Proving A is the Empty Set: Exploring Set Subsets and Implications

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Empty Set
In summary, when we say that $A\subset \varnothing$, we are saying that for all sets $A$ there is no set $x$ such that $x\in A\rightarrow x\in \varnothing$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to show that $A \subset \varnothing \rightarrow A=\varnothing$.

That's what I thought:

$$A \subset \varnothing \text{ means that :}$$
$$\forall x (x \in A \rightarrow x \in \varnothing)$$

Since, there is no $x$, such that $x \in \varnothing$, there is no $x$, such that $x \in A$.

Therefore, $A$ is the empty set.

Could you tell me if it is right? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, we need to prove that if $ A \subset \emptyset$ it follows that $A = \emptyset$.

Proof
Suppose $A \neq \emptyset$ then we can find an $x \in A$ such that $x \notin \emptyset$. Since $A \subset \emptyset$ it follows that $x \notin A$ hence we have a contradiction. Therefore our assumption was false and thus $A = \emptyset$.

evinda said:
$$A \subset \varnothing \text{ means that :}$$
$$\forall x (x \in A \rightarrow x \in \varnothing)$$

Since, there is no $x$, such that $x \in \varnothing$, there is no $x$, such that $x \in A$.

Therefore, $A$ is the empty set.

Could you tell me if it is right?
Yes, you are right.

Siron said:
Well, we need to prove that if $ A \subset \emptyset$ it follows that $A = \emptyset$.

Proof
Suppose $A \neq \emptyset$ then we can find an $x \in A$ such that $x \notin \emptyset$. Since $A \subset \emptyset$ it follows that $x \notin A$ hence we have a contradiction. Therefore our assumption was false and thus $A = \emptyset$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Yes, you are right.

Nice, thank you very much! (Smile)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Yes, you are right.

Could we also say it like that? (Thinking)

It is known that $\varnothing \subset B$, for all sets $B$.

Therefore, $\varnothing \subset A$.
We also now that $A \subset \varnothing$.

So, we conclude that $A=\varnothing$.

evinda said:
We also now that $A \subset \varnothing$.
We now... what? The suspense is killing me! This reminds me of the "I Accidentally…" meme. (Smile)

If you mean that we assumed that $A\subset\varnothing$ (I prefer to use $\subseteq$ for possibly nonstrict inclusions), then you are correct. The only thing is you have to show that $A\subseteq B$ and $B\subseteq A$ imply $A=B$. This is obvious, but so is the original statement, so it's difficult to say whether its proof is required.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
We now... what? The suspense is killing me! This reminds me of the "I Accidentally…" meme. (Smile)

(Giggle)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
If you mean that we assumed that $A\subset\varnothing$ (I prefer to use $\subseteq$ for possibly nonstrict inclusions), then you are correct. The only thing is you have to show that $A\subseteq B$ and $B\subseteq A$ imply $A=B$. This is obvious, but so is the original statement, so it's difficult to say whether its proof is required.

Could prove it like that? (Thinking)

$A \subseteq \varnothing \leftrightarrow \forall x(x \in A \rightarrow x \in \varnothing)$

$\varnothing \subseteq A \leftrightarrow \forall x(x \in \varnothing \rightarrow x \in A)$

$A \subseteq \varnothing \wedge \varnothing \subseteq A \leftrightarrow \forall x(x \in A \leftrightarrow x \in \varnothing) \overset{\text{ axiom of extensionality }}{ \rightarrow } A=\varnothing$

Yes, this is perfect.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Yes, this is perfect.

Nice! Thanks a lot! (Happy)

Related to Proving A is the Empty Set: Exploring Set Subsets and Implications

What does it mean to show that A is the empty set?

Showing that A is the empty set means proving that A contains no elements. In other words, A is a set with no objects or elements in it.

How can you prove that A is the empty set?

There are a few ways to prove that A is the empty set. One way is to show that for any element x, x does not belong to A. Another way is to use a proof by contradiction, assuming that A is not empty and showing that this leads to a contradiction.

What is the notation for the empty set?

The empty set is often denoted by the symbol ∅ or {}. However, in some cases, it may also be represented using the symbol Φ.

Why is showing that A is the empty set important?

Showing that A is the empty set can be important in various mathematical and scientific applications. For example, it can be used to prove certain theorems or to show that a set is disjoint from another set.

Can a set have elements and still be considered the empty set?

No, a set with even a single element cannot be considered the empty set. The empty set must have no elements at all in order to be considered as such.