Pursuing Mathematics at the post graduate level from a non maths background

In summary, the conversation revolves around the individual's desire to pursue a mathematics degree at the postgraduate level, despite not having the proper credentials or background. The options discussed include convincing a graduate school to take them on and catching up on the necessary material, or learning it independently. The potential difficulties and challenges of each approach are also mentioned.
Excoriate
Hi everyone,

I have recently been thinking about pursuing a mathematics degree at the Postgraduate level but unfortunately I feel I lack both the credentials and proper training/background and I was seeking some advice on how I might acquire it.

My undergraduate degree is in Computer Science (from a not so good institution where I feel the 3.7+ GPA is meaningless) and recently I have been pursuing a part time MSc. degree in bioinformatics which is nearing completion however it really is not to my liking.

Is it possible to transition out of this area into mathematics in some manner? I have considered taking perhaps a year to prepare the GRE subject test in mathematics but it does not seem representative of problem solving that is done as an undergraduate in preparation (or not) for graduate education.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you're correct in recognizing that you don't have adequate preparation. You have essentially two choices - one is to convince a graduate school to take you on now, and then let you spend the first year or two catching up. The other is to learn the material before you apply.

The advantage of the first path is that usually they will waive your tuition and possibly pay you a stipend. The disadvantage is that there are few such positions, you will have to convince the school to take you (and by extension, not take someone else) and this probably means you would be aiming at a less selective program. The advantage of the second path is that it opens up more options, but the price is that it comes out of your pocket.

Good luck!

Well the issue with the second approach is- how do you convince ppl. you do know it if you do the preparations yourself? It seems also another issue with this would be getting recommendations. No one could attest to what or what you do not know or what your current skill level is. I think I will forever regret dropping out of my school of choice when I first graduated from HS (University of Chicago). Is it at all possible to convince some institution to take you on as a upper division undergraduate student or some such even if you have already completed two degrees?

Last edited:
In many cases, you cannot get another degree - UC, for example, does not allow this. But this does not preclude you from taking the same courses as a graduate-school bound math major would.

Vanadium 50 said:
In many cases, you cannot get another degree - UC, for example, does not allow this. But this does not preclude you from taking the same courses as a graduate-school bound math major would.

well you could always just not report that you have another degree, clep out of all the classes that you can ( which is a lot ), and worm your way out of the rest of the liberal arts requirements.

Well that might be quite difficult at this point. I am quite a bit older now and I don't think I was in good academic standing when I left after as one of my instructors put it at the time deliberately "sabotaging my academic career". So I highly doubt that door is stlil open.

I am curious if I would be essentially forced to do the work on my own, somehow convince some school to accept me at the masters level and work the problem from there.

Ice, I wouldn't suggest that someone hoping for a career as a scholar will build it on a foundation of falsehood.

Excoriate, I think it will be much more difficult to do this on your own than through a university. There are reasons there are universities, and not just libraries.

Related to Pursuing Mathematics at the post graduate level from a non maths background

What is the importance of having a strong foundation in mathematics before pursuing it at the post graduate level?

A strong foundation in mathematics is crucial for success at the post graduate level as it provides the necessary background knowledge and skills to understand complex mathematical concepts and theories. Without a strong foundation, it may be difficult to keep up with the rigorous coursework and research required at the post graduate level.

What steps can I take to bridge the gap in my mathematical knowledge before starting a post graduate program in mathematics?

There are several steps you can take to bridge the gap in your mathematical knowledge, such as taking undergraduate level courses in mathematics, self-studying with textbooks or online resources, or seeking help from a tutor or mentor. It is important to identify your weaknesses and work on them systematically to strengthen your foundation.

Can I pursue a post graduate degree in mathematics if my undergraduate degree is in a non-mathematical field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a post graduate degree in mathematics even if your undergraduate degree is in a non-mathematical field. However, you may need to take additional courses or demonstrate proficiency in certain areas to meet the prerequisites for the program. It is important to research the specific requirements of the program you are interested in.

What skills do I need to have to be successful in a post graduate program in mathematics?

To be successful in a post graduate program in mathematics, you will need to have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work independently and collaboratively. Strong analytical skills and a passion for learning are also essential.

What career opportunities are available for someone with a post graduate degree in mathematics from a non-math background?

A post graduate degree in mathematics can lead to various career opportunities in fields such as data science, finance, computer science, and research. Employers value the analytical and problem-solving skills gained from a mathematics degree, making it a versatile and valuable qualification for a range of industries.