Proving the Equality of Two Fractions Using Algebra

• Thread starter Kara386
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the equation ##\sqrt{\frac{N_A}{N_D} } + \sqrt{\frac{N_D}{N_A} } = \frac{N_A + N_B}{\sqrt{N_A N_B}}## and the attempts made by the person to solve it. They initially try to square the equation and then take the square root, but realize there is an error in their algebra. They then correct their mistake and are able to simplify the equation to ##N_A^2 + 2N_A N_D + N_D^2 \over N_A N_D##.
Kara386

Homework Statement

This is something I need to show in order to solve the question I've been asked. I need to show that
##\sqrt{\frac{N_A}{N_D} } + \sqrt{\frac{N_D}{N_A} } = \frac{N_A + N_B}{\sqrt{N_A N_B}}##
I know these two sides are equal because wolfram alpha says they are, and also because it works if I sub that into my proof. But I'm doing something really really really stupid I think, because I can't get there.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it might be easiest to square this and simplify, then square root. So
##(\sqrt{\frac{N_A}{N_D} } + \sqrt{\frac{N_D}{N_A} })^2 = \frac{N_A}{N_D} + 2\sqrt{\frac{N_A N_B}{N_A N_B}} + \frac{N_D}{N_A}##
I suspect that's the step that's wrong but I don't know why. Carrying on anyway:
##= \frac{N_A}{N_D} + \frac{N_D}{N_A} + 2##
Finding a common denominator:

##= \frac{N_A N_D + N_D N_A + 2N_A N_D}{N_A N_D}##
Then finally square rooting again:
##=2##
So that's very different to what I'm after and there is some really awful algebra mistake in there. Unfortunately I can't find it, any help would be very much appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh yes, that is me being pretty stupid. Could just multiply first term by ##\frac{N_A}{N_A}## and the second term by ##\frac{N_D}{N_D}##, then:
##\sqrt{\frac{N_A^2}{N_A N_D}} + \sqrt{\frac{N_D^2}{N_A N_D} }= \frac{N_A}{\sqrt{N_A N_D}} + \frac{N_D}{\sqrt{N_A N_D}}##

Kara386 said:
Finding a common denominator
leads to ##N_A^2 + 2N_A N_D + N_D^2 \over N_A N_D## :rolleyes:

Likes Kara386
BvU said:
leads to ##N_A^2 + 2N_A N_D + N_D^2 \over N_A N_D## :rolleyes:
Ah, that too! :smile: Oops! Thank you, I was never going to get that.

Related to Proving the Equality of Two Fractions Using Algebra

1. What are fractions?

Fractions are numerical representations of a part of a whole. They are written in the form of a numerator (top number) over a denominator (bottom number), separated by a line. For example, 3/4 represents three parts out of a total of four parts.

2. How do I manipulate fractions?

To manipulate fractions, you can perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations involve finding a common denominator and then performing the operation on the numerators. For example, to add 1/2 and 1/3, you first find a common denominator of 6, and then add 3/6 and 2/6 to get 5/6.

3. How do I simplify fractions?

To simplify fractions, you need to find the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator, and then divide both by the GCF. This will give you the simplest form of the fraction. For example, the GCF of 8 and 12 is 4, so the simplified fraction would be 2/3.

4. Can I convert fractions to decimals?

Yes, you can convert fractions to decimals by dividing the numerator by the denominator. For example, 3/4 would be 3 ÷ 4 = 0.75. You can also use long division or a calculator to convert fractions to decimals.

5. How do I compare fractions?

To compare fractions, you can convert them to decimals and then compare the decimal values. You can also compare fractions by finding a common denominator and then comparing the numerators. The fraction with the larger numerator is the larger fraction.