Problem applying divergence theorem to wave equation

In summary, to find p and q, you need to integrate by parts multiple times on the given equation, using the fact that the integral is a divergence. This will lead you to expressions for p and q in terms of the given equation and its derivatives.
diligence
I'm an undergrad doing research in PDE and my adviser gave me some material to read over the holiday. But I'm getting stuck at the beginning where the divergence theorem is applied to a calculation. Maybe somebody can help me?

Without getting too detailed about the context of the problem (so we don't get bogged down in material irrelevant to my question), let u(x,t) be a solution to the wave equation, and suppose that it's already been shown that the following integral is a divergence, and can therefore be written as a surface integral:

[itex]\int\int (u_{tt} - Δ_x u)[(r^2 + t^2)u_t + 2t(ru)_r ]dxdt = \int_{\partial} (pn + qn_{t})dS = 0[/itex]

where ∂ is a 3-d surface with surface element dS, n is the space component of the outward normal, and n_t is the time component.

My question is how do I find p and q? I know I have to find an expression that represents the divergence of p and the time derivative of q by integrating by parts on the left hand side a gajillion times, but I'm confused as to whether I actually evaluate the integrals or what? Is the following correct as far as what I'm looking for is concerned?

[itex]\int\int (u_{tt} - Δ_x u)[(r^2 + t^2)u_t + 2t(ru)_r ]dxdt = \int\int (\nabla \cdot p + q_t )dxdt [/itex]

By the way, this is from Appendix 3 in the book - Scattering Theory - by Lax, if anybody happens to know this stuff...

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks in advance. Yes, the equation is correct. To find p and q, you need to integrate by parts. First, let's integrate the first part of the integrand by parts:\int\int (u_{tt} - \Delta_x u)[(r^2 + t^2)u_t + 2t(ru)_r ]dxdt = \int\int [u_{tt}(r^2 + t^2)u_t + u_{tt}2t(ru)_r - \Delta_x u (r^2 + t^2)u_t - \Delta_x u2t(ru)_r ]dxdtNow, we can split this into two parts:\int\int [u_{tt}(r^2 + t^2)u_t - \Delta_x u (r^2 + t^2)u_t]dxdt + \int\int [u_{tt}2t(ru)_r - \Delta_x u2t(ru)_r]dxdt We can then integrate by parts further on each of these terms to find expressions for p and q.

Related to Problem applying divergence theorem to wave equation

1. What is the divergence theorem and how is it related to the wave equation?

The divergence theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the enclosed volume. It is related to the wave equation because the wave equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of waves, and it can be written in terms of a vector field.

2. Why is the divergence theorem important in solving problems involving the wave equation?

The divergence theorem is important in solving problems involving the wave equation because it allows us to convert a surface integral into a volume integral, which is often easier to solve. This makes it a useful tool for finding solutions to the wave equation in complex systems.

3. What are some common difficulties when applying the divergence theorem to the wave equation?

One common difficulty when applying the divergence theorem to the wave equation is ensuring that the vector field in question satisfies the necessary conditions for the theorem to hold. Additionally, care must be taken when defining the surface and volume over which the integrals are taken to ensure that they are closed and well-defined.

4. Are there any limitations to using the divergence theorem in solving problems involving the wave equation?

Yes, there are limitations to using the divergence theorem in solving problems involving the wave equation. The theorem is only valid for vector fields that are continuously differentiable, and it may not apply to systems with discontinuities or singularities. In these cases, alternative methods may need to be used.

5. Can the divergence theorem be applied to other types of equations besides the wave equation?

Yes, the divergence theorem can be applied to other types of equations besides the wave equation. It is a general theorem in vector calculus that can be used to simplify surface integrals in various contexts, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and more. However, the specific form of the theorem may differ depending on the equation being solved.