Order of product of elements in a group

In summary, the conversation discussed the author's experience reading Milne's Group Theory and a proof about the order of product of elements in a finite group. It was mentioned that the proof involved images of elements in the quotient group $\text{SL}_2(\mathbb{F}_q)/\{\pm I\}$ and dividing the orders of certain elements by 2. A simpler proof for this fact was also requested. Advice was given to have a good understanding of basic algebra before studying Milne's monograph.
Arnold1
Hello.

I'm just beginning my course in algebra. I've been reading Milne, Group Theory ( http://www.jmilne.org/math/CourseNotes/GT310.pdf page 29).
I've found there a very nice proof of the fact that given two elements in a finite group, we cannot really say very much about their product's order. However, there are some things about the proof I do not quite understand. Namely - the first paragraph. What are the images of elements in \(\displaystyle SL_2(\mathbb{F}_q)/ \{+-I\}\) and why do we divide the orders of \(\displaystyle a, \ b, \ c\) by \(\displaystyle 2\)?

Is it because the centre(\(\displaystyle \{+-I\} \)) has order \(\displaystyle 2\) and thus by Lagrange's theorem, the order of the quotient group must be two times smaller?I would really appreciate a thorough explanation. Maybe you know a simpler proof of the fact (about the order of product of elements)?Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Arnold said:
Hello.

I'm just beginning my course in algebra. I've been reading Milne, Group Theory ( http://www.jmilne.org/math/CourseNotes/GT310.pdf page 29).
I've found there a very nice proof of the fact that given two elements in a finite group, we cannot really say very much about their product's order. However, there are some things about the proof I do not quite understand. Namely - the first paragraph. What are the images of elements in \(\displaystyle SL_2(\mathbb{F}_q)/ \{+-I\}\) and why do we divide the orders of \(\displaystyle a, \ b, \ c\) by \(\displaystyle 2\)?
If $a$ has order $2m$ then $a^m$ has order $2$. But, as Milne points out, $-I$ is the unique element of order $2$ in $\text{SL}_2(\mathbb{F}_q)$. Therefore $a^m = -I$, so that (the coset of) $a^m$ is the identity element in the quotient group $\text{SL}_2(\mathbb{F}_q)/\{\pm I\}.$ It follows that the image of $a$ has order $m$ in the quotient group.

Thank you for that link! It looks as though Milne's notes are an excellent free online resource for group theory.

Last edited:
You're welcome. Thank you for the explanation.

Welcome to MHB, Arnold! :)

Arnold said:
What are the images of elements in \(\displaystyle SL_2(\mathbb{F}_q)/ \{+-I\}\)

Let's first start with the elements.
The elements have the form {a,-a}, where $a \in SL_2(\mathbb{F}_q)$, which is a 2x2 matrix with elements from $\mathbb Z/q\mathbb Z$.

There is a so called natural or canonical function $SL_2(\mathbb{F}_q) \to SL_2(\mathbb{F}_q)/ \{\pm I\}$, given by $a \mapsto \{a,-a\}$.
Milne means that the image of an element a is {a,-a}, since a itself is not an element of the quotient group.

why do we divide the orders of \(\displaystyle a, \ b, \ c\) by \(\displaystyle 2\)?

Let's pick an example in $SL_2(F_3)$
$$a=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 1 & 2\end{pmatrix},\ a^2 = \begin{pmatrix}-1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1\end{pmatrix}$$
So $a$ has order 4.
Since $a^2 = -I$ already belongs to the coset $\{\pm I\}$, which is the identity element, the order of {a,-a} is 2.

Is it because the centre(\(\displaystyle \{+-I\} \)) has order \(\displaystyle 2\) and thus by Lagrange's theorem, the order of the quotient group must be two times smaller?

Yes.

Hi,
Here's some unsolicited advice. From your question, I don't think you should be studying Milne's monograph yet. Case in point, the theorem in your question. The first assertion is that SL(2,q) with q=pk has a unique element of order 2. I think this requires some proof, which to me is not obvious. Furthermore, the statement is false if p=2 -- If you can easily prove the above, I retract my advice. So my advice to you is to get a good grounding in basic algebra before you go back to Milne.

P.S. In case you can read German, the very old but still very good book Endliche Gruppe I by B. Huppert is a very comprehensive treatment. It is virtually self contained; that is, all necessary facts from other branches of algebra are presented.

Related to Order of product of elements in a group

1. What is the definition of "Order" in the context of a group?

The order of a group is the number of elements in the group. It represents the size or cardinality of the group and is denoted by |G|.

2. How is the order of a group calculated?

The order of a group can be calculated by counting the number of elements in the group. Another way to calculate it is by using Lagrange's Theorem, which states that the order of a subgroup must divide the order of the parent group.

3. What is the significance of the order of a group?

The order of a group is important because it tells us the number of elements that we can generate by combining the elements of the group. It also helps us determine if a group is finite or infinite.

4. How does the order of a group affect the order of its elements?

The order of a group can affect the order of its elements. For example, in a cyclic group, the order of an element must divide the order of the group. This means that the order of an element can never be larger than the order of the group.

5. Can the order of a group change?

Yes, the order of a group can change if elements are added or removed from the group. However, the order of a group is a fundamental property and cannot be changed by simply rearranging the elements.