Heisenberg momentum uncertainty

In summary, the electron has an energy of 2,160 eV and is in the n=10 state. The momentum uncertainty is 0.132 nm and the position uncertainty is 0.
leehufford

Homework Statement

An electron is trapped in a one-dimensional well of width 0.132 nm. The electron is in the n = 10 state.
a) What is the energy of the electron?
b) What is the uncertainty in the momentum?
c) What is the uncertainty in the position?

Homework Equations

En = h2n2/8mL2
Delta(x)Delta(p) > hbar/2

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers to this problem are in the back of our book, I got 2,160 eV for A, which was correct.
The book gave us a hint for part B: use Delta(x)Delta(p) > hbar/2, but here I have one equation with two unknowns. (I tried using 0.132 nm as delta(x) but that didn't give the right answer. Also, why would they ask for delta(x) in part C if it was given... so

I tried finding the momentum using

p = (1/c)sqrt(E2-(mc2)2). And my answer for momentum is the same as the book's answer for the uncertainty in momentum. I guess I can't see how to relate delta(p) to p. Also, why doesn't the length that the electron is trapped in count for delta(x)? Thanks for reading,

Lee

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!
Uncertainity (S.D.) in momentum and position can be found from the square root of the expectation value of the (p - pbar)^2 and (x-xbar)^2, respectively. Note that pbar is zero and xbar is a/2 in 1 dimensional infinite square well.
Yes, it happens that the S.D. of momentum is equal to momentum in this case. Can you guess the reason behind?

I'm not 100% clear on what you mean.. I've never actually taken a statistics class yet. The formula my book uses is

delta p = sqrt((p2)avg - (pav)2). If the average momentum is zero, and the formula reduces to:

sqrt(p2)avg, would I just use the momentum I found with relativistic dynamics...and that's why the standard deviation is the same as the momentum value? What does that mean physically? Thanks for the reply.

Lee

Just noticed I got moved, I didn't think homework problems from a modern physics class where considered introductory physics, but I guess I will post all of my questions here from now on. Sorry about that.

Never mind the moving to introductory. Perhaps they'll move it back once this is indeed about relativistic QM (it's not, I should think)..

We're more used to writing ##p=i\hbar {\partial \over \partial x}## in simple QM, where E=p2/(2m) if V=0. Same difference. But <p> = 0 for sure.

##\Delta p\Delta x \ge \hbar/2## is not an equation but something else (an inequality). Why they provide it as a hint is a mystery to me (at n=10 it's a lot more than ##\hbar/2##).

If your potential well is from 0 to L, I expect <x> to come out L/2 too... Look up the wave function and check. Then do <x2>. You will find that ##\Delta x \propto L##, so L does count!

Related to Heisenberg momentum uncertainty

1. What is Heisenberg momentum uncertainty?

Heisenberg momentum uncertainty is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is due to the wave-particle duality of quantum objects.

2. Who discovered the Heisenberg momentum uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg momentum uncertainty principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927 as part of his uncertainty principle, which also includes the uncertainty in position and time.

3. How does the Heisenberg momentum uncertainty principle affect our understanding of the physical world?

The Heisenberg momentum uncertainty principle challenges the classical, deterministic view of the physical world and shows that there is inherent uncertainty in the behavior of subatomic particles. This has major implications for fields such as quantum mechanics and quantum computing.

4. Can the Heisenberg momentum uncertainty principle be overcome?

No, the Heisenberg momentum uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and cannot be overcome. However, it is possible to reduce the uncertainty in one property (such as momentum) by increasing the uncertainty in the other property (such as position).

5. How is the Heisenberg momentum uncertainty principle related to the uncertainty principle in general?

The Heisenberg momentum uncertainty principle is a specific application of the uncertainty principle, which states that there is a limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties can be known simultaneously. The Heisenberg momentum uncertainty principle specifically applies to the properties of momentum and position.