Question about graduate school.

In summary, if you have a high GPA from a normal school, you have a chance of getting into a good graduate school. However, it is not guaranteed and you need to show that you will be a good researcher.
YYaaSSeeRR
hi
what's the strategy of graduate schools when they accept or deny applicants?
if I finish my bachelor degree with a strong GPA like 3.6 and above but from a normal school like Cleveland State university while this school is accredited for sure ,will I have a chance when applying to schools like UIUC,purdue,UT and A&M for the graduate level?
I mean when having a high GPA ,will that increase your chance getting into schools like the above ?? wherever you come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I did my undergrad at a school in Canada that you've probably never heard of, and I was accepted to UIUC. It's no guarantee that you will get in, but it's not out of the question. It helps if you have research experience and good letters of recommendation.

High GPA is always good.

You can get into good schools after coming from a average or low school. I came from a tiny department at a public school that's mostly unheard of and i was able to get into MIT, Harvard, Berkeley, UIUC, and U Mich.

wotanub said:
High GPA is always good.

You can get into good schools after coming from a average or low school. I came from a tiny department at a public school that's mostly unheard of and i was able to get into MIT, Harvard, Berkeley, UIUC, and U Mich.

I would appreciate it if you tell me what school you came from,what was your GPA and how did you get into those schools?

YYaaSSeeRR said:
I would appreciate it if you tell me what school you came from,what was your GPA and how did you get into those schools?
I'm from a school in Louisiana, and it isn't LSU. No PhD program in physics. That can tell you enough.

3.99, but I think GPA only matters to a certain point. A low GPA will keep you out, but a high GPA won't get you in. Same for GRE scores.

How? Based on my application, some people wanted me and others didn't (rejected from Caltech, Stanford, and Yale). My GPA was high, but my PGRE was only okay. Recommendation letters, research experience, and networking is more important than GPA. Grad programs admit people, not numbers. I did several REUs and got letters from the people I worked for and I suppose they thought highly of my work. I didn't publish any papers, but I always did my best, got to lab early, was independent but asked questions when I needed to, etc (you know, the advice your dad is always giving you about working a job). Think of your application as proof that you will be a good researcher in physics. They're taking a chance by admitting you an paying you, so convince them that you're a good investment and will be an asset.

Related to Question about graduate school.

1. What is the purpose of attending graduate school?

Graduate school is a higher education program that allows students to further their studies in a specific field or subject, and gain advanced knowledge and skills in their chosen area. It is typically pursued after completing a bachelor's degree and can lead to career advancement or research opportunities.

2. How do I choose a graduate program?

When choosing a graduate program, it is important to consider your career goals, research interests, and academic strengths. You should also research the reputation and resources of the program, as well as the faculty and their areas of expertise. It can also be helpful to speak with current students or alumni to gain insights into the program.

3. What are the admissions requirements for graduate school?

The admissions requirements for graduate school vary depending on the program and institution. Generally, applicants are required to have a bachelor's degree, a competitive GPA, and strong letters of recommendation. Many programs also require standardized test scores, such as the GRE or GMAT. Some programs may also require a personal statement or writing sample.

4. How long does it take to complete a graduate program?

The length of a graduate program can vary depending on the field of study and the type of degree being pursued. On average, a master's degree can take 1-2 years to complete, while a doctoral degree can take 4-7 years. However, this can also depend on the student's course load and the pace at which they complete their coursework and research requirements.

5. How can I fund my graduate education?

Graduate education can be expensive, but there are several options for funding. Many universities offer assistantships or fellowships, which provide financial support in exchange for research or teaching assistance. Scholarships, grants, and loans are also available. It is important to research and apply for financial aid opportunities early in the application process.