Prove that any two elements of order 3 in GL(2,Z) are conjugates.

• Thread starter neham
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary, the paper "the group of units of the integral group ring ZS3" by Hughes and Pearson discusses the result that any two elements of order 3 in the group of units of the integral group ring ZS3 are conjugates. This result can also be found in "Representation Theory of finite groups and associated algebras" by Curtis and Reiner. The proof involves finding the conjugacy classes for order-3 elements in GL(2,Z) and showing that they share the same trace-of-power values. This result can also be extended to fields with only one cube root of unity.
neham
Prove that any two elements of order 3 in GL(2,Z) are conjugates.

A paper on "the group of units of the integral group ring ZS3" by Hughes and Pearson refers to this result and says that it has been picked up from "Representation Theory of finite groups and associated algebras" by Curtis and Reiner but I am not able to trace the result...can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
That means that all order-3 elements of that group reside in the same conjugacy class.

a' = g*a*inv(g)

This problem stumped me at first, so I decided to try a simpler problem -- all order-2 elements. They have forms

{{a,b},{b,-a}} with a2 + b2 = 1
{{a,b},{-b,a}} with a2 - b2 = 1
{{0,b},{1/b,0}} with b nonzero

The first two are identical for a field with characteristic 2, though not otherwise.

By trying to find g's that relate different solutions by conjugacy, I find these conjugacy classes:

Identity matrix I

- I
for characteristic != 2

{{a,b},{-b,a}} and {{a,-b},{b,a}}
for characteristic != 2
a separate class for each set of nonzero a, b satisfying a2 - b2 = 1

A single class of:
{{a,b},{b,-a}}
for every nonzero a, b satisfying a2 + b2 = 1
and also
{{0,b},{1/b,0}}
for every nonzero b

For the integers, GL(2,Z), one gets these conjugacy classes:
I
-I
{{0,1},{-1,0}} and {{0,-1},{1,0}}

To follow up on the previous post, I note that conjugacy classes share the values of the traces of powers of their members. However, more than one class can share a set of trace-of-power value.

For the order-2 case, I get:
I: 2 (really order 1)
-I: -2
all the sets {{a,b},{-b,a} and {{a,-b},{b,a}}: 2a
The remaining one: 0

For the order-3 case, working from {{a11,a12},{a21,a22}}, the possible solutions are

a*I where a3 = 1

{{a11,a12},{a21,a22}}
where a112 + a11*a22 + a222 + a12*a21 = 0
and at least one of a22 != a11, a21 != 0, and a21 != 0 is true

For a12 = a21 = 0, we get
a113 = a223 = 1
a11 and a22 are thus any of the field's cube roots of unity, either {1} or {1,w,w2}

For at least one of a12 and a21 nonzero, we get
(a11 + a22)3 = -1

The conjugacy classes can be distinguished by their traces of powers. For matrix A = {{a's}}:
Tr(A) = a11 + a22
Tr(A2) = a112 + a222 + 2*a12*a21

For a12 = a21 = 0 (diagonal),
Tr(A) = a11 + a22
Tr(A2) = a112 + a222
Their conjugacy classes are thus
a*I for each a in {1,w,w2}
diag(a,b) and diag(b,a) for each set of distinct a,b in {1,w,w2}

For at least one of a12 and a21 nonzero (non-diagonal),
Tr(A) = a11 + a22
Tr(A2) = - (a11 + a22)2 = - (Tr(A))2
Thus, Tr(A) is any of {-1} or {-1, -w, -w2}
Every one of these matrices that shares a value of Tr(A) falls into the same conjugacy class.

Is Tr(A2) = - (Tr(A))2 for any of the non-identity-multiple diagonal matrices? If so, then that matrix falls into the appropriate non-diagonal-matrix class.

{1,w} -- -w2, -w
{1,w2} -- -w, -w2
{w,w2} -- -1, -1

That's the case for all of them.

Thus, the order-3 matrices fall into these conjugacy classes:
w*I
w2*I
the rest with Tr(A) and Tr(A2) values:
-1, -1
-w, -w2
-w2, -w

If there is only one cube root of unity in the field, then there is only one class of order-3 elements, which proves what neham was asking about.

Related to Prove that any two elements of order 3 in GL(2,Z) are conjugates.

1. What is GL(2,Z)?

GL(2,Z) refers to the set of all invertible 2x2 matrices with integer entries. In other words, it is the general linear group of degree 2 over the integers.

2. What does it mean for two elements to be conjugates?

In the context of group theory, two elements are said to be conjugates if there exists an element in the group that can transform one element into the other. In other words, two elements are conjugates if they are equivalent under a certain operation.

3. Why is the order of the elements important in this proof?

The order of an element in a group is the number of times that element must be multiplied by itself to get the identity element. In this proof, the order of the elements is important because it tells us how many times we need to apply the group operation to transform one element into the other.

4. How can we prove that any two elements of order 3 in GL(2,Z) are conjugates?

In order to prove that any two elements of order 3 in GL(2,Z) are conjugates, we can use the fact that GL(2,Z) is a finite group. This means that every element in the group has a finite order, and therefore, we can systematically check each possible combination of elements to see if they are conjugates.

5. What are the implications of this proof in the study of group theory?

This proof has important implications in the study of group theory because it shows that the elements of order 3 in GL(2,Z) are all equivalent under a certain operation. This allows us to better understand the structure and properties of this group, and can be applied to other groups as well.