you haven't done so already. A first course in calculus-based statistics is also required for the degree: the courses at UIUC that you can take to fulfill this requirement are ECE 413, IE 300, or Stat 400/Math 463. Also, though a second course in chemistry isn't explicitly required, if you do take one (e.g., something like Chem 104/105), it will fulfill the basic science technical elective requirement. There's also the matter of the required basic writing course, Rhet 105, which you might try and get credit for.

If you want more information, I'd suggest that you visit the http://www.ece.uiuc.edu/current/ugrad/advising.html.

Manchot, thanks you very much!:-p Also, do you think it is too late to get a summer internships at this moment? I am just finishing up my sophomore semester. Do you guys think any companies would consider me as an intern at this moment? Or do you guys think I am rushing it a bit, should I start my internship junior year summer? Is there a lot of opportunities to get landed a good internship when I am at UIUC? I just want to get some experience and get a taste of what ECE fields are like. Thanks people. I love this board.:biggrin:

just check out the engineering site at uiuc.edu

It's a good idea to get your gen eds out of the way at community college...things like history, ethnic studies, literature, foreign language if you need to, etc.

I was actually at UIUC last year, and switched to a community college in order to save money and finish the gen eds. I think I'm learning more than I was last year, as I know my professors personally, and don't have any classes larger than maybe 20 people...last year I had two large lower-level classes at UIUC with 700+ in a lecture. All of my classes consisted of a TA flipping through powerpoint slides for an hour. Class is much more interesting at the community college, and once I switch back to either UIUC or somewhere else, I should be in upper level classes with a smaller size and more interesting material.

Also, I had another question guys:smile: I was wondering if I had a 4.0 gpa when I transfer to UIUC, what is the maximum amount of scolarship I can attain if scolarships are granted for transfer students with high gpa? Also, for your info, I am from Illinois.

Last edited:
It's probably a little late to get an internship. Plus, I'm not sure that any companies would hire you without any ECE classes under your belt. As for scholarships, I have no idea. I'm not from Illinois, so I don't know what type of scholarships are available to those who are.

Related to Question for ECE majors at UIUC

What is the ECE major at UIUC?

The ECE (Electrical and Computer Engineering) major at UIUC is a highly ranked program that focuses on the design, analysis, and application of electrical systems and computer technologies.

What are the requirements to major in ECE at UIUC?

To major in ECE at UIUC, students must have completed specific prerequisite courses in math, science, and engineering, as well as maintain a certain GPA in these courses. They may also need to complete an application process and pass a qualifying exam.

What career opportunities are available for ECE majors at UIUC?

ECE majors at UIUC have a wide range of career opportunities, including jobs in industries such as telecommunications, computer hardware and software, power and energy, and robotics. Graduates also have the option to pursue further education in graduate programs or research positions.

Can ECE majors at UIUC specialize in a specific area?

Yes, ECE majors at UIUC have the option to specialize in a specific area of study, such as digital signal processing, computer engineering, power systems and renewable energy, or biomedical imaging and signal processing. Students can also choose from a variety of elective courses to further tailor their education.

What resources are available for ECE majors at UIUC?

UIUC offers a variety of resources for ECE majors, including state-of-the-art labs, research opportunities, and access to industry partnerships. The department also has a dedicated career services center to help students with job placements and internships.