Quantum Mechanics: Where to Begin?

You have a good background and are now looking for a book recommendation that is not too expensive. There are some free resources available, such as a free QM book with accompanying video lectures. You could also consider getting the Feynman Lectures Vol. III printed and bound at a print shop for around $30.
pierce15
Hello all,

As you can probably tell from the title of this thread, I'm interested in learning about quantum mechanics (hopefully this thread will be ok here instead of in the learning materials section). I currently know a fair amount about the qualitative features and some of the important experiments of the theory, and I think I'm ready to get into the math behind everything. I have experience in linear algebra, multivariable, and complex analysis. Also, I'm looking for a book, not a textbook, and I'm hoping to spend less than $30 (used). Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks

Related to Quantum Mechanics: Where to Begin?

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains the fundamental principles of how particles interact with each other and with energy.

2. Why are books on Quantum Mechanics important?

Books on Quantum Mechanics are important because they provide a comprehensive understanding of the theories and concepts behind this complex subject. They also offer practical applications of these theories, which are crucial for advancements in technology and science.

3. What are some common misconceptions about Quantum Mechanics?

One common misconception is that Quantum Mechanics only applies to the microscopic world. In reality, its principles also play a role in the behavior of larger objects. Another misconception is that Quantum Mechanics is completely unpredictable, when in fact it follows specific probabilistic laws.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading books on Quantum Mechanics?

While a basic understanding of physics and mathematics is helpful, there are many books on Quantum Mechanics that are written for a general audience. With dedication and patience, anyone can grasp the fundamentals and principles of this subject.

5. What are some real-world applications of Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics has led to advancements in various fields such as computing, cryptography, and energy production. It has also allowed for the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. Additionally, Quantum Mechanics plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and its fundamental laws.