Solving Diff. Eq. to Find Solutions (1, 0)

• Thread starter johann1301h
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves a student trying to solve the differential equation y'/y^2 = 1 and finding one solution, 1/(1-x), but the math book says 1/(1-2x) is also a solution. The student is unsure how to find this solution and asks for help. The conversation then brings up the issue of whether a solution where y=0 at some point is valid for the given differential equation.
johann1301h

Homework Statement

[/B]
Solve the differenetial equation and find the all solutions through (1, 0).
y'/y^2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

i find one solution: 1/(1-x). But the math book says 1/(1-2x) also is a solution. How do i find this solution?

I used that ∫y-2dy = ∫1dx to find the first solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
johann1301h said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
y'/y^2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

i find one solution: 1/(1-x). But the math book says 1/(1-2x) also is a solution. How do i find this solution?

I used that ∫y-2dy = ∫1dx to find the first solution.

You need to show the actual details of your solution in order for us to see where you went wrong.

johann1301h said:
i find one solution: 1/(1-x). But the math book says 1/(1-2x) also is a solution.
Is it really a solution? Replace it back into the original equation.

johann1301h said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
y'/y^2 = 1

A solution where ##y=0## at some point? Isn't that a problem with the given differential equation?

Related to Solving Diff. Eq. to Find Solutions (1, 0)

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you solve a differential equation?

To solve a differential equation, you need to find a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done using various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors.

3. Why is solving differential equations important?

Solving differential equations allows us to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems. It is also essential in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, biology, and economics.

4. What are the different types of differential equations?

The three main types of differential equations are ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and stochastic differential equations. Ordinary differential equations involve one independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Stochastic differential equations involve randomness or uncertainty in the system.

5. How can differential equations be applied in real-life situations?

Differential equations can be used to model and understand various phenomena in the real world, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and the spread of diseases. They are also used in engineering to design and analyze systems, such as electrical circuits and fluid dynamics.