Quantum electronics/communication project ideas

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's pursuit of an undergraduate degree in electronics and communication engineering and their intention to apply for grad school in physics. They express interest in working on projects that combine physics and electronics/communication, particularly in the field of quantum physics. They also mention their preference for theoretical work over lab work and ask for ideas, to which the other person suggests various options such as measuring Planck's constant, exploring applications of polarization, and researching meta-materials and carbon allotropes. The conversation also touches on analog filters and their similarities to quantum mechanics, with the speaker providing a detailed explanation of this analogy.
metalrose
I am pursuing an undergraduate degree in electronics and communication engineering.
I intend to apply for grad school in physics after my undergrad.

We are starting off with minor projects From next semester, and i would like to work on something that has a strong overlap between physics and electronics/communication.

Quantum physics seems to have a huge overlap with electronics through semiconductor physics.

But i can't figure out the specific problems i could work on.

Im looking for some ideas which are primarily theoretical in nature because i am not really interested in lab work. Simulation would be fine.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
One simple (well, really too simple) project is measuring Planck's constant from the slope of the line of LED voltages plotted vs. wavelengths - that's more a high-school lab than a grad school deal, though. A more theoretical investigation might be to explore some aspect of applications of polarization - well trodden ground, but very instructive. If you want something harder and more current, meta-materials, especially negative refractive index arrays might be a good area. Anything to do with the newer carbon allotropes (bucky-stuff, graphene) is fertile, too. More math/communication oriented is compressed sensing, perhaps you can tie in some quantum information theory.

I found some interesting analogies between analog filters and quantum mechanics, too. Here's a writeup:
Take a simple variable -frequency, -bandwidth (1/Q), and -gain
bandpass filter [for instance the one from from figure 5.19 on page
278 of Horowitz and Hill's "The Art of Electronics" (2nd. ed.). (Four
op-amps plus some passive components).] One could get a precise view
of the frequency envelope by sweeping through the frequencies one tone
at a time, but this is slow and does not allow seeing the changes in
the envelope.

If a random "white noise" signal containing all frequency components
is used as an input, then the output spectrum reveals the
instantaneous envelope of the filter, which at high-Q resembles a
Dirac delta function, that is, a single spectral line, but at moderate
bandwidth has the form of a gaussian wavelet or sinc^2 function. As
the bandwidth increases, the ripples to either side of the passband
peak become larger and extend farther from the passband peak until the
filter envelope has the form of a comb filter, a sinusoidal shape
which seems to me like a cos^2 function. If the output of the filter
is shown simultaneously in time and frequency domain displays, when
the spectrum has a single line, the oscilloscope shows a sinusoid. The
time domain at low bandwidth (high Q) thus resembles the frequency
domain at high bandwidth (low Q), illustrating the Heisenberg
uncertainty principle (in its time-energy form). However, when the
bandwidth is high and the spectrum is sinusoidal, the oscilloscope
shows noise - the equivalent of quantum uncertainty.

Related to Quantum electronics/communication project ideas

1. What is quantum electronics/communication?

Quantum electronics/communication is a branch of science that focuses on the use of quantum mechanics principles to manipulate and transmit information. It involves the study and application of quantum phenomena in electronic devices and communication systems.

2. What are some potential project ideas in quantum electronics/communication?

Some potential project ideas in quantum electronics/communication include developing quantum computers, quantum encryption methods, quantum sensors, quantum teleportation, and quantum communication networks.

3. What makes quantum electronics/communication different from traditional electronics/communication?

Traditional electronics/communication relies on classical physics principles, while quantum electronics/communication utilizes the principles of quantum mechanics. This allows for the manipulation and transmission of information at the quantum level, which can lead to faster and more secure communication and computing.

4. What are the current challenges in quantum electronics/communication?

Some of the current challenges in quantum electronics/communication include overcoming technical limitations in quantum computing, developing efficient quantum communication protocols, and finding ways to integrate quantum devices with existing technology.

5. How can quantum electronics/communication impact our daily lives?

Quantum electronics/communication has the potential to greatly impact our daily lives by enabling faster and more secure communication, improving computing power, and enhancing technologies such as medical imaging and navigation systems. It may also lead to advancements in fields such as quantum biology and quantum metrology.