Problem solving separable diff EQ w/ I.Condition. , they say its wrong :x

In summary, the conversation is about solving the separable differential equation 11x - 8y*sqrt{x^2 + 1}*{dy}/{dx} = 0 with the initial condition y(0) = 6. The person is asking for help with their solution and someone responds with a corrected solution, explaining where the error was. The final solution is y(x)=\pm\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{11\sqrt{x^2+1}+133}.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone i did this one surley thing it would work out and yet another failure. :cry:
Solve the separable differential equation
11 x - 8 y*sqrt{x^2 + 1}*{dy}/{dx} = 0.
Subject to the initial condition: y(0) = 6.
y = ?I'm pretty sure where I messed up is when i tried to solve for y, i htink i screwed up there but I'm not sure, anyone know? Thanks! its #11. Ignore that top stuff please!

Here is my work:
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/5705/lastscan8cm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Particular solution

You problem lies in where you placed your constant of integration, namely:

[tex]11\int \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}dx = \frac{11}{2}\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{u}}du = \frac{11}{2}\int u^{-\frac{1}{2}}du = 11u^{\frac{1}{2}}+C=11\sqrt{x^2+1}+C[/tex]

C is outside the square root, from there

[tex]4y^2=11\sqrt{x^2+1}+C[/tex]

[tex]y^2=\frac{11}{4}\sqrt{x^2+1}+\frac{C}{4}[/tex]

or,

[tex]y=\pm\sqrt{\frac{11}{4}\sqrt{x^2+1}+\frac{C}{4}}[/tex]

to solve for C, use the simplest form of the solved DE, that is use

[tex]4y^2=11\sqrt{x^2+1}+C[/tex]

for x=0 and y(0)=6, this gives

[tex]4(6)^2=11\sqrt{0^2+1}+C[/tex]

which simplifies to

[tex]144=11+C[/tex]

and hence C=133, plug this into

[tex]y=\pm\sqrt{\frac{11}{4}\sqrt{x^2+1}+\frac{C}{4}}[/tex]

to get

[tex]y(x)=\pm\sqrt{\frac{11}{4}\sqrt{x^2+1}+\frac{133}{4}}=\pm\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{11\sqrt{x^2+1}+133}[/tex]

as your particular solution.

Last edited:
yup, that constant shouldn't be under the radical! :-p

Ahhh, that worked perfectly Benorin, thanks a ton (again)! :) The step by step explanation is great!

Related to Problem solving separable diff EQ w/ I.Condition. , they say its wrong :x

What is a separable differential equation?

A separable differential equation is an equation that can be written in the form of y' = f(x)g(y), where f(x) and g(y) are functions of x and y respectively. This form allows us to separate the variables and solve for y by integrating both sides.

What is an initial condition in problem solving for separable differential equations?

An initial condition is a given point (x0, y0) that satisfies the differential equation. It is used to find the specific solution to the equation by substituting it into the general solution and solving for the constant of integration.

What is the general process for solving a separable differential equation?

The general process for solving a separable differential equation is as follows:

1. Separate the variables and integrate both sides.
  2. Include a constant of integration.
  3. Use the initial condition to solve for the constant of integration and find the specific solution.

Why might a solution to a separable differential equation be considered wrong?

A solution to a separable differential equation may be considered wrong if it does not satisfy the initial condition or if it is not a valid solution to the given equation. It is important to double check the work and ensure that all steps were completed accurately.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving separable differential equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving separable differential equations include:

• Forgetting to include the constant of integration when integrating.
  • Not checking the solution against the initial condition.
  • Making algebraic errors when integrating or solving for the constant of integration.