Exploring the Powerset of Sets: How to Find All Elements Using Simple Identities

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the powerset of a given set and explores using different identities to find the elements. The final question asks if the number of arrangements of numbers is equal to a certain combination.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to find the powerset $\mathcal{P} \mathcal{P} \{ \varnothing, \{ \varnothing \} \}$, which has $16$ elements.

I found that $\mathcal{P} \{ \varnothing, \{ \varnothing \} \}=\{ \varnothing, \{ \{ \varnothing \} \}, \{ \varnothing \}, \{ \varnothing, \{ \varnothing \} \} \}$.

Using the identities:

• The empty set $\varnothing$ is a subset of each set.
    $$$$
  • If $A$ is a set, then $A \subset A \rightarrow A \in \mathcal{P} A$.
    $$$$
  • If $A$ is a set and $x \in A$, then:
    $$\{ x \} \subset A \rightarrow \{ x \} \in \mathcal{P} A$$

I found:

$$\mathcal{P} \{ \varnothing, \{ \{ \varnothing \} \}, \{ \varnothing \}, \{ \varnothing, \{ \varnothing \} \} \}=\{ \varnothing, \{ \varnothing \}, \{ \{ \{ \varnothing \} \} \}, \{ \{ \varnothing \} \}, \{ \{ \varnothing, \{ \varnothing \} \} \}, \{ \varnothing, \{ \{ \varnothing \} \}, \{ \varnothing \}, \{ \varnothing, \{ \varnothing \} \} \}$$

Which other identities could I use to find the other elements of the powerset? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Which other identities could I use to find the other elements of the powerset?
Why do you need any identities?
\[
\mathcal{P}\{1,2,3,4\}=\{\varnothing,\{1\},\{2\},\{3\},\{4\},\{1,2\},\{1,3\},\{1,4\},\{2,3\},\{2,4\},\{3,4\},\{1,2,3\},\{1,2,4\},\{1,3,4\},\{2,3,4\},\{1,2,3,4\}\}
\]
Replace in this identity 1, 2, 3, 4 with $\varnothing$, $\{ \varnothing \}$, $\{ \{ \varnothing \} \}$, $\{ \varnothing, \{ \varnothing \} \}$, respectively.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Why do you need any identities?
\[
\mathcal{P}\{1,2,3,4\}=\{\varnothing,\{1\},\{2\},\{3\},\{4\},\{1,2\},\{1,3\},\{1,4\},\{2,3\},\{2,4\},\{3,4\},\{1,2,3\},\{1,2,4\},\{1,3,4\},\{2,3,4\},\{1,2,3,4\}\}
\]
Replace in this identity 1, 2, 3, 4 with $\varnothing$, $\{ \varnothing \}$, $\{ \{ \varnothing \} \}$, $\{ \varnothing, \{ \varnothing \} \}$, respectively.

I understand... (Nod) Is the number of different arrangements of $j, 1 \leq j \leq 4$ numbers equal to $\binom{4}{j}$ ? (Thinking)

Related to Exploring the Powerset of Sets: How to Find All Elements Using Simple Identities

1. What is the powerset of a set?

The powerset of a set is the set of all possible subsets of that set, including the empty set and the set itself.

2. How is the powerset of a set calculated?

The powerset of a set with n elements has 2^n subsets. This can be calculated by using the formula 2^n, where n is the number of elements in the original set.

3. What is the cardinality of a powerset?

The cardinality, or size, of a powerset is 2^n, where n is the number of elements in the original set. This means that the powerset will always have more elements than the original set.

4. Can the powerset of a set be infinite?

Yes, the powerset of a set can be infinite. This is because the number of subsets in a powerset is 2^n, and this number can become very large as n increases.

5. What is the significance of powersets in mathematics?

Powersets are important in mathematics because they allow us to examine all possible combinations and subsets of a given set. They are also used in set theory and other areas of mathematics to prove theorems and solve problems.