Integrated Boltzman equation for dark matter

In summary, Dodelson's book provides the equation for a scattering process, where the equilibrium number density is given as ##n^{\text{eq}}_i = g_i \int \frac{d^3p}{(2\pi)^3}e^{-E_i/T}## and the equilibrium number density ##n^{\text{eq}}_i = g_i \int \frac{d^3p}{(2\pi)^3}e^{-E_i/T}##. This equation is often seen in papers about dark matter and is true only if both ##c## and ##d## are in equilibrium. However, there may be cases where this is not the case, such as in coann
karlzr
In Dodelson's book, the equation for a scattering process ## a + b \Leftrightarrow c + d ## is given as
##a^{-3} \frac{ d (n_a a^3)}{d t}=-n^{\text{eq}}_a n^{\text{eq}}_b<\sigma v>(\frac{n_a n_b}{n^{\text{eq}}_a n^{\text{eq}}_b} - \frac{n_c n_d}{n^{\text{eq}}_c n^{\text{eq}}_d}) = - <\sigma v>(n_a n_b - \frac{n^{\text{eq}}_a n^{\text{eq}}_b}{n^{\text{eq}}_c n^{\text{eq}}_d}n_c n_d)##
with ##n_i = g_i e^{\mu_i/T}\int \frac{d^3p}{(2\pi)^3}e^{-E_i/T}## and the equilibrium number density ##n^{\text{eq}}_i = g_i \int \frac{d^3p}{(2\pi)^3}e^{-E_i/T}##.
(1)Why is this ##n^{\text{eq}}_i## the equilibrum number density since we don't necessarily have ##\mu=0## in equilibrium: ##n_i=n^{\text{eq}}_i## ?
(2) In papers about dark matter, it is very often to see ## a^{-3} \frac{ d (n_a a^3)}{d t}=-<\sigma v>(n_a n_b - n^{\text{eq}}_a n^{\text{eq}}_b) ##. This is true only if both ##c## and ##d## are in equilibrium, right? I have this question because in coannihilation dark matter hep-ph/9704361, the contribution from ##\chi_i + X \Leftrightarrow \chi_j + Y## is said to be ##\propto (n_i n_X - n^{\text{eq}}_i n^{\text{eq}}_X)## when both ##\chi_i## and ##\chi_j## are freezing out. I don't get it because ##\chi_j## isn't in equilibrium.

Still need help!

Related to Integrated Boltzman equation for dark matter

1. What is the Integrated Boltzman equation for dark matter?

The Integrated Boltzman equation for dark matter is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior and evolution of dark matter particles in the universe. It takes into account factors such as the expansion of the universe, the interaction of dark matter particles with each other and with other types of matter, and the effects of gravity.

2. How is the Integrated Boltzman equation derived?

The Integrated Boltzman equation is derived from the more general Boltzman equation, which describes the behavior of particles in a gas. However, it takes into account the unique properties of dark matter particles, such as their lack of interactions with light and their non-relativistic nature.

3. What is the significance of the Integrated Boltzman equation for understanding dark matter?

The Integrated Boltzman equation is a crucial tool for understanding the behavior and distribution of dark matter in the universe. By solving this equation, scientists can make predictions about the abundance of dark matter, its effects on the evolution of the universe, and its potential interactions with other types of matter.

4. How is the Integrated Boltzman equation used in research?

The Integrated Boltzman equation is used in a variety of research areas related to dark matter, such as cosmology, particle physics, and astrophysics. Scientists use it to simulate and analyze the behavior of dark matter in different scenarios, and to compare their predictions with observational data to test different theories and models.

5. Can the Integrated Boltzman equation be solved exactly?

No, the Integrated Boltzman equation cannot be solved exactly. It is a highly complex equation that takes into account many variables and interactions, and it is not possible to find a single analytical solution. Instead, scientists use numerical methods to approximate solutions and make predictions about the behavior of dark matter.