Proving F is not an increasing function?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the meaning of "f is not an increasing function" without using words of negation. The solution involves filling in the blank of a statement and using the definition of an increasing function to show that f is not increasing.
mdlavey
1. (Initial Question) let f be a function from R to R. Without using words of negation, write the meaning of "f is not an increasing function."

2. No Relevant Equations.

3.(Attempt at Solution) Does this mean that I just need to rewrite the statement without using the word "not", or am I somehow supposed to prove that f is not an increasing function? If I am supposed to prove this, how would I go about that?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
mdlavey said:
1. (Initial Question) let f be a function from R to R. Without using words of negation, write the meaning of "f is not an increasing function."

2. No Relevant Equations.

3.(Attempt at Solution) Does this mean that I just need to rewrite the statement without using the word "not", or am I somehow supposed to prove that f is not an increasing function? If I am supposed to prove this, how would I go about that?

Thanks!

Neither. You just need to fill in the blank spot in this:

If f is a function from R to R such that ____________________________, then f is not an increasing function on R.

You have a definition of increasing function to use to help you fill in the blank.

There exist some x and y such that x< y but ... What will be true of f(x) and f(y) to show that f is NOT increasing?

Related to Proving F is not an increasing function?

1. What does it mean for a function to be increasing?

An increasing function is a mathematical function in which the output (y-value) increases as the input (x-value) increases. In other words, as the input increases, the output also increases, without any decrease in between.

2. How do you prove that a function is not increasing?

To prove that a function is not increasing, you need to find at least one instance where the output decreases as the input increases. This can be done by finding a point where the function's derivative is negative, indicating a decrease in the function's slope.

3. What is the role of the derivative in proving a function is not increasing?

The derivative of a function represents its slope at a given point. Therefore, if the derivative is negative at any point, it indicates a decrease in slope and thus proves that the function is not increasing.

4. Can a function be both increasing and decreasing?

No, a function cannot be both increasing and decreasing. It can either be increasing, decreasing, or constant. A function is increasing if its slope is positive, decreasing if its slope is negative, and constant if its slope is zero.

5. Is there a difference between proving a function is not increasing and proving it is decreasing?

Yes, there is a difference between proving a function is not increasing and proving it is decreasing. Proving a function is not increasing requires finding at least one instance where the output decreases as the input increases. On the other hand, proving a function is decreasing requires finding at least one instance where the output decreases as the input decreases.