What is the work done in emptying a half-full cylindrical tank through a pipe?

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a problem involving a storage tank filled with olive oil. The tank is a right circular cylinder with a length of 20ft and a diameter of 8ft, and has an outlet 6ft above the top of the tank. The task is to find the work done in emptying the tank through the outlet. Different methods of solving the problem are discussed, including using the concept of center of mass and symmetry to simplify the integration process. There is also a question about the use of g in the calculations. The conversation ends with a question about a similar problem with a completely full tank of oil.
kuahji
A storage tank is a right circular cylinder 20ft long and 8 ft in diameter with its axis horizontal. If the tank is half full of olive oil weighing 57 lb/ft^3, find the work done in emptying it through a pipe that runs from the bottom of the tank to an outlet that is 6 ft above the top of the tank.

My work
I set the bottom of the tank at the point (0,0) & then drew a circle with a radius of 4.
dV=2x(20)dy
then solved the the circle's equation for x, x=[tex]\sqrt{(16-y^2)}[/tex]
dV=40[tex]\sqrt{(16-y^2)}[/tex]
F(y)=57(40)[tex]\sqrt{(16-y^2)}[/tex]
10-y should be the distance the work must do
W=2280 [tex]\int[/tex](10-y)[tex]\sqrt{(16-y^2)}[/tex]
Then I distributed the (10-y)
W=22800[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{(16-y^2)}[/tex]- 2280[tex]\int[/tex]y[tex]\sqrt{(16-y^2)}[/tex]

For part two, I set u=16-y^2 & got
W=22800[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{(16-y^2)}[/tex]+ 1140[tex]\int[/tex]y[tex]\sqrt{(16-y^2)}[/tex]

This is the part where I get lost, I did it a bit differently from the solutions manual, but at this point the manual shows inserting 4[tex]\pi[/tex] as follows
22800(4[tex]\pi[/tex])+ 1140[tex]\int[/tex]y[tex]\sqrt{(16-y^2)}[/tex] (evaluated from 0 to -4), I tried from (0 to 4) in my solution.

I don't understand why the solutions manual is doing this particular step, it says its the area of a semicircle, but can anyone explain why I use it in this problem & where the integral disappears to?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem can be solved easily in a different way if you calculate position of the centre of mass of the oil by integration. After that, work done = Mgh, where M is the total mass and h the height the CM has to rise. This would be the Physicist's approach.

Wouldn't you have to calculate it for a 3d object though? I don't have those skills yet. So far all I've dealt with was thin plats, 2d objects.

Yes, for 3d objects, but you have to do that anyway. And because of symmetry, the integration would be only for 2d.

I don't notice any value of g in your calcs? Also, I'm not very sure what you are trying to do.

Let me know if you need more help, but after explaining what is the method you are following.

Shooting star said:
Yes, for 3d objects, but you have to do that anyway. And because of symmetry, the integration would be only for 2d.

I don't notice any value of g in your calcs? Also, I'm not very sure what you are trying to do.

Let me know if you need more help, but after explaining what is the method you are following.

The value of g should already be in the 57 lbs, as weight. Guess I'm kind of lost myself, but up unto there, I everything the solution manual has.

Hi everyone.

I have a very similar problem to the one kuahji posted, but my problem is a storage tank completely full of oil. Would I then calculate using (6+8 -y) or (14-y) or would I use the same (10-y)? Also, wouldn't my integral be from -4 to 4 ( or 2* [0 to 4])? Thanks for any help!

Related to What is the work done in emptying a half-full cylindrical tank through a pipe?

1. How can you calculate the volume of a cylindrical tank?

The volume of a cylindrical tank can be calculated by multiplying the area of the base (πr²) by the height (h). The formula for the volume of a cylinder is V = πr²h.

2. What is the purpose of pumping a cylindrical tank?

Pumping a cylindrical tank is usually done to either fill the tank with a liquid or to empty it. This can be for storage purposes, transportation, or to facilitate a process that requires the use of the liquid in the tank.

3. How do you determine the pumping capacity needed for a cylindrical tank?

The pumping capacity needed for a cylindrical tank depends on the volume of the tank and the rate at which the liquid needs to be pumped. To determine the pumping capacity, the volume of the tank needs to be divided by the time it takes to pump the liquid.

4. What factors should be considered when selecting a pump for a cylindrical tank?

When selecting a pump for a cylindrical tank, factors such as the type of liquid being pumped, the required flow rate, the distance the liquid needs to be pumped, and the pressure needed to move the liquid should be considered. The size and shape of the tank should also be taken into account.

5. How can you ensure the safety of pumping a cylindrical tank?

To ensure the safety of pumping a cylindrical tank, it is important to follow proper safety protocols and regulations. This may include using appropriate protective gear, regularly inspecting the pump and tank for any damage, and properly disposing of any leftover or unused liquid from the tank.