Proving Infinitely Many Points on a Line in Geometry

In summary, to prove that a line in a metric geometry has infinitely many points, we must use geometry concepts such as distances and rulers. Intuitively, we can understand that any segment with at least two points has infinitely many points, but to prove this formally, we must consider the definitions of a metric geometry and a line. A metric geometry is an incidence geometry with a distance function, and a line is defined as an incidence geometry where every two distinct points lie on a unique line and there exist three points that do not lie on the same line.
Lee33

Homework Statement

Prove that a line in a metric geometry has infinitely many points.2. The attempt at a solution

I can't use any real analysis, like completeness. I can only use geometry to prove this, specifically distances and rulers.

Intituvely I understand why. Any segment with at least two points has infinitely many points, because, intuitively, given any two distinct points, there is a third one, distinct from both of them and so on. But how can I prove this formally?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is your definition of a "metric geometry"?

And, for that matter, your definition of "line"?

Sorry for that:

Metric geometry: An incidence geometry ##\{P, L\}##, where ##P## is the set of points, ##L## set of lines, together with a distance function ##d## satisfies if ever line ##l\in L## has a ruler. In this case we say ##M = \{P,L,d\}## is a metric geometry.

Line: for line I will define it as an incidence geometry. If every two distinct points in ##L## lie on a unique line and there exist three points ##a,b,c\in L## which do not lie all on one line. If ##\{P,L\}## is an incidence geometry and ##p,q\in P##, then the unique line ##l## on which both ##p,q## lie will be written as ##l=\vec{pq}##.

Related to Proving Infinitely Many Points on a Line in Geometry

1. How do you prove that there are infinitely many points on a line in geometry?

To prove that there are infinitely many points on a line in geometry, we use the concept of a line being infinite in length. This means that no matter how far we extend the line, there will always be more points that can be added. Therefore, there are infinitely many points on a line in geometry.

2. What is the difference between a line and a line segment in geometry?

A line is a straight path that extends infinitely in both directions, while a line segment is a finite portion of a line with two endpoints. A line has infinitely many points, while a line segment has a specific number of points.

3. Can you prove that a line has no beginning or end?

Yes, we can prove that a line has no beginning or end by using the concept of infinity. Since a line extends infinitely in both directions, there is no specific starting or ending point, making it infinite in length.

4. How can you prove that a line has the same number of points as another line?

To prove that two lines have the same number of points, we can use the concept of a one-to-one correspondence. This means that each point on one line can be matched with a point on the other line, showing that they have the same number of points.

5. Is it possible for a line to have a finite number of points?

No, it is not possible for a line to have a finite number of points. As mentioned earlier, a line is infinite in length, which means it has infinitely many points. Therefore, a line can never have a finite number of points.