How to Show Linearity of a Function?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to approach and show that a function, specifically ##\partial##, is linear. The problem statement asks to prove that ##\partial## is a linear function for a given function ##f## and the notation ##j_K##. The conversation also addresses the requirements for a function to be linear and how to define the function ##\partial##. The conversation concludes with a summary of how ##\partial## transforms a given function.
PhysicsRock
Homework Statement
Take the Vector space of functions from a set ##\{ 0,1,...,n \}## to a field ##K##, ##V_n = \text{Fun}(\{ 0,1,...,n \},K)##. The notation ##j_K## refers to ##\underbrace{1_K + ... + 1_K}_{j \text{-times}}##. Let ##f \in V_{n+1}##. For a function ##\partial : V_{n+1} \rightarrow V_n## and ##f \in V_{n+1}##, show that ##\partial## is a linear function for ##\partial : i \rightarrow (i+1)_K \cdot f(i+1)##.
Relevant Equations
/
I don't really know how I am supposed to approach that. In general, I know how to show that a function is linear, which is to show that ##f(\alpha \cdot x) = \alpha \cdot f(x)## and ##f(x_1 + x_2) = f(x_1) + f(x_2)##. However, for this specific function, I have no idea, since there is nothing provided about ##f##, so if I wanted to show the multiplicative property, I couldn't just drag anything out of ##f## without loss of generality. So I could really use some help to figure this out.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsRock said:
Homework Statement:: Take the Vector space of functions from a set ##\{ 0,1,...,n \}## to a field ##K##, ##V_n = \text{Fun}(\{ 0,1,...,n \},K)##. The notation ##j_K## refers to ##\underbrace{1_K + ... + 1_K}_{j \text{-times}}##. Let ##f \in V_{n+1}##. For a function ##\partial : V_{n+1} \rightarrow V_n## and ##f \in V_{n+1}##, show that ##\partial## is a linear function for ##\partial : i \rightarrow (i+1)_K \cdot f(i+1)##.
Relevant Equations::

Should this not be [tex]
\partial(f) : i \mapsto (i+1)_K \cdot f(i+1)[/tex]

EDIT: Also, I think we need [itex]\partial: V_{n} \to V_{n+1}[/itex] for [itex]\partial(f)(n)[/itex] to be defined.

I don't really know how I am supposed to approach that. In general, I know how to show that a function is linear, which is to show that ##f(\alpha \cdot x) = \alpha \cdot f(x)## and ##f(x_1 + x_2) = f(x_1) + f(x_2)##. However, for this specific function, I have no idea, since there is nothing provided about ##f##, so if I wanted to show the multiplicative property, I couldn't just drag anything out of ##f## without loss of generality. So I could really use some help to figure this out.

You are trying to show that [itex]\partial : V_{n+1} \to V_n[/itex] is linear, ie. [itex]\partial(f_1 + f_2) = \partial (f_1) + \partial (f_2)[/itex] for all [itex]f_1, f_2 \in V_{n+1}[/itex] and [itex]\partial(\alpha f) = \alpha \partial (f)[/itex] for every [itex]\alpha \in K[/itex] and every [itex]f \in V_{n+1}[/itex].

The operations on [itex]V_{n+1}[/itex] and [itex]V_n[/itex] are pointwise: [itex](f_1 + f_2)(x) = f_1(x) + f_2(x)[/itex], [itex](\alpha f)(x) = \alpha f(x)[/itex].

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
pasmith said:
Should this not be [tex]
You are trying to show that [itex]\partial : V_{n+1} \to V_n[/itex] is linear, ie. [itex]\partial(f_1 + f_2) = \partial (f_1) + \partial (f_2)[/itex] for all [itex]f_1, f_2 \in V_{n+1}[/itex] and [itex]\partial(\alpha f) = \alpha \partial (f)[/itex] for every [itex]\alpha \in K[/itex] and every [itex]f \in V_{n+1}[/itex].

The operations on [itex]V_{n+1}[/itex] and [itex]V_n[/itex] are pointwise: [itex](f_1 + f_2)(x) = f_1(x) + f_2(x)[/itex], [itex](\alpha f)(x) = \alpha f(x)[/itex].
Yes, it's supposed to be ##\partial(f)##. Thank you, I forgot to state that. This helps.

pasmith said:
Should this not be [tex]

EDIT: Also, I think we need [itex]\partial: V_{n} \to V_{n+1}[/itex] for [itex]\partial(f)(n)[/itex] to be defined.

But one thing I don't understand: how do you know that ##f## obeys the requirements of a linear function?

PhysicsRock said:
But one thing I don't understand: how do you know that ##f## obeys the requirements of a linear function?

[itex]f[/itex] doesn't have to be linear; its domain is not even a vector space!

pasmith said:
EDIT: Also, I think we need ##\partial : V_n \rightarrow V_{n+1}## for ##\partial(f)(n)## to be defined.

I thought about that too. The assignment though says clearly what I stated in the problem description.

The problem statement asks you to show that [itex]\partial[/itex] is linear; it says nothing about [itex]f[/itex], other than that it is an arbitrary vector in [itex]V_n[/itex]. Perhaps the fact that you used it in your statement of the definition of a linear function is confusing you.

pasmith said:
The problem statement asks you to show that [itex]\partial[/itex] is linear; it says nothing about [itex]f[/itex], other than that it is an arbitrary vector in [itex]V_n[/itex]. Perhaps the fact that you used it in your statement of the definition of a linear function is confusing you.
I pretty much only translated the assignment. I felt like including everything was helpful to receive the needed aid.

PhysicsRock said:
I pretty much only translated the assignment. I felt like including everything was helpful to receive the needed aid.
When you have something as abstract as this, you need to get a grip on what everything is.

I would have called ##\partial## an operator that maps functions in ##V_{n+1}## to functions in ##V_n##.

For ##f \in V_{n+1}##, what does ##d = \partial(f)## look like?

We know that ##d \in V_n## must be defined for ##i = 0, 1 \dots n##. Working from the definition:
$$d(0) = 1_Kf(1)$$$$d(1) = 2_Kf(2)$$$$\dots d(n) = (n+1)_Kf(n+1)$$Now that we see how ##\partial## transforms functions the fun can begin!

Let ##f, g \in V_{n+1}## and ##a \in K##. We need to show that:
$$\partial(f +g) = \partial(f) + \partial(g)$$$$\partial(af) = a\partial(f)$$Perhaps that's more help than I should have given you. It seems to me that the material you're studying exceeds your current capability to think in terms of abstract mathematics.

Related to How to Show Linearity of a Function?

1. What is a linear function?

A linear function is a mathematical function that has a constant rate of change. This means that as the input (x) increases or decreases by a certain amount, the output (y) also increases or decreases by a fixed amount.

2. How do you show that a function is linear?

To show that a function is linear, you can use the slope-intercept form of a linear equation, which is y = mx + b. If the function follows this form, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept, then it is a linear function.

3. What is the difference between a linear and a nonlinear function?

A linear function has a constant rate of change, while a nonlinear function does not. This means that the slope of a linear function remains the same throughout, while the slope of a nonlinear function can vary at different points.

4. How do you graph a linear function?

To graph a linear function, you can plot two points on the coordinate plane and then draw a straight line through them. You can also use the slope and y-intercept to graph the function by starting at the y-intercept and using the slope to find other points on the line.

5. Can a linear function have a negative slope?

Yes, a linear function can have a negative slope. This means that as the input (x) increases, the output (y) decreases at a constant rate. The slope of a linear function can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the values of the function.