Quantum Physics: Heinsburg Uncertainty

In summary: So the answer, as long as I didn't mess up is:In summary, the minimum duration of the ultrashort pulse with a wavelength of 540nm and 1.0% uncertainty in energy is 2.86 x 10^-14 seconds.
200physics

Homework Statement

A laser produces light of wavelength 540 nm in an ultrashort pulse. What is the minimum duration of the pulse if the minimum uncertainty in the energy of the photons is 1.0%?

Homework Equations

ΔEΔt ≥ hbar / 2

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I tried a couple ways here:

1. Using Vx = hbar / 2*Pi*elemental charge*0.010%*d giving me 11.7 m/s but soon realized that seemed wrong.
2. Since the uncertainty in energy is 1.0%, i tried substituting it in as ΔE but my end result was wrong.

To be honest, I may be overthinking this one but I am kinda stumped as to where to go from here. I greatly appreciate your time!

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is Heinsburg a town in Germany?

Well first you convert wavelength to energy using

[itex]E=h\dfrac{c}{\lambda}[/itex]

Then you know what the precise energy of the pulse is supposed to be. But the energy is known to deviate by at least 1% from this value, so you calculate this deviaton by taking 1% of what you get from the energy-wavelength relation.

That 1% is your uncertainty in energy, [itex]\Delta E[/itex].

What's left then is just plug in [itex]\Delta E[/itex] to Heisenberg's uncertainty and calculate [itex]\Delta t[/itex].

So going through the process,

E = (6.626*10^-34) * (3.0 x 10^8 / 5.40 x 10^-7) = 3.68 * 10^-19

Then taking 1% of it = 3.68 x 10^-21

Then plugging it into Δt = h / 2*Pi*3.68 x 10^-21 = 2.86 x 10^-14

I tried this and it was marked wrong, could my units be off or am I again using the wrong formula?

Thanks again everyone =D

EDIT: Yeah I mispelled the title by quite a bit

Last edited:
I am never sure about what constant should be used in Heisenberg's uncertainty. Anyways, in your relevant equations part, you use hbar/2 but in your solution h/2pi = hbar, so your missing a "1/2".

Another thing is that the result of these calculations is Δt, uncertainty in time (duration).What you are being asked for, is the minimum duration of the pulse.

Pulse duration could be given by [itex]\tau\pm\Delta t[/itex] and in this case you're asked for [itex]\tau-\Delta t[/itex].

Related to Quantum Physics: Heinsburg Uncertainty

1. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental concept in quantum physics that states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This is due to the inherent wave-particle duality of quantum objects.

2. How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle relate to quantum mechanics?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level. It is one of the key principles that helps us understand the fundamentally probabilistic nature of the quantum world.

3. Can the Heisenberg uncertainty principle be observed in everyday life?

No, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is only observed at the microscopic level, where quantum effects dominate. In our everyday lives, the effects of the principle are too small to be noticed. However, it has been experimentally confirmed through various experiments and observations in the field of quantum physics.

4. How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle affect our understanding of the universe?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, as it is one of the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy at the quantum level. Without it, our current understanding of the universe would not be possible, and many phenomena, such as quantum tunneling and superposition, would not make sense.

5. Is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle a limitation of our knowledge?

Yes, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is often seen as a limitation of our knowledge, as it prevents us from knowing certain properties of a particle with absolute certainty. However, it is also a fundamental aspect of the quantum world, and without it, many of the phenomena we observe would not be possible. Scientists continue to study and explore ways to better understand and potentially overcome this limitation.