Pumping a Cylindrical Storage Tank (different variables)

In summary, the problem involves a cylindrical storage tank lying horizontally on the ground with dimensions of 8 feet in diameter and 20 feet in length. The tank is filled with olive oil with a weight density of 57 lb/ft^3. The task is to calculate the work required to pump the oil to a level of 6 feet above the top of the tank. After solving the problem using the given equations and attempting to find a solution, further clarification was needed regarding the orientation of the tank. It was determined that the tank is lying on its side, with 20 feet being the length of the curved surface. With this understanding, the final solution was calculated to be 255360 pi - 97280 ft-lbs or
dudicuff

Homework Statement

A cylindrical storage tank 8 feet in diameter and 20 feet long is lying horizontally on the ground. The tank is full of olive oil whose weight density is 57 lb/ft^3. How much work does it take to pump the olive oil to a level of 6 feet above the top of the tank?

Almost identical to one posted a while ago.

Homework Equations

V = 20 * 2x

[tex]\int[/tex] [from -4 to 4] 20 * 2 * 57 * (14 - y) * ([tex]\sqrt{}16 - y^2[/tex]) dy

The Attempt at a Solution

Cranked it out and got 255360 pi -97280 ft - lbs
or 704957 ft - lbs

I think this is right, but an affirmative by a few more people would be a great help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does "lying horizontally" mean that the cylindrical tank is lying on its curved surface?

No, actually it means it is lying on the side that is 20ft. I think I got the answer, though. I needed to do my distance from (10 - y) because the origin is in the middle.

Ok this is confusing. Isn't the 20ft a measurement of the height of the tank? And if it is lying down on that side, wouldn't it be lying on the curved surface? Another (quite unlikely) possibility would be that it is somehow balanced on its curved edge.

Defennder said:
Does "lying horizontally" mean that the cylindrical tank is lying on its curved surface?

dudicuff said:
No, actually it means it is lying on the side that is 20ft. I think I got the answer, though. I needed to do my distance from (10 - y) because the origin is in the middle.
The "side that is 20 ft" is the curved side! You meant "yes".

Defennder said:
Ok this is confusing. Isn't the 20ft a measurement of the height of the tank? And if it is lying down on that side, wouldn't it be lying on the curved surface? Another (quite unlikely) possibility would be that it is somehow balanced on its curved edge.
Why is that "quite unlikely"? That's the way small fuel tanks are normally positioned.

Here's a picture to clarify:

_
l`````````l.l
6ft```````l.l`<- Spout for pump.
l`````````l.l
_
l````````` ___``_______________________________
l````````/...\ ----------------------------------\
l```````/....\----------------------------------\
l``````/....\---------------------------------\
8 ft```l......l---------------------------------l
l``````\...../---------------------------------/
l```````\.../---------------------------------/
l````````\...___.../_____________________________/
l
_```````````````l------------- 20 ft ---------------l

Lying horizontally on the side that is 20 ft.

A "layer" of water at a given height is a rectangle. The length of that rectangle is 20 ft. The width depends upon the height.

I didn't do the problem but by the setup it seems correct.

Related to Pumping a Cylindrical Storage Tank (different variables)

1. What is the purpose of pumping a cylindrical storage tank?

The purpose of pumping a cylindrical storage tank is to transfer a liquid or gas from one location to another. This could be for storage, transportation, or processing purposes.

2. How do variables such as tank size and liquid density affect the pumping process?

Tank size and liquid density can affect the pumping process in several ways. A larger tank may require a more powerful pump to transfer the liquid or gas, while a smaller tank may require a smaller pump. The density of the liquid being pumped can also impact the flow rate and pressure required for successful pumping.

3. What are some common challenges when pumping a cylindrical storage tank?

Some common challenges when pumping a cylindrical storage tank include maintaining a consistent flow rate, avoiding airlocks or blockages in the pump, and ensuring the tank is properly sealed to prevent leaks or spills.

4. What factors should be considered when selecting a pump for a cylindrical storage tank?

When selecting a pump for a cylindrical storage tank, factors such as the type of liquid or gas being pumped, the tank size and shape, required flow rate and pressure, and any specific industry regulations or standards should be taken into consideration.

5. How can the efficiency of pumping a cylindrical storage tank be improved?

Efficiency of pumping a cylindrical storage tank can be improved by selecting a pump that is properly sized for the tank and liquid being pumped, regularly maintaining and monitoring the pump and tank, and utilizing advanced technology such as automation or energy-saving features.