Pressure and density of compressible fluids.

In summary, the density of a fluid will increase with increasing pressure, although the exact relationship between the two may not be perfectly proportional. Temperature also plays a role in determining pressure and density, and can be accounted for through equations of state such as the ideal gas law. However, the effect of temperature on density may be negligible for some fluids, such as liquids.
Nathanael
Homework Helper
If a fluid is compressible, will the density be directly proportional to the pressure?

(I'm sure there's a limit where an increase in pressure stops producing a change in density, but I'm talking about for more "normal" (smaller) amounts of pressure.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you assuming constant temperature as well?

paisiello2 said:
Are you assuming constant temperature as well?

Temperature would effect the energy, right?

And pressure is essentially the density of energy, (Newton-Meters per Cubic Meter)

So wouldn't a change in temperature only effect the pressure? And so it doesn't really need to be considered when considering the relationship between pressure and density, right?

Or no?

Nathanael said:
If a fluid is compressible, will the density be directly proportional to the pressure?

(I'm sure there's a limit where an increase in pressure stops producing a change in density, but I'm talking about for more "normal" (smaller) amounts of pressure.)
The word "proportional" has a certain exactness to it, and nothing is exact. The most one can say is that the density increases with increasing pressure. Over limited regions of pressure, the density change is approximately proportional to the pressure change.

Chet

Well, if temperature affects pressure and pressure in turn affects density then the conclusion is that temperature would also affect density.

Or no?

paisiello2 said:
Well, if temperature affects pressure and pressure in turn affects density then the conclusion is that temperature would also affect density.

Or no?
I think Nathanael, in his original post, was referring to the effect of pressure on density at constant temperature. At least that was my interpretation.

Nathanael, is that what you meant?

Chet

paisiello2 said:

Or no?

Sorry, I wasn't thinking about my last post. I was under the unexamined impression that a change in pressure caused by temperature would affect the density (simply because it affects pressure) but now that I'm thinking about it, I realize that a change in pressure caused by temperature will have no effect on density (right?).

Chestermiller said:
I think Nathanael, in his original post, was referring to the effect of pressure on density at constant temperature. At least that was my interpretation.

Nathanael, is that what you meant?

Chet

In a sense I was talking about constant temperature, (in the sense that temperature was not a part of my picture) but honestly I didn't think about temperature.

(I never learned or thought of temperature affecting pressure, even though it's a common-sense kind of idea.)

Chestermiller said:
The most one can say is that the density increases with increasing pressure.

My original question was just asking is if the increase in density was (approximately) linear, or if it curved upward, or curved downward, (or what I really mean is does it "bend" downward) or what?

Chestermiller said:
Over limited regions of pressure, the density change is approximately proportional to the pressure change.

That answers the question. Thanks.

Temperature absolutely and directly affects the pressure and density. For example, many gases behave as ideal gases at most ordinary conditions and so very closely follow the ideal gas law, which can be expressed as

$$p = \rho R T$$

where ##p## is pressure, ##\rho## is density, ##R## is the specific gas constant, and ##T## is temperature.

Likes 1 person
Liquids are generally nearly incompressible so usually this isn't a concern. You can likely find a similar equation of state for liquids like water but I don't know it off the top of my head and it won't be terribly useful.

Real gases generally follow a similar pattern to ideal gases but with various corrections and variations on things like exponents depending in the gas in question and the phenomenon causing it to behave non-ideally.

Related to Pressure and density of compressible fluids.

1. What is the relationship between pressure and density of compressible fluids?

The relationship between pressure and density of compressible fluids can be described by the compressibility factor, which is a measure of how much the density of a fluid changes in response to a change in pressure. As pressure increases, the density of a compressible fluid will also increase, and as pressure decreases, the density will decrease.

2. How does temperature affect the pressure and density of compressible fluids?

Temperature has a significant impact on the pressure and density of compressible fluids. As temperature increases, the molecules in a fluid will have more energy and move faster, resulting in an increase in pressure. This increase in pressure will also cause the density of the fluid to decrease.

3. What are some examples of compressible fluids?

Some common examples of compressible fluids include gases such as air, steam, and natural gas. These fluids have the ability to change in volume when subjected to changes in pressure, making them compressible.

4. How is the pressure and density of compressible fluids measured?

The pressure and density of compressible fluids can be measured using instruments such as pressure gauges and density meters. These instruments can provide accurate readings of the pressure and density of a fluid at a given temperature and can be used to track changes in these properties over time.

5. What is the significance of understanding the pressure and density of compressible fluids?

Understanding the pressure and density of compressible fluids is crucial in many scientific and engineering applications. It is essential for designing and operating systems that involve the use of compressible fluids, such as gas pipelines, jet engines, and refrigeration systems. It also has implications in fields such as meteorology and geology, where the behavior of gases and fluids in the atmosphere and Earth's crust is studied.