Proving Non-Continuity at (0,0) for f(x,y) = |xy|

In summary: But I'm not sure how to prove that.In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove that the function f(x, y) = |xy| is not continuously differentiable at the point (0,0). The participants discuss the definition of C^1 and the derivatives of f, ultimately determining that the derivatives are not continuous at (0,0) and therefore f does not belong to C^1. They then discuss how to prove this and conclude that f is differentiable but not continuously differentiable at (0,0).
math2010

Homework Statement

Let f(x, y) = |xy|.

I want to prove that f is not continuous at (0,0).

The Attempt at a Solution

To prove that f is not continuous at (0,0) I think I need to show that

[tex]\lim_{(x, y) \to (0, 0)}|xy| \neq 0[/tex]

I'm a little confused about the |absolute value| signs and I don't know know what to do with them. Can anyone help please? (there's nothin about this in my book)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi math2010! :smile:
math2010 said:
Let f(x, y) = |xy|.

I want to prove that f is not continuous at (0,0).

I think it is continuous at (0,0) :confused:

Try proving that. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi math2010! :smile:

I think it is continuous at (0,0) :confused:

Try proving that. :smile:

Well the whole problem says "Show that [tex]f \notin C^1[/tex] at (0,0)."

In my course "[tex]f \in C^1[/tex]" means that "[tex]f_x[/tex] and [tex]f_y[/tex] exist and are continuous".

So, I know that f(x, y) = |xy| is differentiable at (0,0). I want to prove that it does not belong to [tex]C^1[/tex], which is why I tried to show it's not continous. I'm very confused here :confused:

I think the notion of [itex]C^1[/itex] is defined only if you are talking about some open set. I don't think it makes any sense to say "[itex]f \in C^1[/itex] at the point [itex](0,0)[/itex]".

It's true that [itex]f[/itex] is both continuous and differentiable at [itex](0,0)[/itex].

However, [itex]f[/itex] is NOT differentiable at [itex](x,0)[/itex] for [itex]x \neq 0[/itex], nor at [itex](0,y)[/itex] for [itex]y \neq 0[/itex]. Therefore if [itex]U[/itex] is an open set containing the origin, then [itex]f \not\in C^1(U)[/itex].

math2010 said:
Well the whole problem says "Show that [tex]f \notin C^1[/tex] at (0,0)."

ah! that's not what you said originally :wink:

So f is in C0 (the continuous functions), but not in C1 (the continuously differentiable functions)
In my course "[tex]f \in C^1[/tex]" means that "[tex]f_x[/tex] and [tex]f_y[/tex] exist and are continuous".

So, I know that f(x, y) = |xy| is differentiable at (0,0). I want to prove that it does not belong to [tex]C^1[/tex], which is why I tried to show it's not continous. I'm very confused here :confused:

As jbunniii :smile: says, you need to show that f is not continuously differentiable in a neighbourhood of (0,0).

First step … what are the derivatives of f ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
ah! that's not what you said originally :wink:

So f is in C0 (the continuous functions), but not in C1 (the continuously differentiable functions)

As jbunniii :smile: says, you need to show that f is not continuously differentiable in a neighbourhood of (0,0).

First step … what are the derivatives of f ? :smile:

Since the derivative of the absolute value function is the function [tex]\frac{x}{|x|}[/tex] (where the denominator isn't zero), I guess the derivatives of f(x,y)=|xy| are [tex]f_{x}(x,y)= f_y(x,y)= \frac{xy}{|xy|}[/tex].

So what does this tell us? :rolleyes:

math2010 said:
Since the derivative of the absolute value function is the function [tex]\frac{x}{|x|}[/tex] (where the denominator isn't zero), I guess the derivatives of f(x,y)=|xy| are [tex]f_{x}(x,y)= f_y(x,y)= \frac{xy}{|xy|}[/tex].

No.

Differentiate without the ||, and then adjust it. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
No.

Differentiate without the ||, and then adjust it. :wink:

without || it is:

So [tex]f_x (x,y) = y[/tex]

And I adjust it to [tex]\frac{y}{|xy|}[/tex].

And [tex]f_y (x,y) = x[/tex] so it is [tex]\frac{x}{|xy|}[/tex]. Is this correct? :confused:

math2010 said:
without || it is:

So [tex]f_x (x,y) = y[/tex]

And I adjust it to [tex]\frac{y}{|xy|}[/tex].

No, the magnitude will just be y, so you need to multiply by the sign of xy (or xy/|xy| or |xy|/xy).

tiny-tim said:
No, the magnitude will just be y, so you need to multiply by the sign of xy (or xy/|xy| or |xy|/xy).

ah, you mean [tex]f_x (x,y)= \frac{y}{|y|}[/tex] and [tex]f_y(x,y)= \frac{x}{|x|}[/tex]?

But they both have magnitude 1, and they don't involve the sign of xy.

tiny-tim said:
But they both have magnitude 1, and they don't involve the sign of xy.

What do you mean?

I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you mean by saying "they don't involve the sign of xy". Do you mean it will be [tex]f_x(x,y) = y[/tex]?

If it wasn't for the ||, fx(x,y) would be y.

The || will change the sign, but not the magnitude. :smile:

So how does this enable us to show [tex]f \notin C^1[/tex]?

I think f is differentiable at (0,0), but not continuously differentiable.

Related to Proving Non-Continuity at (0,0) for f(x,y) = |xy|

1. What is the definition of a limit with absolute values?

A limit with absolute values is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input values approach a specific point or value, without taking into account the direction of the approach. It is denoted by the use of absolute value symbols around the input variable.

2. How do you solve a limit with absolute values?

To solve a limit with absolute values, you first need to evaluate the limit as if the absolute value symbols were not present. Then, you need to evaluate the limit from both the positive and negative sides of the input value. If the two limits match, then that is the value of the overall limit. If they do not match, then the limit does not exist.

3. What are the common types of limits with absolute values?

The most common types of limits with absolute values are limits at infinity, limits at zero, and limits at a specific value. Each type requires a different approach to solving, but all involve evaluating the limit from both the positive and negative sides of the input value.

4. Why are limits with absolute values important?

Limits with absolute values are important because they allow us to evaluate the behavior of a function at a specific point or value without considering the direction of approach. This can be useful in real-world applications, and it also allows us to find the limit of a function at certain points that would otherwise not exist.

5. Can limits with absolute values be negative?

Yes, limits with absolute values can be negative. The absolute value symbols only affect the input variable, not the output value. So, depending on the behavior of the function, the limit can be positive, negative, or zero.