Quantum mechanics and mathematical physics textbooks

In summary: This book looks really interesting! I haven't read it yet, but it looks like it would be a good choice.
gluon
Hello!can someone propose a good textbook for quantum mechanics and mathematical physics(including green function)?I would like to buy those books so i want something which is one of the best to have in your libraby!

Physics news on Phys.org
For a book in mathematical physics i recommend Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics - Byron, Fuller, it's a Dover book, so it's cheap!:), and for QM, depends on your level in the subject...

Likes gluon
a graduate level in QM.can you proposed another for Mathematical physics because i have Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics - Byron, Fuller and its great btw!

If you mean with "Mathematical Physics" some math-for-physicists book, I'd recommend

S. Hassani, Mathematical Physics, Springer

Anyway, before you buy any textbook, I'd recommend to look at it before, e.g., borrowing it from a library. Usually textbooks are quite expensive, and not every recommendation may be the right one for you, and then it's a waste of money!

Likes gluon
vanhees71 said:
If you mean with "Mathematical Physics" some math-for-physicists book, I'd recommend

S. Hassani, Mathematical Physics, Springer

Good book, but this really introduces the mathematics for physicists. Maybe this is what you're looking for. Or maybe you want a more indepth treatment of the math. In that case, you'll need to do math books.

The "mathematical foundation of quantum mechanics" class at my school uses "Quantum Mechanics for Mathematicians" by Leon A. Takhtajan. You might want to check it out.

This is indeed a bit of confusion. I'd call Hassani's book "Mathematical methods for physicists", while a book with the title "Mathematical Physics" I'd expect to be more of the kind of the famous four-volume book by Thirring or Arnold's "Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics" (which by the way is also just marvelous, but restricted to classical mechanics as the title clearly states).

Related to Quantum mechanics and mathematical physics textbooks

1. What is quantum mechanics and mathematical physics?

Quantum mechanics and mathematical physics are branches of physics that deal with the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales, such as atoms and subatomic particles. These fields use mathematical models and equations to describe the behavior and interactions of particles at a quantum level.

2. Why are quantum mechanics and mathematical physics important?

Quantum mechanics and mathematical physics are crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales. They have applications in a wide range of fields, including physics, chemistry, engineering, and technology.

3. What are some common topics covered in quantum mechanics and mathematical physics textbooks?

Some common topics covered in these textbooks include wave-particle duality, quantum states and operators, uncertainty principle, quantum entanglement, quantum field theory, and mathematical methods such as linear algebra, complex analysis, and differential equations.

4. What are some recommended textbooks for learning quantum mechanics and mathematical physics?

Some popular textbooks for learning these subjects include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: Principles and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili, and "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas.

5. Is a strong background in mathematics necessary for studying quantum mechanics and mathematical physics?

Yes, a strong understanding of mathematics, particularly calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, is essential for studying quantum mechanics and mathematical physics. These fields heavily rely on mathematical concepts and equations to describe and analyze quantum phenomena and systems.